FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   No Paper only Plastic Starting 12/1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1015382-no-paper-only-plastic-starting-12-1-a.html)

HWGeeks Nov 9, 2009 9:05 am

No Paper only Plastic Starting 12/1

http://blog.delta.com/2009/11/09/pur...lease/#respond

Thats crazy, you know how many times they have not had a working credit card processing machine onboard...plus I noticed people paying with cash hold up the fa less than when the FA has to process a credit card.

WBurcham Nov 9, 2009 9:07 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 12792695)
http://blog.delta.com/2009/11/09/pur...lease/#respond

Thats crazy, you know how many times they have not had a working credit card processing machine onboard...plus I noticed people paying with cash hold up the fa less than when the FA has to process a credit card.

Much easier revenue management. Darn and there goes me trading a drink coupon for a snack box (FA could take the $7 for someone in Y's drink and give me a snack box).

KLC Nov 9, 2009 9:07 am

UA already has this policy.

MarqFlyer Nov 9, 2009 9:13 am

Count me as one who likes the transition. I haven't yet been on a flight where the CC machine wasn't working, and I have actually seen far more delays when pax pay with cash...like when everybody wants to make a $5 expenditure with a $20 bill, and the FA quickly runs out of change. I also suspect it's an additional burden on the FAs, having to reconcile the products that were used up vs. the cash on hand.

Guess we'll see in a few weeks....

HWGeeks Nov 9, 2009 9:16 am

I don't carry cash I always pay with cards, but there have been 4 times where I was starving and didn't eat anything at the gate because I like the chicken sandwish on the EATS menu. When they come around the credit card machine didn't work. That happened twice the other two times my card wouldn't swipe for some reason and she did everything manually.

3 of the times I did get the sandwish free though.

zman Nov 9, 2009 9:19 am

Originally Posted by KLC (Post 12792709)
UA already has this policy.

Also AA

thepointsguy Nov 9, 2009 9:28 am

I wonder if this will be the same on DL connection partners. I've never seen a CC swiper on my Comair flights and they refuse to take the Canadian currency I always have left over from my trips :rolleyes:

RobOnLI Nov 9, 2009 10:41 am

Also AS.

It works very well on AS. Because you are dealing with such small amounts of $ the buyer is not required to sign a receipt. The FA simply swipes the card and gives it back to you.

-RM

zsmith2 Nov 9, 2009 10:46 am

Delta Connection flights will still accept cash only.

Air Brian Nov 9, 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 12793314)
Also AS.

It works very well on AS. Because you are dealing with such small amounts of $ the buyer is not required to sign a receipt. The FA simply swipes the card and gives it back to you.

-RM

Works well on Southwest. But, knowing Delta's storied tradition for poor technology implementation, I am sure it will be a complete disaster

hockeystl Nov 9, 2009 11:13 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 12792705)
Darn and there goes me trading a drink coupon for a snack box (FA could take the $7 for someone in Y's drink and give me a snack box).

Wow, great angle...thanks for the idea. I guess I have a few weeks to give it a shot for the (8) DL drink certs I have valid until 12/31.

Unless, of course, someone is wanting to work a trade for them (yes, I know this is the wrong forum. call me lazy). Hint hint.

mersk862 Nov 9, 2009 11:19 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 12793527)
Wow, great angle...thanks for the idea. I guess I have a few weeks to give it a shot for the (8) DL drink certs I have valid until 12/31.

Unless, of course, someone is wanting to work a trade for them (yes, I know this is the wrong forum. call me lazy). Hint hint.

We were thinking about giving it a try on our JFK-ATL flight yesterday...

WesNSpace Nov 9, 2009 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer (Post 12792748)
Count me as one who likes the transition. I haven't yet been on a flight where the CC machine wasn't working, and I have actually seen far more delays when pax pay with cash...like when everybody wants to make a $5 expenditure with a $20 bill, and the FA quickly runs out of change. I also suspect it's an additional burden on the FAs, having to reconcile the products that were used up vs. the cash on hand.

Policy should be if the machine doesn't work then you get it for free.

