Wiki Posts
Search

Cuba for an American?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2001, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Cuba for an American?

When my wife and I go to Cancun I think I would like to catch a flight to Cuba for a day (spend one night).

My wife is a resident alien from Canada and my citizenship is US. Will the trip have any negative effects on my wives alien status?

I would like to hire a personal guide when I get there, I do speak very good Spanish no limitations there. Any suggestions where to find someone for this?

Also, since Cubans like and need things from the US any suggestions on highly prized items I should bring?

Any Cubans out there who have family still in Cuba? Or any Cubans online with an email address?

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by Dudemon (edited 04-17-2001).]
Old Apr 17, 2001, 11:47 pm

Without the proper OK from the US Government, a trip to Cuba could be illegal and might compormise your wife's status.

That aside, many US citizens do go to Cuba on holiday and as long as they do not talk about it to US customs on their return, have no problems.

You will need to make sure your passports are not stamped, and beaware that US credit cards and traveler checks (issued from a US bank) are not valid in Cuba.
Old Apr 18, 2001, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
My understanding of the rules is that Treasury Department regulations forbid spending U.S. money in Cuba (with a limited exception for Americans who are relatives of Cubans). If you can avoid doing that (by spending Canadian or Mexican money), you won't violate that law. But someone else may know about other rules. I do know that lots of Americans go to Cuba quietly.

Bruce
Old Apr 18, 2001, 10:41 am

The only way to get around the "spending US money" rule is if you have a source of income earned outside of the USA. A good example is if you had rental income from a house overseas. Changing US dollars into Canadian dollars would still violate the rules becuase the original US dollars were most likely earned in the US.
Old Apr 18, 2001, 12:24 pm
Suspended

I visited Cuba some years ago before I got my US citizenship (to inspect a ship load of steel, I am in the marine business) Before I went I spoke to both some US customs and immigration agents I was on very good talking terms with. They assured me that a visit to Cuba really would not affect my application for US citizenship but not being a citizen yet, there is nothing the authorities can do to prohibit such.
(Visting by US Citizens is not techinically prohited provided you spend less than $50.00)
but really the frown on all unless they have relatives, is a member of a sports team or say a jounalist doing research.

I went, spent 8 days had a really good time.
a) Cuban authorities being aware of the US govt policy will not stamp your passport.
b) I used cash, but I believe Mastercard was acceptable because they can run the charge through a European affillate so it does not run afoul of the US card rules.

Not much really to buy besides Habana club rum and the usual tourist items like ash trays etc which says Cuba on them and off course cigars.
There is great confusion as to whether you can buy Cuban cigars and bring them back.
I have confirmed this a number of times and even won a few bets regarding this.
IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO BUY CUBAN CIGARS AND BRING THEM BACK TO THE US IF YOU VISIT CUBA
(catch-22 you cant buy many cigars with your
$50.00)
It is illegal however to buy Cuban cigars in Nassau or Canada where they are readily available.
If I were you I would just say my wife bought them since she is a Canadian national and she can say that she was the one who visited Cuba.
If you do go some food items I really enjoyed, roasted lamb, Chicken Baracoa (tastes almost like smoked salmon) and a yogurt made from papaya.
Mike

[This message has been edited by MIKESILV (edited 04-18-2001).]
Old Apr 19, 2001, 4:00 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I plan to go this summer. No fear. Know of too many others who have taken numerous trips to Cuba. There is virtually NO crime against tourists as the laws are far more punishing if the crime is committed against a tourist.
Cuba has been described to me as being stuck in a time warp. It does not have the tacky build up of other resort destinations. Most hotels are going through major overhauls.

Just bring your US greenbacks. Fidel loves them, so does the country.

To get there just travel through an intermediary country like Mexico or cananda.

The US is the only country that has a problem w/Cuba.

Old Apr 19, 2001, 6:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally posted by MIKESILV:
It is illegal however to buy Cuban cigars in Nassau or Canada where they are readily available.
Let's be precise. It's not illegal to buy Habanas outside of the U.S. but it is illegal to bring them back.
Old Apr 19, 2001, 7:04 pm

One popular way to get to Cuba is boating from Key West (I know, I know, opposite the usual direction of travel there).

