Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can DL do a better job resuming flights after WX cancellations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can DL do a better job resuming flights after WX cancellations?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver
Of course it is easier to say now that the storm probably wasn't as bad as people thought, but what I really wonder is why no one at Delta stopped to think about the situation a bit first. Does no one in this case say, let's try to keep more flights uncancelled than not, since it's right before a, or perhaps the, major holiday of the year? I feel bad, I mean maybe I'll sit coach for my flight Wednesday, but at least I have a confirmed seat still- what about the people from these two days of cancelled flights that won't get home in time for Christmas? That really sucks for them... I would think that if you really wanted to be a customer-oriented organization, you would make that call, to try to at least get flights out, if delayed, during this time, but then again no one's recently been blaming Delta for being too customer oriented. I'm no DL basher, they've been fine for most of the time since I came over from NW, but their practices are a bit funny sometimes. I really wish I had booked the continental flight for my upcoming trip, which would have been confirmed both ways in first at the time of booking with the M class fares I paid for. I was trying to get back over the threshold for this year, but now I wonder for what... for PMU's that aren't that useful anymore? Meh...
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Damed if you do, damed if you don't. You either get "why did DL overreact and cancel so early?" or "OMG, Delta held me hostage on the airplane for over 4 hours..." At some point the call has to be made. By the way, there are more airports that were impacted other than the NYC airports.

As mentioned earlier, JetBlue in 2007 continued to try to operate while other airlines cancelled. Eventually the news went from the weather to B6 stranding flyers for hours as planes de-iced, taxied out, taxied in, de-iced, taxi-out in hopes of taking off. The JetBlue customer bill of rights was created because of this "fiasco."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/20/news...ion=2007022017

http://jetbluehostage.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Damed if you do, damed if you don't. You either get "why did DL overreact and cancel so early?" or "OMG, Delta held me hostage on the airplane for over 4 hours..." At some point the call has to be made. By the way, there are more airports that were impacted other than the NYC airports.

As mentioned earlier, JetBlue in 2007 continued to try to operate while other airlines cancelled. Eventually the news went from the weather to B6 stranding flyers for hours as planes de-iced, taxied out, taxied in, de-iced, taxi-out in hopes of taking off. The JetBlue customer bill of rights was created because of this "fiasco."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/20/news...ion=2007022017

http://jetbluehostage.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
The Jet Blue fiasco revealed systemic management problems. The storm they were dealt was no worse than other airlines that weekend.

Delta avoided the news media risk of people stuck on tarmacs but the disproportionate number of cancellations and lack of options while all of their competitors came through with a better outcome.

Just not buying the argument it was sheer luck at play here. Delta significantly underperformed its peers as a result of a management decision. If this is a function of their scale then that is a valid reason to avoid them as their current scale is a choice.

I am seriously considering both DL and CO as a primary carrier out of NY and really want them to work. This weekends handlng is a check on the box of image over substance.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Dredging up yet again B6 in 2007 does nothing to explain how DL is handling the situation today. Perhaps it has more to do with the fact that a lot of DL's feed at JFK is made up of regional jets which are the first to get cut when airport operations are limited or DL's substandard terminal which makes it difficult to get planes in and out. It is all about the customer service--not the excuses. Even VX being a tiny airline was able to add extra flights today out of JFK to get all of their stranded people out of NYC. A lot easier for a smaller airline which does not even protect passengers on other legacy carriers to provide superior service than for a giant behemoth like DL. That is why I would take B6 or VX anyday over any legacy carrier. Perhaps this is a lesson to people in NYC and BOS to avoid DL when the weather may be bad. B6 made a mistake and people (except for some on this board who are fixed in the past) forgave them because they provide passengers with a "bill of rights" to fix problems when they occur. They also changed their management and their way of operating. Can the same be said for DL? NYC and BOS for that matter are big markets and people have choices--which may not be the case in other DL markets. Time will tell if bigger will eventually be better---or just bigger.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
I understand about yesterday and early this morning, but the excessive cancellations later today were completely unwarranted.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:21 pm

DL has added 4 extra flights to LGA for 21DEC, an extra 777 and 2 extra 752's to JFK tomorrow to helpw with the overflow.

FYI.

Also, I challenge anyone here to come up with a better plan to mitigate what was one of the worst storms I've seen come through the east coast in a long while.

Instead of criticizing an operation that is beyond the scope of most people here (including myself--I just get to see bits and pieces), possibly suggest a solution--that might make this a more interesting conversation as opposed to the usual "DL sucks" choir here on FT.

Best.
-b-
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by DLBeno
DL has added 4 extra flights to LGA for 21DEC, an extra 777 and 2 extra 752's to JFK tomorrow to helpw with the overflow.

FYI.

Also, I challenge anyone here to come up with a better plan to mitigate what was one of the worst storms I've seen come through the east coast in a long while.

Instead of criticizing an operation that is beyond the scope of most people here (including myself--I just get to see bits and pieces), possibly suggest a solution--that might make this a more interesting conversation as opposed to the usual "DL sucks" choir here on FT.

