Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kill rollover now

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by fti
So, not only did the rollover MQM's make some people decide to stop short of attaining DM, but it is also making some people, once they reach DM, fly other airlines.

This rollover MQM feature might rank right up there with "new Coke" as the biggest marketing blunder. But I will play the game while it lasts.
U may be right from a marketing stand point, but from a revenue stand point it may have helped.

Many people stoped or reduced flying DL later in the year. Once they hit 75k they starting flying other carriers to get alternate status as there was little reason to keep getting DL miles. The rollover and Diamond was put in place to stop the Q4 revenue bleed from the top customers. DL could care less how many Elites they have. The DL cost is almost zero. They do not care if 10 vs 20 people are on some upgrade list.
The Rollover and Diamond are all about protecting revenue.

Last edited by zman; Nov 30, 2009 at 11:10 am
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Plat
you guys worry too much, most people won't see any benefit from roll over but once every 2 to 5 years IMO.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Kill Miles-Based Levels Now!

I fly 60k-70k every year. Solidly gold. But I do this in 20-30 round trips with (oh so many) DL induced travel interruptions. I spend about 50K a year on DL for myself and another 50K for Mr. tgtg. We never make Plat, we never get good A/C and we rarely get a meal and have a mediocre upgrade success rate.

I hear of so many PM (my pardon to those who are true road warriors with 100K+ BIS miles) that fly a few overseas routes, maybe spend $3-5k...then complain there are too many PMs!

When I'm flying 1000 miles RT on a $1500 ticket, it sucks compared to the 10,000 miles RT on a $625 ticket (JFK-IST).

So, actually, keep miles-based, keep segment-based, but please add a dollars-based!

-=tg=-
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by tgtg
I fly 60k-70k every year. Solidly gold. But I do this in 20-30 round trips with (oh so many) DL induced travel interruptions. I spend about 50K a year on DL for myself and another 50K for Mr. tgtg. We never make Plat, we never get good A/C and we rarely get a meal and have a mediocre upgrade success rate.

I hear of so many PM (my pardon to those who are true road warriors with 100K+ BIS miles) that fly a few overseas routes, maybe spend $3-5k...then complain there are too many PMs!

When I'm flying 1000 miles RT on a $1500 ticket, it sucks compared to the 10,000 miles RT on a $625 ticket (JFK-IST).

So, actually, keep miles-based, keep segment-based, but please add a dollars-based!

-=tg=-

Isn't EP 100% revenue based? I think it is to get in anyway then there are mileage targets to stay EP. So the revenue based staus does exist for DL today.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:10 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by zman
U may be right from a marketing stand point, but from a revenue stand point it may have helped.

Many people stoped or reduced flying DL later in the year. Once they hit 75k they starting flying other carriers to get alternate status as there was little reason to keep getting DL miles. The rollover and Diamond was put in place to stop the Q4 revenue bleed from the top customers. DL could care less how many Elites they have. The DL cost is lamost zero. They do not care if 10 vs 20 people are on some upgrade list.
The Rollover and Diamond are all about protecting revenue.
So tell me how having PM's bailing on DL at the end of 2009 (to avoid reaching DM) and flying other airlines is helping to protect revenue? I guess it is both a marketing and a revenue blunder then.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by fti
So tell me how having PM's bailing on DL at the end of 2009 (to avoid reaching DM) and flying other airlines is helping to protect revenue? I guess it is both a marketing and a revenue blunder then.
Because under the old rules they would have bailed at 75k, instead of ~120k.
What DL marketing messed up is on the puny Diamond beneits.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:13 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tgtg