Supposedly there are several marinas in Cuba that will do all your paperwork for you, and give you (for about $50 US under the table) a scam "sponsorship," so that you are technically spending their money, not your US money. I'm not sure what the Feds would do to you if they found out you did this, but the guy I talked to about this (he's a boat captain in Key West who runs these tours) said in his years of running these trips, he's never heard of anyone getting in trouble.
Old Apr 19, 2001, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sweet Willie I would have to disagree with you. I have been to about 30% of the countries in the world and felt the least safe in Cuba.

I was mugged in Havana and spent 10 days in a Cuban hospital. Luckily they have socialized medicine since 80% of my cash was gone and US cc are not accepted.

I now have 6 scars from my ankle to above my knee that are about 5 inches in length. I had a severed tendon that needed operating. It was quite an experience.

Since it happened on my second day I was not able to see a lot of the country.

From what I did see it is the only Communist country I have been in where you know there is a major police presence. The police hassled the locals constantly and it bothered me when they would tell the locals to stop communicating with me. The best part of my travels is getting to know the locals.

By the way Americans have no problem going to Cuba and they automatically do not stamp your passport. I flew SFO-MIA then to the Bahamas. I then walked over to the Cubana airlines counter and caught the next flight to Havana. I did get the third degree on the return through the Bahamas but I did have a thigh high cast on my leg. She asked where I stayed and I said the big hotel on the beach.

Luckily the experience in Cuba did not jade me in future travels.
Old Apr 20, 2001, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Travel agents in both Merida and Cancun in the Yucatan sell cheap short stay packages to Havana with Hotels and transfers, very cheaply. About 90% of those taking them are Americans of course! Flying down from Canada has always been big, but most stay at the beach resort of Varadero, which is about as Cuban as San Diego is. Directs also from Kingston Jamaica last time I was there.

Not sure if they can accept US isused Mastercard as was posted above. I recall with a smile a gang of about 10 waiters scouring (slowly, as is everyting in Cuba) a long list of credit card prefixes in the Hemingway Bar (whatever its reall name is - Floridita perhaps?) in Havana. The first 4 number prefix tells them WHAT bank and country issued it. IF US, no deal.

My only sad memory of the cigar factory in the countryside was the realisation that they were not rolled on the inner thighs of young virgins as recounted by popular rumour. In fact most of those wrinkly old guys with zapata moustaches rolling them looked like extras from a Spaghetti Western.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Apr 20, 2001, 5:50 am

Yeah, going to Cuba is great if you like financing an oppresive Communist government that has been cited by the U.N. numerous times for violating human rights. But hey, the beaches are nice, so who gives a s**t about the people who live there.
Old Apr 20, 2001, 8:30 am

Many Americans go to Haiti to spend their holidays---at least the people in Cuba do not go hungry.
Old Apr 20, 2001, 9:11 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
<b>***************************************** ***

I would strongly caution you against basing a decision to travel to Cuba on anecdotal advice provided by users here. I'm not saying that friendly advice is not useful, only that you should make your decision based on full information gathered from further substantial research into the matter.

For example, you should take a look at the information at the Treasury Department Office for Foreign Assets Control at http://www.treas.gov/ofac/

These are the official statutes and regulations regarding such travel, and you should know that there can be serious consequences for you as a US citizen if you do travel and spend money there. The casual suggestions of other users on how to circumvent these regulations should be approached cautiously, and I think you need to make your own assessment of the risks and penalties involved.

With that said, I would be interested to know if you actually do decide to go (and whether travel to Cuba is easy to plan or not)!
Old Apr 20, 2001, 11:15 am

There has only been one documented case where the US Government has convicted a US citized for going to Cuba. It was someone in the SouthWest-Texas area and he talked about his trip in great detail to US Customs on his return.
Old Apr 20, 2001, 12:26 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
ChanelCinq, you are not disagreeing w/me, you are providing commentary which is different than information that has been provided to me by friends. My comments were not meant to state that Cuba is safe, It does not matter where you are you can get your A_ _ kicked anywhere and at anytime. Have come close a few times myself, but good fate was on my side.

As for supporting "oppressive" governments, while I believe that the US is the BEST place to live, make a living and raise a family, If you feel our government is not oppressive you do not have your eyes open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.