Best.
-b-
Nowhere on here have I sensed any 'Delta sucks' mentality. me personally, I am a staunch supporter of Delta Air Lines, however I also realize that Delta can and needs improvement in certain areas. One of those areas is in flight resumptions after WX cancelations. It is constructive criticism. As a loyal and elite Delta flier, its upsetting to watch other NYC airlines operate a much smoother flight schedule then DL. I know its not easy work but if Jetblue, Continental, United and others can operate a signifcant number of flights to the west coast, then why cant Delta? Facts are facts.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Where are the statistics? Airport/Airline/Number of Flights Scheduled/Number of flights Canceled? How do you all know that Delta canceled more flights percentage wise vs. the other airlines? Just curious here, I'm not doubting this thread.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
Nowhere on here have I sensed any 'Delta sucks' mentality. me personally, I am a staunch supporter of Delta Air Lines, however I also realize that Delta can and needs improvement in certain areas. One of those areas is in flight resumptions after WX cancelations. It is constructive criticism. As a loyal and elite Delta flier, its upsetting to watch other NYC airlines operate a much smoother flight schedule then DL. I know its not easy work but if Jetblue, Continental, United and others can operate a signifcant number of flights to the west coast, then why cant Delta? Facts are facts.
I agree! We don't need to be "homers"
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Marriott Platinum, Car Rental Agnostic
they might have added extra flights to ATL

but they didn't add anything to MSP, or if they did they did not offer it to me before they cancelled my ticket and told me I couldn't fly till the 23rd.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveller
Where are the statistics? Airport/Airline/Number of Flights Scheduled/Number of flights Canceled? How do you all know that Delta canceled more flights percentage wise vs. the other airlines? Just curious here, I'm not doubting this thread.
Using today's date and the west coast as examples, here are the cancellations:

JFK to LAX

UAL 3 out of 6 flights were cxld

AA 4 out of 10 flights were cxld

Jetblue 2 out of 2 flights cxld

Continental (EWR) 1 out of 7 cxld

Delta 5 out of 7 cxld

JFK to SFO

UAL 3 out of 7 cxld

AA 3 out of 5 cxld

JB 0 out of 1 cxld

CO (EWR) 0 out of 6 cxld

Delta 4 out of 4 cxld

JFK to LAS

AA 0 out of 1 cxld

JB 2 out of 4 cxld

CO (EWR) 1 out of 4 cxld

Delta 3 out of 4 cxld

JFK to SEA

AA 0 out of 1 cxld

JB 0 out of 1 cxld

CO (EWR) 0 out of 4 cxld

Delta 2 out of 3 cxld

You dont want to know the cancellations to the southern states, its worse. Oh, O.K. I'll tell you. Delta cancelled every single flight from JFK to all of its Florida airports today.

Hats off to Continental though, looks like they did a marvelous job. Not only did they get a majority of there flights off the ground, but they were on time or early.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Dec 20, 2009 at 8:22 pm
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
To extend a bit to all NYC-SFO/LAX

United -- 9 of 15 flew today
American -- 8 of 14 flew today
Virgin -- 7 of 11 flew today
Continental -- 12 of 13 flew today
JetBlue -- 10 of 13 (includes OAK, LGB, BUR)
Delta -- 2 of 11 flew today, and those two were only on the LAX route
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nypdLieu
AndyTLE,

Great argument, but as you said, it is an issue for all airlines, an issue that impacts DL the most. so, what is DL doing wrong?

being a PM with Delta and giving them all my business, its very frustrating that they seem to always be dead last with resuming flights and pro-actively cxling flights after wx related issues.

Try to get a seat on DL from JFK to SFO at all for the rest of this week, NOT gonna happen.

Again, if DL wants to be NY's leading airline, I'd think they better come up with a better, a more up to date plan, in dealing with these problems.
I agree overall they have to have a better plan. They will not be able to get everyone where they are going maybe until after the weekend. You can say whatever you want about the weather the whys and hows, but the fact of the matter is they are not living up to there contract. IE get some one from point A to B. I understand the airline business is tough, but at the end of the day I do not care. You sell a product that people expect you to deliver on.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by troyintn
I agree overall they have to have a better plan. They will not be able to get everyone where they are going maybe until after the weekend. You can say whatever you want about the weather the whys and hows, but the fact of the matter is they are not living up to there contract. IE get some one from point A to B. I understand the airline business is tough, but at the end of the day I do not care. You sell a product that people expect you to deliver on.
How can you not get a SINGLE plane off the ground out of JFK to ANY Florida airport today? I mean, not a ONE!

OK, I promise I'm laying off for a bit, but it just infuriates me, just a tad.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wait for JFK/LGA/EWR airport will be reopened again sometimes in the couple days later. IF the snowstorm will eventually go away sudden. So it will have to be more patience for awhile due to snowfalls in NYC areas include EWR, JFK, HPN, LGA, and ISP, too. The passengers will have to give issued another travel voucher for the future trip is $200. There is no needing to get penalties the ticket. You may allowed to have rebooked for next future trip is subject to terms of condition. Your reservations will wait for 1-year later next flight out of JFK/LGA/EWR.

If the weather will get better in the couple days later. It should have running back to normal routine once again. All international & domestic aircraft will have to bring it back into JFK/LGA/EWR. However, it cannot to spent the night at airport for 8 hours maximum. This is not good for those passengers at all. It cannot to being held the hostages during the time. If the weatherize will be gone sooner. They will have to clean it up the snowfalls off the ramp & tarmac, too.

The airport will get back to business and running smoother during the holidays & New Year Day 2010. It should be very successful during those days. I am not worried about the weather in northeastern states. I am not aware about the situation is going on in NYC areas. Please no more wait for than 3 minutes during the plane is takeoff. So please do stepped it up to fixing the congestions. All JFK-Florida, West Coast and Caribbean has already been cancelled tonight or tomorrow. It should have to restorable back to normal routine. IT should have to be more improvable the traffic condition. I can't take the advantage of JFK/LGA/EWR are absolutely very worse airports to wait for a longer delayed. If should have to reduction the congestions and must have to be flexiblity schedules is change without notice .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.