Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Companion upgrades?

We're planning to fly JFK-SAN in February. I see that all of the nonstop flights are fare code T -- does that automatically mean that my girlfriend cannot be upgraded, even if I am? (I'm Silver, she's not.) Has anyone had any luck getting an upgrade on a discounted fare flight? The funny thing is that we'd be happy to pay a little more for the chance to upgrade together...
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Typically, your companion cannot be upgraded on LUT fares. If you want to see the other fare classes, you will have to do a Full Search and then choose the lowest fare class you want to see (you want K or higher, in order to be eligible for companion upgrades). Be advised, you will only clear if both pax (Medallion and companion) will clear, unless the GA is nice to you.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:10 pm
djx

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold, Delta Silver (The lowest tier trifecta)
Something to note, I have a flight on delta booked as the northwest codeshare. Northwest sees the flight as K, Delta sees it as T (killed my companion upgrade chances). So it does make a difference which codeshare is booked.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:02 am

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
If you want to see the other fare classes, you will have to do a Full Search and then choose the lowest fare class you want to see (you want K or higher, in order to be eligible for companion upgrades). Be advised, you will only clear if both pax (Medallion and companion) will clear, unless the GA is nice to you.
+1.

As an FYI, weekday JFK-SAN (evening flight) was always booked (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday). There were many times as a GM where i ended up being in a gate lottery situation. Not that this doesn't mean there couldn't have been a companion upgrade. Then again, I flew SAN-JFK R/T 7 or 8 times on DL last year and got upgraded on all legs. Most were gate lottery, but every so often one would upgrade earlier.

This is a very long flight, so hopefully you get the UG. Unfortunately, JFK-SAN isn't on the BizElite list like JFK-SFO/JFK-LAX (You may want to consider doing a JFK-LAX-SAN to try out the new bizelite, but again... its a long flight already)...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by djx
Something to note, I have a flight on delta booked as the northwest codeshare. Northwest sees the flight as K, Delta sees it as T (killed my companion upgrade chances). So it does make a difference which codeshare is booked.
Still doesn't matter. If it's coded as Delta, no companion upgrades on L/U/T. If it's coded as Northwest, no companion upgrades on L/T/K. You might find a gate agent that doesn't know the rules, but the upgrade shouldn't happen without a prompt...
Old Jan 8, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: DL DM
The only way you might have luck is if economy class is oversold and there are empty seats in first class after all Medallion upgrades have been processed. I've managed to pull this off twice flying with a non-elite companion.

Still irks me you need to pay in the ballpark of 50% more for the companion ticket for them to have the chance of upgrading behind Silver Medallions. I'd be willing to pay that difference once I knew the upgrade would clear; but to invest it months in advance when the chances of upgrade are close to zero is just illogical. I am sure very few spend the extra money.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: Skymiles Plat, Thai Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold
Totally agree: the added problem is that trying to use the companion upgrade feature not only has virtually zero chances of success but it also "drags down" the lead passenger and make his upgrade chances non existent no matter what his status as both passengers are now considered as a single "item".
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by mersk862
Still doesn't matter. If it's coded as Delta, no companion upgrades on L/U/T. If it's coded as Northwest, no companion upgrades on L/T/K. You might find a gate agent that doesn't know the rules, but the upgrade shouldn't happen without a prompt...
The NW res system doesn't seem to recognize that restriction. I've not gotten a automated upgrade at OLCI for a companion on a T fare on two NW-operated flights.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:48 pm
djx

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold, Delta Silver (The lowest tier trifecta)
Originally Posted by mersk862
If it's coded as Delta, no companion upgrades on L/U/T. If it's coded as Northwest, no companion upgrades on L/T/K.

thats what i meant by "killed my chances" lol
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:01 pm

Is there a chnce at an upgrade if the companion is on a HKQ fare and the FO is on a LUT fare? There is some kind of procedure to list the companion upgrade as possible even when the reservation is split, according to the DL website.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
FWIW I have had very little luck in upgrading a companion on west coast JFK flights (companions without status). If I want my wife to fly with me in FC, I typically have to book her on a separate K class ticket ahead of time and then use a PSU or miles in order to get her in the FC cabin.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. So it sounds like I need to book our tickets separately if I want to book the cheapest fares (to save money) for any chance of upgrading, because she would be ineligible for a companion upgrade on a (T) flight. Is that right? Otherwise the system considers us a single item, and since she's not allowed to move up, I won't either. (Yes, I would abandon her in coach. She sleeps the whole flight anyway. )
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jaa37
So it sounds like I need to book our tickets separately if I want to book the cheapest fares (to save money) for any chance of upgrading, because she would be ineligible for a companion upgrade on a (T) flight. Is that right? Otherwise the system considers us a single item, and since she's not allowed to move up, I won't either. (Yes, I would abandon her in coach. She sleeps the whole flight anyway. )
Book them through any mechanism you wish, then call to separate the record so you are upgrade-eligible.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: HH-Gold, MR-Platinum, SPG-Gold, AA-Platinum, UA-Silver, Alaska-Gold, National-EE
Originally Posted by SamOF
The NW res system doesn't seem to recognize that restriction. I've not gotten a automated upgrade at OLCI for a companion on a T fare on two NW-operated flights.
Has anybody else experienced this? Not doubting you, but I'm concerned this might be more of a fluke rather than a trend.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Book them through any mechanism you wish, then call to separate the record so you are upgrade-eligible.
This route is a double edge sword if you are checking bags. If on the same PNR your travel companion gets the same baggage allowance (i.e. two free). Split the PNR and they are paying for baggage and if playing the gate lottery and you lose not only do you pay for baggage but sit in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.