Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling to Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Travelling to Cuba

Hi,

I know that the US government prohibits US citizens from traveling to Cuba. However, many do travel from the US (especially resident aliens). I also know that you can go via Canada or Mexico. What are some of the ways of traveling from the US to Havana?

Any info and experience is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by pred02
Hi,

I know that the US government prohibits US citizens from traveling to Cuba. However, many do travel from the US (especially resident aliens). I also know that you can go via Canada or Mexico. What are some of the ways of traveling from the US to Havana?

Any info and experience is appreciated.

Thanks!
Once again. It is not against the law for US citizens to travel to Cuba. The same citizens can be fined and imprisoned(that has not happened AFAIK) for trading with Cuba. US has an economic embargo in place against Cuba. Nothing else.

Any US citizen, permanent resident caught spending money in Cuba without the Dept of Treasury permission can be fined and/or imprisoned for trading with the enemy. Prison usually does not happen, but lately the Bush administration, pressured by the powerful Cuban lobbyist from Florida, turned on more pressure and some folks who were caught were actually ordered to pay heavy fines.

How did they get caught? Your guess is as good as mine but they did.

The legal way to get around it and actually fly a US based airline to Cuba from US is to get an exemption from the Dept of Treasury. btw, AA, CO and maybe one other airline have non-stop flights from US to Cuba. They are listed on departure boards in MIA and JFK, but they are treated as "charter flights".

To be able to reserve and board these flights you need an exemption. The people most likely to be granted that exemption are: Medical professionals, academics, actors, musicians, TV employees, athletes, charity organization employees, students, religious leaders, etc...and of course Cuban Americans with family in Cuba.

Then there is Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, etc... routes... Just be careful.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Nassau, Santo Domingo, and Jamaica - though not from personal experience.

http://www.cubana.cu/html/ingles/index.asp?language=GB

http://cubajet.com/
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
If you go, be sure to post the pics!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.