WBurcham Nov 9, 2009 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 12793565)
We were thinking about giving it a try on our JFK-ATL flight yesterday...

Then we got distracted. :D

Janus Nov 9, 2009 11:36 am

Personally, I usually don't carry much cash with me, let alone "exact change". So I am happy I will finally be able to pay with a CC on NW flights.

sbagdon Nov 9, 2009 11:48 am

C'mon, this is FT... if someone sitting next to you has cash-only, offer to pay with our CC, and take the cash. Miles are miles... :)

MikeMpls Nov 9, 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon (Post 12793744)
C'mon, this is FT... if someone sitting next to you has cash-only, offer to pay with our CC, and take the cash. Miles are miles... :)

+1

On board purchases often come with lots of bonus miles, too, e.g. 10 miles/$ when I bought my cognacs on a UA TATL a couple months ago.

amanuensis Nov 9, 2009 12:38 pm

I like this change. Handling cash just slows the FAs down. I have never seen the cc machine not work. When it does happen, I am sure they will have a back-up plan.

I always pay with a credit card, since that simplifies my expense reports.

RCarverJr Nov 9, 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by zman (Post 12792793)
Also AA

Works well on YX too. I never travel with cash, so this is a welcome transition. Have never been on a flight where the machine wasn't working either. Often find the cash transactions (FA - "Does anyone have change for a $20") take much longer than the cc transactions.

Robert Leach Nov 9, 2009 1:00 pm

What about the $2 headsets? Will those be credit card only as well?

MarqFlyer Nov 9, 2009 1:01 pm

Now that's the FT spirit! Take it a step further and loudly announce that you'll charge meals/drinks in exchange for cash for the entire plane. Kachingg!^

Davescj Nov 9, 2009 1:06 pm

+1 more

Yeah...I would.

I don't use cash much when I travel anyway. I prefer using plastic.

As to machines --

I bought stuff duty free on board (cause I had only 30 min in ATL to change planes), and had no prob.

What's the big deal? I am in favor of this. As pointed out above, to much hassel making change.

As to paper voucers for drinks (which I think any elite sans upgrade should get 2 per flight) the FA would just drop it in with the rest of the paper work.

Dave

skofarrell Nov 9, 2009 1:50 pm

Cashless is easier for everyone. Especially the poor flight attendant who was looking for change for a 20 on my LGA-IND flight yesterday who needed help from three people for change.

tjisnumbaone Nov 9, 2009 1:54 pm

I think that this really ridiculous. Why all CCs?

There are some people (like myself) that are under 18, and do not have a credit card.

Well I might be getting a debit card soon so it won't be bad.

CarolDisney1 Nov 9, 2009 1:58 pm

Well on one my recent flights I got a free drink because "we only have one machine working so it's slow" So IMHO Delta this could cost you!

BobH Nov 9, 2009 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 (Post 12794583)
Well on one my recent flights I got a free drink because "we only have one machine working so it's slow" So IMHO Delta this could cost you!

To say nothing of the miles we'll get for using "their" credit card -- but lets see, 25,000 / 7 === lots of on board purchases to get a free tickee !!!.

Bob H

Janus Nov 9, 2009 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by BobH (Post 12794881)
To say nothing of the miles we'll get for using "their" credit card -- but lets see, 25,000 / 7 === lots of on board purchases to get a free tickee !!!.

Bob H

But it is also quite possibly the most fun way to earn a free airline ticket (especially if the charges go to the corporate card) :D

xanthuos Nov 9, 2009 4:35 pm

Last time I was on jetBlue, I charged at least 3 drinks to my card while in air. I watched the gentleman swipe my card each time and it approve it. They never hit my account. :D

Cashless could be niiice...

skofarrell Nov 9, 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by tjisnumbaone (Post 12794557)
I think that this really ridiculous. Why all CCs?

There are some people (like myself) that are under 18, and do not have a credit card.

Well I might be getting a debit card soon so it won't be bad.

My 14 year old has a debit card.

macoz Nov 9, 2009 8:59 pm

I know of a person whose card the machine would not read on AS (they have a cashless policy).

