Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First class award with coach segments, seat assignments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First class award with coach segments, seat assignments

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Thumbs down First class award with coach segments, seat assignments

I booked a first class award for my family to come out for thanksgiving. On the return, I booked using the "medium" mileage level for first (40k miles for that segment). This booked into RPASS/WP300. The first segment is on an A319 so they got put into first, the second segment is a SAAB, so they were booked into "L" class. There are only two seats together left - 1CD. Because this is an exit row, it's reserved for elite / full fare purchases. I called the elite line, and they refused to put them in 1CD, even though they were on a ticket booked as FSM/WP300 outbound RPASS/WP300 return.

It seems very strange that a first class fare (RPASS/WP300) would not qualify for premium seating in coach class. IMO this is a big thumbs down - if you have a first class fare, and you have to be in coach for one of the segments, it should book that segment into Y not L.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
NW used to book PerkPass (Rulebuster) into P/Y. I don't know how DL handles this but I would expect any first-class seat to be treated as "premium" if you're stuck in a coach cabin for some reason.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
As a DL PM I have often requested exit row seat assignments for myself on award, or family or friends even when I am not traveling with them and never had SMS refuse to give requested exit row.

Does NW hold these until T-24?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'd simply call again.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
I tried calling back twice. They wouldn't budge.

Finally, I booked a reservation for myself on the same flight, called again, said "I'm on the same flight and want to sit next to them," got their seats assigned, and then cancelled my ticket.

This is really stupid.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ifette

Finally, I booked a reservation for myself on the same flight, called again, said "I'm on the same flight and want to sit next to them," got their seats assigned, and then cancelled my ticket.

This is really stupid.
nice
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by ifette

This is really stupid.
Only one thing that might go wrong here...sometimes a real nice GA will move a non elite out of the exit row and give it to an elite especially if the non elite is the only on on the PNR. This has happen to me a few times. I'm assuming the person moved was a non elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.