Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

75E - seat 36A (as in awful, atrocious, abominable).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, BA Gold, Delta Platinum

I flew DL703 from JFK-LAX yesterday morning on a 75E (according to Seat Guru, an ex-TWA bird with a rare layout). I didn't get an upgrade, but still I felt pretty good as I had managed (as a Silver) to secure a window seat in the exit row; 36A.

The only thing this seat was missing was straps and an electrical cord.

The first of it's pleasures reveals itself before you even lay eyes on it. The overhead bin (that stretches for over two rows) is occupied by a raft. Fights for space were commonplace through the entire boarding process.

The seat itself has a mile of legroom though. For half the width of the seat. The half closest to the exit door is dominated by the slide raft which gives you about four inches of space (now might be a good time to mention that I am 6 ft 3). If you hate personal space then this is your seat because, in addition, bolted to the sidewall is the pouch for magazine, airsick bags, etc...for all three in the row! It's bulging content along with the raft pack makes for a fun game of twister! My left leg was numb twenty minutes into the flight. I'm not sure if it was do to the slide pack contortions or the minus 41 degree air leaking through the door itself.

Did I mention the flying time was 5 hrs 47 mins? The flight was full. And an equally tall gentleman was my seat mate?

It gets even better. The row is bulkhead, behind the lavs. So you are basically flying in a smelly, crowded waiting area.

Part of what added to the magazine pouch bulge was all the promotional material/instructions for wifi (which I planned to use). After trying to log on, I was casually informed that this aircraft doesn't have wifi. I decided to just turn to the IFE and wish my immediate future away. Seems that seat 36A has IFE without the benefit of volume.

Beware my friends, seat 36F is equally bad.

My question is this; How can Delta sell this as a seat? This is well below minimam standard. I'd have gladly swapped for a middle seat were the flight not sold out. I'd even have preferred to stand.

I know there are worse things in life. But trust me, you never want to give this a try.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
You may want to consult seatguru.com next time:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Del...-200_TWA_B.php

David
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, BA Gold, Delta Platinum
I did. Honestly, this seat needs to labeled RED. It isn't at the moment.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew in this seat when the aircraft flew with American. I didn't have a problem with it, I even managed to sleep a good portion of the flight. I found it quieter in the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.