Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles miracle fare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I actually am trying to find 2 One Way Tix in F/J from BCN to MCO in April. Not only can I not get the low tier, but since their are no One Way awards, this is just insane.

200,000 is bad for a round trip, but for a one way it is just WRONG....
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL SM, Priority Club Rewards
I was going to make a new thread for this, but maybe someone in here can explain this.

MSP to NRT (Tokyo, JP) shows as 120k miles round trip in coach non-stop.

If I throw in MSP to KIX (Osaka/Kansai, JP) coach there is a lay over in NRT, but it only costs 90k miles round trip all the way to KIX.

I'm thinking of just booking to KIX and missing my plane once I get to NRT lol.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush86
I was going to make a new thread for this, but maybe someone in here can explain this.

MSP to NRT (Tokyo, JP) shows as 120k miles round trip in coach non-stop.

If I throw in MSP to KIX (Osaka/Kansai, JP) coach there is a lay over in NRT, but it only costs 90k miles round trip all the way to KIX.

I'm thinking of just booking to KIX and missing my plane once I get to NRT lol.
If you miss your NRT-KIX flight, your return flight will be cancelled. The throw-away ticket trick only works on the very last leg of the itin, and even then there is some (small) risk but many report that if you don't do it often, the a/ls usually won't call you on it.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think one needs to bear in mind that there are some people on this board that just like to complain. Those that don't have trouble finding availability don't feel the need to post, so the reality of SkyMiles redemptions is not nearly as bad as the 'consensus' on this board.
Good point.
Having made 3 TATL BE award trips in the last 12 months, I did get what I needed, on the dates I needed, and for the price I needed on all occasions. One was completely trivial -- direct flights there and back, and for 75K for that matter -- the other two did require quite some research and resulted in two-stop itineraries on the way back. Which is quite OK with me. If those cheap tickets are too easy to find, then we won't see many of them
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
Originally Posted by GBadger
Doesn't Delta charge a "close to departure" fee for non elite members? Could this be why?
Of course.
A consideration mentioned above -- with less time until departure, they can be more sure they're not losing a paying customer by releasing a seat for "free" -- is also valid; but when you see everything Medium more than exactly 3 weeks before departure, and almost everything Low less than 3 weeks... that's one no-brainer
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ADLFO
If you miss your NRT-KIX flight, your return flight will be cancelled. The throw-away ticket trick only works on the very last leg of the itin, and even then there is some (small) risk but many report that if you don't do it often, the a/ls usually won't call you on it.
Thanks for the info. That really seems stupid, but maybe I'm just naive. I'm 23 and this is the first time I've traveled enough for business to accumulate a worthwhile amount of miles.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, DL MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think one needs to bear in mind that there are some people on this board that just like to complain. Those that don't have trouble finding availability don't feel the need to post, so the reality of SkyMiles redemptions is not nearly as bad as the 'consensus' on this board. I have little more trouble using my DL miles than I do using CO, SK, or BA miles.

Yeah, just look for a low business award from IAH-BKK ANYTIME from now until August.

Then, when you find a supposed available date (there was I think one or two), then try to book it. It jumps up to MID or HIGH.

So yeah, nothing to complain about, lol.

DL is great with award seat availability. Sheesh.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Kaeokai
Yeah, just look for a low business award from IAH-BKK ANYTIME from now until August.

Then, when you find a supposed available date (there was I think one or two), then try to book it. It jumps up to MID or HIGH.

So yeah, nothing to complain about, lol.

DL is great with award seat availability. Sheesh.
Have you bothered to pick up the phone? Considering the number of partners not online (China Southern, China Air, China Eastern, Malaysia, Singapore, Korean - I don't think they are actually online fully), looking online and giving up doesn't seem like the best option. Or, you could just complain about it.

Last edited by pbarnette; Jan 8, 2010 at 1:55 pm
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:53 pm

This really is finicky. I changed my dates a bit to fly out/return in the middle of the week. Now I can get from MSP to NRT with 1 2hr layover for 60k. Thanks for the pointers on how far out to schedule.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I don't have a beef with availability of award seats at the low level tiers (although it has been more difficult to find but that could be explained by the increased load factors this past year). What is frustrating is the amount of effort required to actually find and book those seats. The needle is in the haystack, it's just often hard to find. When nwa.com goes down, it will be even more difficult in my experience.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold, UA 1P , Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Can someone find a J award IAD-DUS return 24th of March/29th march? I found 106K but I only have 80K.
Any ideas?
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I'm wondering....

I'm wondering, do people really expect the low redemption tier to pop up all the time, every time? And when it doesnt, Delta is *$%*?

I'm wondering, do the folks that participate on the other airline threads also complain about the lack of low award availability like they do here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.