That person got a free meal and drink...my guess is this is SOP. Nothing wrong with his card, works elsewhere, just a ghost in the machine.

The immoral lesson behind the story, randomize the magnetics on your stripe and drink free.

Dunno how to do that...microwave? bulk tape eraser? boil in water for 20 mins?

In practice, the view is not worth the climb, but perhaps it offers insight on how the process works (or is supposed to work).

AdamS Nov 9, 2009 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by xanthuos (Post 12795547)
Last time I was on jetBlue, I charged at least 3 drinks to my card while in air. I watched the gentleman swipe my card each time and it approve it. They never hit my account. :D

I have a food purchase from a July flight on DL that never hit my credit card.

Also, FL has been CC only for many years.

Discplayer Nov 9, 2009 10:09 pm

I will be very impressed if they transition all DL flights to this policy in time for the cut off. That being all of the DL connection and former NWA metal flights. Let's see what happens. Either way is good for me.

DeaconFlyer Nov 10, 2009 1:17 am

Anyone know if they process the transactions in real time? Or once they land?

macoz Nov 10, 2009 1:26 am

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer (Post 12797619)

My guess is upon landing. The fee/overhead for realtime handshakes would out pace the loss from cards that have valid number check sums/expiry dates yet have been cutoff in the system (severe over limits, closed accounts, stolen reports, etc).

They are selling $7 drinks that probably cost 3$, so their loss would be $20 per flight if you assume 5 or so folks in a flight suffering the above.

StayingHomeIsBetter Nov 10, 2009 4:10 am

Airlines moving to a only CC policy will facilitate charging for gate-checked luggage, when the airlines decide they can get away with this.:rolleyes:

RSSrsvp Nov 10, 2009 5:56 am

Originally Posted by zman (Post 12792793)
Also AA

I was on AA a week ago and the FA said that taking plastic only made their job easier. @:-) DL is simply joining the others with this policy.

SDF_Traveler Nov 10, 2009 6:25 am

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer (Post 12792748)

I was on a flight in Y when the CC machine stopped working and had ordered a sandwich. I handed my card to the FA, at which point the FA gave me the sandwich on the house and explained the "machines were acting up". I then pulled some $$ out of my wallet and offered it in lieu of the card, but FA wouldn't accept it.

I personally prefer to use plastic as it gets me an itemized receipt / proof of payment.

I'm quite happy with the EATS program when flying in Y (especially when compared to some other airline Buy on Board programs) --- I only wish they would update the menu more often or have a couple more selections ... when in the back of the bus, the menu tends to get old quick.

SDF_Traveler Nov 10, 2009 6:35 am

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer (Post 12797619)

It seems to be upon landing.

I believe the machine simply makes sure the card is valid (i.e. follows an algorithm) and stores the sale in a batch, which is then transmitted once on the ground. I would suspect the number of bad cards they get is minimal.

leromero Nov 10, 2009 6:37 am

Originally Posted by macoz (Post 12796769)
I know of a person whose card the machine would not read on AS (they have a cashless policy).

That person got a free meal and drink...my guess is this is SOP. Nothing wrong with his card, works elsewhere, just a ghost in the machine.

The immoral lesson behind the story, randomize the magnetics on your stripe and drink free.

Dunno how to do that...microwave? bulk tape eraser? boil in water for 20 mins?

In practice, the view is not worth the climb, but perhaps it offers insight on how the process works (or is supposed to work).

For some reason my Korean Air SKYPASS Visa regularly fails when using it on DL flights for purchases. I prefer to use my Chase Visa in any case since the online banking is better, but it's still weird that one type of card will work when another will not.

amanuensis Nov 10, 2009 7:36 am

Originally Posted by xanthuos (Post 12795547)

One of the meals I purchased onboard a Delta flight never showed up on the credit card. But it was the corporate credit card, so the oversight did not benefit me personally. In fact, it was a pain to keep track of the little receipt (which I would need for the expense report just in case it ever did hit). Eventually, the writing on the receipt becomes illegible, since they use the thermal paper in the cc machines.