Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Cuba & travel tips

Cuba & travel tips

Old Dec 13, 19, 10:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Cuba & travel tips

I am going to make a trip to cuba with some friends and we R looking for some „funny activities“. And with „funny“ I don‘t mean this standard poop, I mean very stupid things like:
-trinking a bottle of Bacardi in front of the birthplace of bacardi
-playing assasins creed black flag in havana and explore the town in the game and in real life at the same time


do you have any other ideas?
FlorianNie is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 4:30 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 20,356
While the Cuban pplice seem to be pretty laid back and not oppressive like to the north, I wouldn't do anything too stupid.

Originally Posted by FlorianNie View Post
-trinking a bottle of Bacardi in front of the birthplace of bacardi
You'd have to go to Santiago de Cuba for that.
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 8:09 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by FlorianNie View Post
I am going to make a trip to cuba with some friends and we R looking for some „funny activities“. And with „funny“ I don‘t mean this standard poop, I mean very stupid things like:
-trinking a bottle of Bacardi in front of the birthplace of bacardi
-playing assasins creed black flag in havana and explore the town in the game and in real life at the same time


do you have any other ideas?
No Bacardi in Cuba.
And there are far better things to do in Cuba than to engage in "funny activities."
tmac100 likes this.
catcher1 is offline  
Old Dec 14, 19, 5:23 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 48,837
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
While the Cuban pplice seem to be pretty laid back and not oppressive like to the north, I wouldn't do anything too stupid.

You'd have to go to Santiago de Cuba for that.
Originally Posted by catcher1 View Post
No Bacardi in Cuba.
And there are far better things to do in Cuba than to engage in "funny activities."
I agree with both of the above, and I've done plenty of stupid but fun things in my life. FlorianNie, the Cubans you meet will hope that you have lots of fun there (and please spend lots of CUCs well!). But with anything you have in mind, be considerate of your hosts. Don't put Cuban cops in a position where they have to put a stop to whatever you're doing, and maybe arrest you. Wouldn't be fun for anyone involved.
tmac100 likes this.
dhuey is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 6:08 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by catcher1 View Post
No Bacardi in Cuba.
And there are far better things to do in Cuba than to engage in "funny activities."
like...
FlorianNie is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 6:16 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,594
You could rent a 'friend' for a week. That is apparently quite popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Cuba

Is that what you mean by 'funny'?
LondonElite is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 8:31 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by FlorianNie View Post
like...
Walk the streets of Habana Vieja.
Meet the people; talk with them.
Check out the art.
Listen to the music.
Stroll along the Malecon and gaze out at Havana bay.
Visit the Wall of fame at the Hotel Nacional, the presidential palace, capitolio, cementerio Colon, Fabrica de Arte.
Take a trip to the countryside, visit tobacco farms.
Enjoy the rum.
Feel the energy.

And that's just a start.
dhuey likes this.
catcher1 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 20, 8:01 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 7
With a limited amount of hotel choices which is where I wanted to go anyways I was wondering if anyone could tell me between MJDR and Grand Muthu which was has the nicest beach hopefully with a gradual entry into the ocean? Thank you!.
james.williams123098 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 12:33 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Posts: 13,626
Originally Posted by james.williams123098 View Post
With a limited amount of hotel choices which is where I wanted to go anyways I was wondering if anyone could tell me between MJDR and Grand Muthu which was has the nicest beach hopefully with a gradual entry into the ocean? Thank you!.
You are kidding right? You going to Cuba with COVID still alive and kicking?
djjaguar64 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 20, 3:04 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 20,356
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
You are kidding right? You going to Cuba with COVID still alive and kicking?
Supposedly it is well under control in Cuba with the high proportion of medical staffopulation and health workers apparently do a cursory check on the population every day. Though medical facilities and equipment may be lacking, Cuba's preventative action has reportedly curtailed the spread.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ours-struggle/

https://covid19.who.int/region/amro/country/cu/
YVR Cockroach is offline  
Old Jul 19, 20, 7:51 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Posts: 13,626
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach View Post
Supposedly it is well under control in Cuba with the high proportion of medical staffopulation and health workers apparently do a cursory check on the population every day. Though medical facilities and equipment may be lacking, Cuba's preventative action has reportedly curtailed the spread.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...ours-struggle/

https://covid19.who.int/region/amro/country/cu/

So you will believe the Cuban authorities just as you would believe the Chinese govt?
djjaguar64 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 20, 12:49 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 20,356
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
So you will believe the Cuban authorities just as you would believe the Chinese govt?
Yeah. Maybe naïve and over trusting but not more (or less) than other governments.


From today's The Guardian
Cuba has reported no new domestic cases of Covid-19 for the first time in 130 days, as most of the country moved into the final phase of resuming normal activities with masks and social distancing.

Francisco Duran, head of epidemiology at the Ministry of Public Health, and who has updated the country daily on the pandemic, took off his mask during Sunday’s national broadcast to deliver the good news.

Only a handful of Covid-19 cases were reported in Cuba over the last week, all in Havana. Most of the Caribbean island, home to 11.2 million inhabitants, has been free of the disease for more than a month.
Cuba has reported no new domestic cases of Covid-19 for the first time in 130 days, as most of the country moved into the final phase of resuming normal activities with masks and social distancing.

Francisco Duran, head of epidemiology at the Ministry of Public Health, and who has updated the country daily on the pandemic, took off his mask during Sunday’s national broadcast to deliver the good news.

Only a handful of Covid-19 cases were reported in Cuba over the last week, all in Havana. Most of the Caribbean island, home to 11.2 million inhabitants, has been free of the disease for more than a month.
YVR Cockroach is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: