Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How many carry-on items allowed on international flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL

I'm scheduled to fly NWA tomorrow from NRT to JFK.

Has Northwest's carry-on policy for international-origin flights destined for the US changed in the wake of the attempted bombing a few days ago?

Can I take one carry-on bag and one personal item as before, or will I be restricted to a single item and have to check the rest?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 9:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I flew NW NRT-MSP on Monday and there was no change--just the brief patdown by same-sex official and cursory look into carry-on items in the jetway, plus the sit down with no blankets, etc. during the last hour. I posted details (long) in another thread.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
Thanks for responding, MSPEconomist.
(I did see your other post yesterday.)
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
Came back from Aruba yesterday. Still 2 allowed, but they searched every carry-on bag
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:15 am

Right now, the only changes are for passengers coming FROM Canada into the U.S.

You can view the current carry-on luggage policies here:

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/carryon.html

Northwest allows you to carry one piece of baggage on board the aircraft plus a purse or briefcase or laptop computer or small backpack. The carry-on baggage must be of a size and shape to allow for storage in overhead compartments or underneath the seat in front of you.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP

"Effective immediately and until further notice, the Canadian Air Transportation Security Authority (CATSA) has disallowed carry-on bags for those passengers originating in Canada and traveling to the United States. This measure supersedes Northwest's carry-on baggage policy, and passengers will be charged the applicable checked bag fees for baggage checked during this time."

I read this to say that NW is charging checked luggage fees for the bag that the PAX would otherwise be carrying onto the plane. Is this correct?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

I read this to say that NW is charging checked luggage fees for the bag that the PAX would otherwise be carrying onto the plane. Is this correct?
I'm glad DL was quite specific with the release. Although the policy .
Old Dec 31, 2009, 8:47 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)

Mrs. D. travelling on a NWA ticket (with one KL segment in it) at 12/26 inbound to the U.S. was told only one piece of carry-on is acceptable. Be careful with the code-share connecting flights as the briefcase/notebook/small backpack rule seems to have gone.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by motytrah
I'm glad DL was quite specific with the release. Although the policy .
The same message is on both the NW and DL websites.

If they are indeed charging baggage fees for the bags that PAX would otherwise be carrying on, this would reinforce the impression that DL management is totally tone-deaf when it comes to customer service issues.

"We are sorry for any inconvenience... but not sufficiently sorry to forgo the windfall income that this will produce."
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:09 am

actually, the rules are more restricted for flights originated from Canada. However, it looks like to be on a temporarily basis in order to ease congestion/delay

Temporary emergency measures include no carry-on bags to U.S.A.

Effective immediately, CATSA is implementing temporary emergency measures at security checkpoints under the direction of Transport Canada. These measures are in response to a failed terrorist attack on board an aircraft from Amsterdam to Detroit on December 25, 2009. These new measures will affect all flights from Canada to the United States.

U.S.A. bound passengers are permitted zero carry-on bags effective immediately and lasting for several days.
Passengers travelling within Canada are still permitted two carry-on bags (although to make the screening process most efficient, fewer carry-on items is preferred).

These rules will be strictly enforced during this period. There will be no flexibility.

Carry-on bag means items to which a passenger has access to during a flight, but does NOT include personal items such as small purses, cameras, coats, items for care of infants, laptop computers, diplomatic or consular bags, crutches, canes, walkers, containers carrying life sustaining items, medication or medical devices, musical instruments, or any special needs items.

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/Page.as...esures&lang=en
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: Peasant at large
Originally Posted by aznfreak007
Thanks for the link. Looks like Canada will continue to be quite an annoyance for business travel.

Anybody know if there's anything on LHR for DL flights? I know BA is particularly uptight about these things and I see the note on LGW but couldn't find anything on LHR.

I got a trip coming up and want to pack efficiently. If I can carry 2 onboard, will be packing very light and no shopping at all. If I'm forced to check a bag anyway then I'll just bring a bigger one and not worry about packing.

Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by crunchie
Anybody know if there's anything on LHR for DL flights? I know BA is particularly uptight about these things and I see the note on LGW but couldn't find anything on LHR.
Flew out of LHR in BE this week and was limited to one carry-on item.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I also flew exFRA two days ago and was also limited to one carry-on, which at first glance would seem to be a pain in the ..., but upon arrival into atlanta, the lines for passport control were moving slower than molasses. In fact they only had 4 agents working about 300-400 people, whereas they had almost every single CBP position filled on the non-us passport area. One thing that pisses me off is when they have the supervisors up on the steps and they just look around and not do a damn thing about filling positions.

Sorry about the rant, anyways, by the time I passed thru passport control bags were already out on the belt, which was nice.

Plan for one carry on, even though you are able to fly out of the US with two.

zz
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
I guess it comes down to semantics. Bag, piece or item?

Coming back from SYD last Sunday, Mrs. MachOne and I were each allowed two items. I had a "sizewise" compliant roll-a-board and a laptop computer as carry-on items. Wife had a purse (a bag as far as I'm concerned) and a another bag that contained fragile items we had purchased. All pieces were tagged with the red adhesive Delta cabin adhesive tags by the CSR at the check-in desk.

We were told by the check-in CSR to be at the gate 1.5 hours before departure. Security at the entrance to the gate holding area asked if we were traveling together, I said yes and they let us pass with no additional search. I did notice some other passengers shunts off to a table and security was busy going through their carry items. There really was not any appreciable delay.

I could have spent another 30-40 minutes in the Koru lounge ^^

MO
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:34 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
How could you read that? The policy on nwa.com seems clear:

"This measure supersedes Northwest's carry-on baggage policy, and Northwest will waive the applicable checked bag fees for baggage checked during this time."

Waive means "not charge"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.