FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   No Paper only Plastic Starting 12/1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1015382-no-paper-only-plastic-starting-12-1-a.html)

HWGeeks Nov 9, 2009 9:05 am

No Paper only Plastic Starting 12/1

http://blog.delta.com/2009/11/09/pur...lease/#respond

Thats crazy, you know how many times they have not had a working credit card processing machine onboard...plus I noticed people paying with cash hold up the fa less than when the FA has to process a credit card.

WBurcham Nov 9, 2009 9:07 am

Originally Posted by HWGeeks (Post 12792695)
http://blog.delta.com/2009/11/09/pur...lease/#respond

Thats crazy, you know how many times they have not had a working credit card processing machine onboard...plus I noticed people paying with cash hold up the fa less than when the FA has to process a credit card.

Much easier revenue management. Darn and there goes me trading a drink coupon for a snack box (FA could take the $7 for someone in Y's drink and give me a snack box).

KLC Nov 9, 2009 9:07 am

UA already has this policy.

MarqFlyer Nov 9, 2009 9:13 am

Count me as one who likes the transition. I haven't yet been on a flight where the CC machine wasn't working, and I have actually seen far more delays when pax pay with cash...like when everybody wants to make a $5 expenditure with a $20 bill, and the FA quickly runs out of change. I also suspect it's an additional burden on the FAs, having to reconcile the products that were used up vs. the cash on hand.

Guess we'll see in a few weeks....

HWGeeks Nov 9, 2009 9:16 am

I don't carry cash I always pay with cards, but there have been 4 times where I was starving and didn't eat anything at the gate because I like the chicken sandwish on the EATS menu. When they come around the credit card machine didn't work. That happened twice the other two times my card wouldn't swipe for some reason and she did everything manually.

3 of the times I did get the sandwish free though.

zman Nov 9, 2009 9:19 am

Originally Posted by KLC (Post 12792709)
UA already has this policy.

Also AA

thepointsguy Nov 9, 2009 9:28 am

I wonder if this will be the same on DL connection partners. I've never seen a CC swiper on my Comair flights and they refuse to take the Canadian currency I always have left over from my trips :rolleyes:

RobOnLI Nov 9, 2009 10:41 am

Also AS.

It works very well on AS. Because you are dealing with such small amounts of $ the buyer is not required to sign a receipt. The FA simply swipes the card and gives it back to you.

-RM

zsmith2 Nov 9, 2009 10:46 am

Delta Connection flights will still accept cash only.

Air Brian Nov 9, 2009 10:56 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 12793314)
Also AS.

It works very well on AS. Because you are dealing with such small amounts of $ the buyer is not required to sign a receipt. The FA simply swipes the card and gives it back to you.

-RM

Works well on Southwest. But, knowing Delta's storied tradition for poor technology implementation, I am sure it will be a complete disaster

hockeystl Nov 9, 2009 11:13 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 12792705)
Darn and there goes me trading a drink coupon for a snack box (FA could take the $7 for someone in Y's drink and give me a snack box).

Wow, great angle...thanks for the idea. I guess I have a few weeks to give it a shot for the (8) DL drink certs I have valid until 12/31.

Unless, of course, someone is wanting to work a trade for them (yes, I know this is the wrong forum. call me lazy). Hint hint.

mersk862 Nov 9, 2009 11:19 am

Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 12793527)
Wow, great angle...thanks for the idea. I guess I have a few weeks to give it a shot for the (8) DL drink certs I have valid until 12/31.

Unless, of course, someone is wanting to work a trade for them (yes, I know this is the wrong forum. call me lazy). Hint hint.

We were thinking about giving it a try on our JFK-ATL flight yesterday...

WesNSpace Nov 9, 2009 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer (Post 12792748)
Count me as one who likes the transition. I haven't yet been on a flight where the CC machine wasn't working, and I have actually seen far more delays when pax pay with cash...like when everybody wants to make a $5 expenditure with a $20 bill, and the FA quickly runs out of change. I also suspect it's an additional burden on the FAs, having to reconcile the products that were used up vs. the cash on hand.

Guess we'll see in a few weeks....

Policy should be if the machine doesn't work then you get it for free.

WBurcham Nov 9, 2009 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mersk862 (Post 12793565)
We were thinking about giving it a try on our JFK-ATL flight yesterday...

Then we got distracted. :D

Janus Nov 9, 2009 11:36 am

Personally, I usually don't carry much cash with me, let alone "exact change". So I am happy I will finally be able to pay with a CC on NW flights.