Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to Cuba post Trump Announcement

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Southwest
Travel to Cuba post Trump Announcement

I was hoping to travel to Cuba in February. Now that Trump announced restrictions on travel and most-likely removal of the Educational - P2P visa category, I fear that won't happen. Is it still possible for me to book the round trip flight and buy the visa right now (P2P is still available)?

https://cubavisaservices.com/product/sw-visa-card/
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You are getting two distinct and separate issues confused.

The visa card is issued by the Cuban government, and it is only collected/processed when you enter and leave Cuba. Look at it as a combined entry/exit/visa fee + information card.

The other piece is declaring your purpose of travel to the US government. That's nothing to do with the Cuban visa card.

If you buy a ticket now, who knows if the airline will stop service by February due to a fall off in bookings. In such a case, you could flout the embargo by travelling via a third country.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

When and where does the US make you declare your reason?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look like you need to hand in a completed and signed form (affidavit) as you board.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Right now, your airline website requires you to state the purpose of your trip in the form of choosing one of the 12 approved categories of travel. For the educational category, it's mostly on the honors system.

If the new rules revert to the old system of applying for a license from the OFAC division of the Department of the Treasury, then that's what you'll have to do. That will be a much more involved process. The alternative is to go on a people-to-people group tour with an approved operator. The tour operator's license will cover you.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I was on Southwest and didn't see any where to choose a category for reason of travel. I am reaching out to them but if the rules have not changed yet, couldn't I still choose people to people as a reason for future travel?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This might be informative.

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...rlines-havana/

It looks like you declare at check in (at least at FLL earlier this year).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Americans are screwed by the Tramp!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:01 pm

Planning a trip with the fam for Christmas. All my family, including myself, have a European passport - all clear for us- but my husband is American. Wondering if he will have any trouble if we go the old route of US> Mexico > Havana and return the same way? Any experience, insights much appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bizgc
Planning a trip with the fam for Christmas. All my family, including myself, have a European passport - all clear for us- but my husband is American. Wondering if he will have any trouble if we go the old route of US> Mexico > Havana and return the same way? Any experience, insights much appreciated.
See you there I will be there Dec 23-Jan 1
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by bizgc
No one can yet say whether Cuba will go back to the "old" system of not stamping US passports on that route. (Aduana is currently stamping all passports, which they did not previous to the relaxing of the rules by Obama.) Of course, if your passport is stamped, it is obvious to CBP on return where you have been, regardless of the route. No one can say if that would put you at risk of an eventual audit.
I have read on other travel forums that the Mexican airlines are also requiring those with US passports to fill out an affidavit, just as if they traveled direct from a US airport.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can request your pp not to be stamped its simple.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
You can request your pp not to be stamped its simple.
Not any more. Aduana is stamping all passports. And checking the entry stamp on exit.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Agreed that Cuban Migracion stamps all passports. The days of winking and waving U.S. citizens on through are no more.

Two years ago, on my first trip, I flew SJO-PTY-HAV-PTY-SJO on Copa. On the way to Cuba during my connection at PTY, the airline had a form for me to fill out stating my purpose for travel as a U.S. citizen. I went as a journalist.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Agreed that Cuban Migracion stamps all passports. The days of winking and waving U.S. citizens on through are no more.

Two years ago, on my first trip, I flew SJO-PTY-HAV-PTY-SJO on Copa. On the way to Cuba during my connection at PTY, the airline had a form for me to fill out stating my purpose for travel as a U.S. citizen. I went as a journalist.
Yeah, and now everybody that blogs thinks they can use that category.
It actually may open you up to having to apply to the Cuban government for a visa as a journalist, (rather than a simple tourist card for ....tourists) which brings additional scrutiny during the visa process and also when in Cuba.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.