-=tg=-
I would say that the biggest regret the airlines have when they instituted their FF programs in the 1980's was that they did not make them purely revenue-based. That is one reason why they instituted MQM/EQM. It is one small way to differentiate between those who pay higher fares (i.e. bonus MQM's for premium cabins, etc). Certainly not perfect, but too late to change the programs entirely (not to mention the fact that the sale of FF miles is more conducive to the original FF model).
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I will roll over some miles and segments.
Did Delta announce rollover segments? I was under the impression that MQMs rolled over but not segments. Confused.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:18 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zman
Because under the old rules they would have bailed at 75k, instead of ~120k.
What DL marketing messed up is on the puny Diamond beneits.
I don't buy your theory. Those who were somewhat over 75K MQM's wouldn't be trying to get to DM anyway. Those somewhere in the middle of the 75K to 125K range would most likely have just stayed with DL for the benefits (bailing to another airline to get silver status if even that would not be a huge incentive). That leaves those close to DM who would either strive to get to DM (additional revenue for DL), or bail on them to avoid getting to DM (a loss of revenue).
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:18 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fti
So, not only did the rollover MQM's make some people decide to stop short of attaining DM, but it is also making some people, once they reach DM, fly other airlines.
How does rollover encourage someone to fly another airline once they reach DM?
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by motytrah
Given the MQMs you get from the targeted Amex promos and other non-flight activities I wouldn't count on nearly as huge of a decline in ranks next year. I think the best thing DL could do is get rid of all the non-flight MQM promos. Heck, even the flight promos are getting to be a bit much.
Why would that be the best thing they could do? Are you serious? Maybe its the best thing for a Gold/Plat flyer that one time loses an upgrade because someone reached Gold/Plat by paying $450 for a Reserve Card..... I can give you "$1 billion reasons" why Delta cant/wont/shouldn't get rid of non-flight MQM promos....Companies all over the place are trying to find new ways to make money. By partnering with Amex I know they recieved much needed capital and they also made some money from me, that they otherwise would not have made...... "Today" where most consumers bottom line is price, there is nothing wrong with trying to make money doing other things (thus keeping flight price as low as possible). Partnerships are one way to do that. I dont think Delta should be faulted for trying to find other means to boost their bottom line. They get rid of the MQM's for the Delta Reserve Card....I lose the Delta reserve card.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Beckles
How does rollover encourage someone to fly another airline once they reach DM?
Many people do NOT want to get to DM for many good reasons (the program is not enticing enough) so they are (and have stated here on FT by TONS of travellers) "holding short" and flying other airlines to avoid DM.

I believe if DL would have handed out just 1 SWU that could be used from any fare nearly 100% of those holding short would have crossed the line.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dean1121
I personally hate Rollover. It inflates the upper tiers and takes away the benefit if being an "elite flyer". Just when they bring DM DL brings in rollover to inflate the DM ranks in 2011. Not nice for guys like me who fly BIS 250K+.

It's happened in PM this year, 60 names on UG list, 30-40 PM's on flights, ridiculous.

Am at 99 segs for the year with about 50% UG, I do the Elite heavy ATL-LAX most weeks so allowing the DM tier to artificially inflate will hurt guys like me. When I fly other routs I get upgraded most of the time. Don't get me wrong, I love DL and they do a great job from my perspective, just keep DM for really frequent flyers.

KILL ROLLOVER NOW
Don't worry. I'll fall to GM next year after flying 125K BIS last year. One less to compete. I don't miss the additional travel either. I'll fly coach more and enjoy being at home while the DMs travel. This game isn't as fun as it used to be.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
I think the 125K threshold for DM will eliminate 90% of the current PMs, even with roll over next year. It will be 3 or 4 DMs on your flights, and your upgrade will once again be available.
Love it

People don't get that absolute inflation doesn't matter - *relative* inflation does. If non-BIS fliers are given more opportunities to earn MQMs versus pure-BIS fliers, then there certainly could be a basis for concern by BIS fliers that they will have more competition, as they will be at a competitive disadvantage *relative* to non-BISers. (Keep in mind, however, that non-BIS MQMs may be more profitable for Delta, and the higher profits they make the better the service and stability for all customers.) If a double-MQM promo is announced for a particular month, those who fly more in that month than others will also benefit on a *relative* basis. However, if *all* MQMs are inflated through a means that doesn't provide a particular relative advantage, it is a wash. The bottom line is that, for self-interest concerns, a flier might prefer to see MQM opportunities that give them a *relative* advantage, but absolute MQM inflation is not itself a concern.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by PMMMDL

1) I think the 125K threshold for DM will eliminate 90% of the current PMs, even with roll over next year...

2) If it does not turn out this way, DL can always institute another higher level in 2011 to cover.
  1. I don't think that it will be as high as 90%. Many PMs fly about 100k/year and will yoyo between PM and DM. IMHO between 1/5 and 1/3 will go back and forth.
  2. I hope not, that would be a real mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.