Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Diffiiculty with Multi trip on one ticket that includes Cuba

Diffiiculty with Multi trip on one ticket that includes Cuba

Old Apr 30, 17, 12:02 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Diffiiculty with Multi trip on one ticket that includes Cuba

Hi all


I would like to fly from LGW to Cuba and then onto phoenix and San Fransico then returning back to LHR.

I found out through Virgin Atlantic that they are unable to do the multi trip from Cuba, that I would need to do it through Virgin Holidays, which I do not want to.
However I was thinking if I was to book with Virgin Atlantic Outbound LGW to Havana and inbound from SFO LHR, I was thinking to purchase a ticket online with Delta ( Hav- Phx- Sfo ) would i have any issues when leaving Cuba for my onward travels. Any suggestions would be of great help.
I am aware of the green tourist card.

Thanks
biscuit22 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 17, 2:11 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,654
If you have a method of legal entry to the US (you did not mention what passport you hold), there should be no problem to enter on a flight from Cuba.
The US airline may ask you to sign a declaration (one of OFAC's 12 reasons for travel, since you are going to be subject to US law while there), so best to understand your choices for that. However, there is unlikely to be any follow-up whatsoever.

The tourist card, green or pink, is a Cuban government requirement, not US. You would give the second half to Aduana/immigration as you left Cuba.
VidaNaPraia is offline  
Old Apr 30, 17, 4:10 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Posts: 13,340
You will need separate tickets
djjaguar64 is offline  
Old May 4, 17, 3:15 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks for the replies .

I do hold a British passport and planning to get a Tourist visa my end (United Kingdom and I just think I will purchase separate tickets for my onward travel to the US
biscuit22 is offline  
Old May 4, 17, 7:11 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: YYZ
Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Posts: 13,340
Think about Air Canada from the UK to Cuba and then a separate ticket to the US. Keep in mind that with Air Canada you get the tourist card as part of your ticket purchase.
djjaguar64 is offline  
Old May 19, 17, 6:29 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Posts: 3,780
I have a similar case and have been wondering about entry into the US, too.

I am a Finnish (EU) citizen. I have an open jaw ticket for HEL-HAV and MIA-HEL. I will buy a separate ticket for HAV-MIA.

Since I won't leave the US for Cuba, I will not sign the paperwork in the US stating one of the 12 reasons. But does this mean that it is a problem for me to enter the US (flying from Cuba)? Will the airline have me sign the paperwork at HAV before boarding? Will US immigration give me a hard time?

Also, I understand that the 1of12 is a mere formality. How likely is it that they will check whether my reason is a valid one?
ffay005 is offline  
Old May 20, 17, 8:01 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,654
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
I am a Finnish (EU) citizen. I have an open jaw ticket for HEL-HAV and MIA-HEL. I will buy a separate ticket for HAV-MIA.

Since I won't leave the US for Cuba, I will not sign the paperwork in the US stating one of the 12 reasons. But does this mean that it is a problem for me to enter the US (flying from Cuba)? Will the airline have me sign the paperwork at HAV before boarding? Will US immigration give me a hard time?

Also, I understand that the 1of12 is a mere formality. How likely is it that they will check whether my reason is a valid one?
The airline most likely will ask you to declare your reason for having traveled to Cuba.

"How likely is it that "they" will check....
They who?
OFAC has not checked in decades (if there even was a way to check), and CBP may ask on entry where you were and why, but it's not their job/right to do any more.
VidaNaPraia is offline  
Old May 20, 17, 5:56 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: HEL
Programs: AY Platinum, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT + hotels
Posts: 3,780
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
The airline most likely will ask you to declare your reason for having traveled to Cuba.
Meaning that the 1of12 paper can/will be filled out at HAV?

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
"How likely is it that "they" will check....
They who?
Either the airline (AA in this case) or the authorities in the US. I'm thinking of the immigration officers here.

So basically I would have to lie to US officers if I were on a tourist trip in Cuba. And they would know or guess that I lie and do nothing about it. And nobody would bother to find out whether I'm telling the truth. Is that it?

I'm not worried about the Cuban authorities here. Surely they have nothing against the euros I will bring with me.
ffay005 is offline  
Old May 21, 17, 8:44 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,654
Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Meaning that the 1of12 paper can/will be filled out at HAV?
The airline may just put the info directly into their computer. They do this at departure from US for a RT flight.
(The checkbox form is usually on the same piece of paper as the tourist card application the airlines use by mail. Since you don't need the tourist card just to go one way to the US, you likely won't see "the paper".)


Originally Posted by ffay005 View Post
Either the airline (AA in this case) or the authorities in the US. I'm thinking of the immigration officers here.

So basically I would have to lie to US officers if I were on a tourist trip in Cuba. And they would know or guess that I lie and do nothing about it. And nobody would bother to find out whether I'm telling the truth. Is that it?

I'm not worried about the Cuban authorities here. Surely they have nothing against the euros I will bring with me.
You would have to lie (or be clueless enough to believe you were fulfilling the criteria), just like most other US citizens, permanent residents and visitors departing from and/or returning to a US airport/port. And "they" would know, and have not done anything about it for years (OFAC) and have no resources to do so anyway (how could they "check" the movements of every tourist to/in a sovereign country?) , and/or it is not in their job description (CBP).
The airline wants your money, period, and do only what they must. Detective work is not included, just basic record keeping.

And I'd bet that most tourists couldn't accurately describe activities that fulfill the people to people category that most choose.
Define what OFAC means by "support for the Cuban people" , the other, more vague category commonly used.

Do some more research on the busy Cuba threads of the Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet travel forums. You are not the first to have asked this question since the direct flights started last September.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; May 21, 17 at 8:57 am
VidaNaPraia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread