Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Relative merits of MQM tier award options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

I am weighing the relative merit of the various options that I can select from for my 100K MQM Tier award.

15,000 miles is OK, but I have more miles than I have been able to find time to use, and I have to imagine that we will continue to see DL handing out bonus mileage like candy on Halloween.

All my clients tend to fly as much as I do, so gifting Silver Medallion to a client is not a consideration.

My wife, when she travels by herself, generally tends to fly WN (smart lady), so it is not readily apparent that gifting her Silver status would be of much benefit.

However, some questions:

If we are traveling together on the same PNR, does she get the same baggage fee waiver and baggage allowance that I, as a Plat do? There are situations where she separately flies DL to join me as I conclude a business-related trip, so Silver would get her the bag fee waiver in that situation.

As a paid SkyClub member, the SkyClub one day passes are of no value to me personally. But, do they have an expiration date, and are they transferable?

Finally, if I am interpreting the 2010 Plat benefits correctly, it appears that I will have a second opportunity to make this same (or similar) selection again when my new Plat credential package arrives. Correct?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
If we are traveling together on the same PNR, does she get the same baggage fee waiver and baggage allowance that I, as a Plat do? There are situations where she separately flies DL to join me as I conclude a business-related trip, so Silver would get her the bag fee waiver in that situation.

As a paid SkyClub member, the SkyClub one day passes are of no value to me personally. But, do they have an expiration date, and are they transferable?

Finally, if I am interpreting the 2010 Plat benefits correctly, it appears that I will have a second opportunity to make this same (or similar) selection again when my new Plat credential package arrives. Correct?
1. yes
2. the old NW WC passes usually had an expiration date on them, if the SC passes don't have an ex date printed on them I would expect them to not expire
3. if you select the status gift now you cannot select to gift status to someone else unless you cross the 150K level and gift gold to someone

As for the bonus miles, you could always take them and burn them in the Medallion Marketplace...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Thank you
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:21 am

Location: Louisville, KY, DL PM-MM, AA PLT, HH DIA, Marriott PLT, Avis CHM, Yada, Yada, Yada
When will gift post?

I gifted my wife SM as my choice for PM bonus around the first part of December. Does anyone know when that will hit her account for upgrade purposes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.