Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

holidays to Cuba

holidays to Cuba

Old Apr 13, 07, 3:30 am
Original Poster

holidays to Cuba

Hi guys,

I'm off to Cuba at the beginning of May, I'll be staying in Varadero and it would be nice to learn something about Cuban culture, Cuban people, their habits and customs etc...I'm going there with my husband and two daughters and what I'm really concerned about is Cuban cuisine. Is it eatable at all? Me and my husband will be fine but how about my daughters? If anyone has been to Cuba before - I'm waiting for your useful hints.

Thanks

sonrisa30
Old Apr 13, 07, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
never been to Cuba, but cuban food is incredible.
Have you ever been to Miami?
the make the best roasted pork, rice and black beans, plantains in a million forms, fried yucca, shreded meat (ropa vieja) and the best flan and coffee ever.
Old Apr 15, 07, 12:59 pm

Programs: FB GLD, AA GLD, HH Silver, UA GM
Hi there,

since you're heading to Varadero, I assume that you'll be going to hotel resort. There will be buffet style food and your kids should be more than ok.
I've been to Cuba a couple of years ago and we did some touring, although very interesting from a learning/cultural point of view, I would not advise anybody to do it with children as food may be an issue for them.

PM if you want more details

Cheers
Old Apr 20, 07, 8:23 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, British Airways Avios, Marriott Rewards
When I was in Varadero in 2001, we went into Varadero (the town) one day. The beach there is public, so you have a lot local cubans. We ate at a beach side restaurant which was a grilled chicken place. The chicken was fine - much as you would get a rotessiere chicken place in USA or Canada. The restaurant had a local three piece wandering around playing, mostly Cuban music, but when they got to our table, they played Hotel California (recognizing us as non-Cubans). They didn't know any English, but had phonetically memorized the words. Very funny some of the mistakes they made, but good enough to earn a nice tip.

We also went into Havana, which was amazing. If at all possible, I would suggest trying to spend a night in Havana so you get a couple days to tour the city.

Greg
Old Apr 21, 07, 9:59 pm

Just had 5 days in Havana. I was told the food was terrible but almost every meal was fantastic.
Old Apr 22, 07, 10:38 am

Re: Holidays to Cuba

Hey Sonrisa,

Cuban food is absolutely delicious. To be honest one of the best i have ever tried. Believe me. But if you are still worried about your kids why don't you go to one of the Cuban restaurants? Here you can see the list of some of the resturants in the UK that feature Cuban cuisine
http://www.captivatingcuba.com/taste_of_cuba.php
Go and check if you and your daughters like Cuban food. Hope you do.
Anyway, you made a really good choice for your holidays. Cuba is a wonderful place to relax and have fun.

fibi32

Search this Thread
Search Engine: