Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re Platinum Medallion Packet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2010, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Questions re Platinum Medallion Packet

This is my first time as an OP. I haven't been able to find answers to several questions that I have following the receipt of my Platinum Medallion packet a couple of days ago. I was GM, formerly GE on NW, until December 3, when I made PM for the first time. Here are my questions:

1. Is this my 2010 packet or is it the packet for 2009 that I would have received if I had made plat earlier in 2009? The card and luggage tags have 02/11 as the expiration date, as do other contents of the packet, such as the freebie coupons for drinks, etc. However, the packet makes no mention of the choice benefits that are listed on the Delta website medallion benefits chart or how to make one's selection.

2. The packet includes 4 PMU certificates. Are these the ones I would choose from the choice benefits or are they really 2009 certificates? They do not expire until 2/28/2011. If they are 2010 benefits, why include them if they are only one of five benefit options? Am I likely to have the choice of another 4 PMUs after February 28, when my full plat year begins?

3. I have read conjecture on these forums that later in 2010 Delta might ease the expensive fare bases required for using the PMUs. Is this pure wishful thinking or is there some factual basis for this possibility?

I hope this is not too long and wordy. I will appreciate whatever light anyone can shed on these issues. I talked with a Delta representative but didn't get any clarity from the phone conversation.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:06 pm

Welcome.

You made Platinum in 2009; it expires at the end of February 2011. The material in the packet is unrelated to the new Medallion program for Platinums and Diamonds. The new Medallion program and choice benefits do not kick in until March 2010. At that time, you will be offered one choice.

Don't count on reduced fare bases. Delta has been managing its inventory tightly.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks, BravoZulu.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Fully unfold the PMUs, you may find there are six.

Since the 2010 program in general begins on 3/1/2010 you should get your choice benefit at that time. IMHO.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bwhite
Fully unfold the PMUs, you may find there are six.

Since the 2010 program in general begins on 3/1/2010 you should get your choice benefit at that time. IMHO.
Nope, just four. Maybe they reduced the number since I qualified so late in the year. Since I can't afford to use them anyway, I probably won't question Delta about the number.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Nope, just four.
I am surprised. In another thread someone thought there was only 4 but later discovered there were 6.

Six after all

Full thread
Earned Platinum in 2009- How Come only 4 PMUs? from 12/23/09
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Nope, just four. Maybe they reduced the number since I qualified so late in the year. Since I can't afford to use them anyway, I probably won't question Delta about the number.
Did you get your Platinum welcome gift? It is a choice of Tiffany stuff worth about $100.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Awsm
Did you get your Platinum welcome gift? It is a choice of Tiffany stuff worth about $100.
Really? I didn't know that. Of course, it's not something I care about -- I'd much rather receive $100 in good chocolates.

Still awaiting my Plat packet for mid-December qualification.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:50 pm

Was this an NWA thing? If so chock it up as another DL downgrade for NW Plats.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Taj Silver
Huh. No, I haven't.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Yes, there are six PMUs!

Thank you, bwhite. I followed the thread you referenced, looked again at the certificates, and found that there are indeed six, folded into fourths. It took about five attempts before I overcame my incorrect visual assumptions.

But there is definitely no Tiffany stuff. Does that come separately or has it been discontinued?

My drink/headset coupons don't expire until the end of 2011. I hope I'm upgraded often enough not to need them anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
So, why are some folks receiving PMU's in the mail if Delta hasn't mailed out the option for choice benefits yet? I've made DM for 2010, should I have already received PMU's or some other medaillion mailing?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
My understanding was that the Tiffany gift choice was a welcome gift for existing NW Plats. I have not heard that the gift was being offered to those who hit Plat after the WP program was rolled into SM.

nypdLieu: the PMU's are being sent out to those who rose from Gold to Plat in 2009.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by bkmn
My understanding was that the Tiffany gift choice was a welcome gift for existing NW Plats. I have not heard that the gift was being offered to those who hit Plat after the WP program was rolled into SM.

nypdLieu: the PMU's are being sent out to those who rose from Gold to Plat in 2009.
Ahhh, O.K. But, Don't PM's also choose from the choice benefit awards? What if a PM didnt want to choose the PMU's? Are they stuck with them and dont get to choose from the other choice awards? Sorry for my idiotness, but it seems that some PM's received 2010 PMU's without choosing them as there choice benefit.

So, does this mean they still get to pick there choice benefit come March 1st? If so, they could wind up with 4 more PMU's giving them a total of 10?

I would love some clarification, thank you
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Ahhh, O.K. But, Don't PM's also choose from the choice benefit awards? What if a PM didnt want to choose the PMU's? Are they stuck with them and dont get to choose from the other choice awards? Sorry for my idiotness, but it seems that some PM's received 2010 PMU's without choosing them as there choice benefit.

So, does this mean they still get to pick there choice benefit come March 1st? If so, they could wind up with 4 more PMU's giving them a total of 10?

I would love some clarification, thank you
Those are 2009 benefits. For the 2010 year you will be able to select PMU's or other PM/DL benefits. Yes, some new PM's could end up with 10 PMU's if they so desire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.