Wiki Posts
Search

Delta early baggage checkin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question Delta early baggage checkin

What is the earliest you can check a bag for a flight? 4 hours before, 6 hours before, etc?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by amartin1979
What is the earliest you can check a bag for a flight? 4 hours before, 6 hours before, etc?
Technically, the new rule as of this summer is that you can check in and get a boarding pass up to 24 hours in advance, and you are allowed to check a bag beginning at midnight day of departure. This contrasts to the existing policy, which only allowed this if there was an IROP indicator on the PNR.

Alas, most ticket counters aren't open 24 hours.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
In addition, it will very much depend on the location.

In Sydney for example, I doubt that the DL counter opens much more than 3 hours before the SYD-LAX flight, as there are no other DL flights. On the other hand, in ATL, I'm pretty sure that you will find a place to drop your bags from early (5 am or earlier) until close to the last flight of the day.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jun 23, 2011, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Bump, any recent experience?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Charter Member/1.8MM, IHG Spire Elite
As early as they will let you. For example I've been on AF flights from Africa that preferred checked bags be dropped off up to 24hrs in advance of departure. It wasn't a problem.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:55 pm

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
What about domestically, say at LGA? Can I check bags early and wander city for eight hours?
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
early baggage check in

I checked my bags 6 hours early once, when I got to my destination, I waited and waited for my luggage to come out on the luggage belt. Never came out. I went to the Delta baggage office there in baggae claim, and there I saw my luggage sitting there chained to a column. Evidently, they put my luggage on an earlier flight, so it did make it there, but would have been nice if they told me they sent it ahead so I did not stand there for 30 plus minutes waiting for it to come out when it was already there.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by craig44485
I checked my bags 6 hours early once, when I got to my destination, I waited and waited for my luggage to come out on the luggage belt. Never came out. I went to the Delta baggage office there in baggae claim, and there I saw my luggage sitting there chained to a column. Evidently, they put my luggage on an earlier flight, so it did make it there, but would have been nice if they told me they sent it ahead so I did not stand there for 30 plus minutes waiting for it to come out when it was already there.
With the new baggage kiosks that are popping up in Baggage claims (I saw them at MCO, DTW and I *think* LGA) you'll be able to scan your bag tag to see the status, preventing the 30 minute wait
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by cfwolfs
With the new baggage kiosks that are popping up in Baggage claims (I saw them at MCO, DTW and I *think* LGA) you'll be able to scan your bag tag to see the status, preventing the 30 minute wait
It would be nice if they put the kiosks in the SC's.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Just did it this morning. I dropped of a bag a little over 12 hours prior to departure! (I then went to work.)

Last edited by Wiirachay; Apr 12, 2012 at 8:23 am
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Overnight?

Any recent experience trying to check in bags the night before an early domestic flight out of ATL?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If we take the midnight day of departure rule literally, it could prevent any luggage check on certain redeyes while allowing evening before bag drop at stations that have post-midnight redeye departures.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by craig44485
Did you try the delta app? I thought you could use it to monitor the location of your luggage.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Skymiles, Miles&More, Executive Club
I guess that there is also difference between domestic and international departures
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by spamkiller
Did you try the delta app? I thought you could use it to monitor the location of your luggage.
When he wrote that post, on Aug 17, 11, 4:12 am, it wasn't available... 3 months later however, it launched in November 2011

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.