Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flights to Asia using standard mileage chart

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to Asia using standard mileage chart

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Smile Flights to Asia using standard mileage chart

Hi Everyone,
Realizing that it is pretty last minute, does anyone know of any deals to fly to Asia, particularly S.E. Asia, over the December holidays, using standard amounts of mileage? I have found some deals using double or triple the amounts, but prefer not to do that. (Or does anyone know of any super and economic last minute fares to those places/know of any deeply discounted last minute travel sites?
Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk. In order to assist, readers would need more information, specifically what mileage currency you are planning to use, and what itinerary is being considered.

As to discounted fares, Flyertalk is really not a clearing house for that. You might check out the budget travel forum, but people here tend to be more oriented toward collecting miles.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
At this late in the game for trans-pac, unless you can snap some last minute J/F rewards, forget it. There are loads of students that travel between asia and north america this time of the year and they would've snap up any low Y fares back in Sep.

But moderator2 is right, FT is more for collecting miles and earning status and how to use them most efficiently and welcome!
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Using standard Delta mileage fr awards dur Christmas

Thank you, Moderator2and Short Hair Francis!
To be more specific, as Moderator2 mentioned, am looking at using standard rate (i.e. not high season/holiday mileage redemption rates) Delta FF miles for holiday travel between any California airport (though preferably the Los Angeles area) and any Southeast Asian city, like Bangkok, Singapore, Jakarta, Manila, Viet Nam, etc.
Short Hair Francis, what are J/F awards?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
J refers to Business Class (also called C depending on airline alliance. OneWorld crowd call it J and StarAlliance crowd call it C).
F is obviously First Class.

Now, using your DL miles, it would be pretty much impossible to score Y (economy/coach) award for "Low" redemption rate.
You might have better luck scoring business class award.

BTW, welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Did Delta assume Northwest's partner airlines?

Hi,
Thank you kkjay77! I guess I had been hoping I could fly with one of Delta's alllied airlines, to obtain a regular economy ticket, but I think you are right, it will be hard right now at this holiday time. Do you or anyone know if Delta automatically took over Northwest's alllied airlines as partners too?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 9:45 pm

Isn't that information easily available on Delta's website? E.g., go to the website under Skymiles -> Use miles -> Award Travel -> Award & Mileage Upgrade Charts, you'll see a list of redemption on partner airlines.

Welcome to FT and please do some of the leg work when you can.

Originally Posted by Affable1
Hi,
Thank you kkjay77! I guess I had been hoping I could fly with one of Delta's alllied airlines, to obtain a regular economy ticket, but I think you are right, it will be hard right now at this holiday time. Do you or anyone know if Delta automatically took over Northwest's alllied airlines as partners too?
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
With DL miles, you can try looking at China Southern (visa may be needed) and Korean Airlines too. But as I said, this late in the game, all you can hope for is that airlines may have undersold business class and may be willing to take regular mileage for them other than to op-up someone else from coach. I doubt you can get regular coach award now. Also remember, DL miles are like 1920's German marks, not the easiest to get use.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Since you're trying to use Delta Skymiles, I'll move this thread to the Delta forum.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz moderator
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
China Southern is probably your only hope though your chances are still slim. I scored CGK-LAX last year on CZ during the holidays. Beware the 15 hour TPAC in Y on CZ is a nightmarish hell due to 10 across seating on a 777 with 31 inch seat pitch and seats in front of you that recline as if there was a 50 inch seat pitch plus they crank up the cabin heat to uncomfortable levels.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
In years past, you would have had no problem at all doing this in business class, probably not much chance in the back cabin though. Once the early to mid-December rush of expat families returning home from Asia to the US, the front cabin loads really drop and there are generally some empty seats 2 or more days out. In the past, NW would frequently open up "low" level awards for these flights. But as I have reported several times, DL revenue management has completely changed that process. Now they will let the SE Asia planes go out with empty seats (or fill them with nonrevs) rather than open up low level business class awards.

KE is blacked out during these dates, so that wont work. I think your best bet is indeed China Southern via CAN. And you don't need a visa to do that, as PVG, CAN and PEK all give varying transit rights for passengers who are connecting onwards.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, DL MM
I am presently looking for a "low" C/J seat using my Skymiles, anytime February through April, with zero success. Nothing. (I was looking to go on DL/NW metal...I have yet to look into KE options over the phone.)

This is my first time trying to use the DL miles since coming over from NW, and needless to say, I am disappointed. You would think over a 3 month period, and as a plat, there would be at least a couple of options.

I won't spend 370,000 miles for a seat. Period.

D@mn you, you dirty airline!

-k
Old Dec 16, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Welcome to DL. I posted details of my last decade with NW and how things abruptly changed on Oct 1 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-dl-metal.html

DL SM is complete crap in terms of premium cabin awards at the low level. The Europe awards are roughly the same, nowhere near the availability that I've come to expect. Sure if I post the dates and cities someone will find a routing with 4 stopovers or on DL's circa 1999 BE seat. But I'm talking about being able to get a low level award seat on the plane that I buy a ticket on, and until now that wasn't too much to ask.

No use crying over spilt milk though, there is a bright side to this. I status matched to LH, found well timed flight on LX for $1000 less than what DL wanted, including the new LX fully flat business class seat. I used some *A miles to get my wife a seat (a mere 80k miles I might add, which is 1/3 of what DL wanted for a seat on one of its outdated 767s) on the same plane.

*A and OW are getting the lion's share of my business until this changes...

Originally Posted by Kaeokai
I am presently looking for a "low" C/J seat using my Skymiles, anytime February through April, with zero success. Nothing. (I was looking to go on DL/NW metal...I have yet to look into KE options over the phone.)

This is my first time trying to use the DL miles since coming over from NW, and needless to say, I am disappointed. You would think over a 3 month period, and as a plat, there would be at least a couple of options.

I won't spend 370,000 miles for a seat. Period.

D@mn you, you dirty airline!

-k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.