Wiki Posts
Search

Waiving Suntrust fees

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold; Hilton Silver; Priority Plat; Marriott Silver
Waiving Suntrust fees

how have some been able to get Suntrust to waive their $55 fee on the debit card?
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by marzomarz
how have some been able to get Suntrust to waive their $55 fee on the debit card?
The personal banker I met with a my local branch offered to waive the fee without me asking. I must say, the customer service at Sun Trust is amazing. I started banking with them due to the DL Card and and happy to have made the switch.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 9:19 pm

I'd have to think if you had a few thousand stashed in an existing SunTrust account, it would also help. Can you convert their regular debit card to a Delta one?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:54 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I'd have to think if you had a few thousand stashed in an existing SunTrust account, it would also help. Can you convert their regular debit card to a Delta one?
Local CSRs waived it for me, didn't take several trailing zeros in my account. I think they can convert a regular Suntrust debit card to a DL debit card but you won't get you fees waived - they are a Suntrust fee that applies to all debit cards but is waived for new accounts in the first year. Converting a card implies an existing account.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:11 am

Just opened a brand new account at Suntrust for this promotion. I politely asked if they wouldn't mind waiving the fee. I did mention that I would be moving upper X,000 over (which I subsequently did). Assistant manager did it without hesitation - although ONLY for the first year. Can downgrade to normal card before fee hits next year.

Must say I was extremely impressed with their cust serv. I got a follow up call from the branch manager the next day thanking me for my business AND a thank you call from 800# cust service.

I originally was planning to just use this account for the miles (and maybe some coin deposits), but I am actually considering switching my business over. BofA and Wachovia have screwed me over more times than I care to count.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:37 am

Marzomarz, I have opened several of these STB Skymiles accounts.

My wife and I opened several accounts at different branches. No one would waive the fees when asked, in fact they looked at me like I had a hole in my head.

I am no stranger to negotiation, I was in the car business for 20 years. I didnt simply ask for the waiver, get a no and let it go. We had the different managers make calls to their superiors to get this fee waived, NO DICE. It is my opinion that NONE of the three branch managers that opened our accounts ever waived a fee for THESE cards. When pushing for the waiver I asked, "surely there is SOME way to get the fees waived, say if I make an opening deposit of X amount of $." The answer, from the regional manager was, "$50,000 per account."

We visited the branches in Bel Air, MD. I find it hard to believe ALL these waivers happened. Fact is Suntrust HAS to pay DELTA for these bonus miles. The days of banks GIVING something for free has past long ago.

Good luck getting the fee waived. If you do, please post which branch gave you the waiver. ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE THAT GOT A WAIVER, please post the branch. We would all like to take advantage of this largess!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:53 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by LegalTender
No to the first, yes to the second.
Costs 55$ for 15k miles. comes to 0.36 c per mile
A high award ticket in the US for 60k = 220$
4 signers on my account - Used the same SM number for each card.
A J class on SQ to Asia (rare bird) = 440$ at this rate.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Does the $55 annual fee apply to each card, if it's for the same account?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
Did you get 15K miles per card?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:24 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by DeltaDiamond
Did you get 15K miles per card?
I will know in 20 days.
Just got the cards went out and pumped 3$ gas times 4.
Now to shred the cards as soon as they post.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
I will know in 20 days.
Just got the cards went out and pumped 3$ gas times 4.
Now to shred the cards as soon as they post.
Thanks... try and remember to let us know. I'm gonna try the same thing, except I may just give SunTrust a try based on some of these posts.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
Keep in mind everyone -- if you a new customer (w/any bank) they will ping your credit. An inquiry will lower your FICO by a minimum of 3 points and if you have applied for allot of credit in the past 12 mo, it could hurt as much as 15 points. You may want to consider if you plan to hit and run on this deal.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:46 pm

Is $55 charged for each extra card on the accoutn also? or are the extra cards free?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:20 am

Keep in mind everyone -- if you a new customer (w/any bank) they will ping your credit. An inquiry will lower your FICO by a minimum of 3 points and if you have applied for allot of credit in the past 12 mo, it could hurt as much as 15 points. You may want to consider if you plan to hit and run on this deal.
The bank is not making an inquiry to your credit since they are not extending any to you. They generally use a service called chexsystems. The 3 major credit agency's have similar services. They are looking for bad checks, bounced checks and overdrafts. Not credit score. They can not deny you a bank account based on credit score since, like I said, they are not extending you credit. There will be no ding on your credit. It is considered a non hitting inquiry.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:14 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by jordantii
The bank is not making an inquiry to your credit since they are not extending any to you. They generally use a service called chexsystems. The 3 major credit agency's have similar services. They are looking for bad checks, bounced checks and overdrafts. Not credit score. They can not deny you a bank account based on credit score since, like I said, they are not extending you credit. There will be no ding on your credit. It is considered a non hitting inquiry.
Exactly!

In addition, a single bureau inquiry does not necessarily equal a loss of 3 points to your score. It is no where near that simple. I don't know where people get this from. I worked in banking for several years and ibwas surprised how many people thought they would lose x amount of points for an inquiry. It's simply not true. Now several inquiries and yes, you may have a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.