Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Cuba
Reload this Page >

Internet access to be easier, cheaper....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

It appears that the Cuban government will make access through wifi available at ETECSA locations next month (so you can bring your own device) and also reduce cost of access by more than half (down from CUC 4.5/hr to CUC 2/hr).

From what I saw at my single visit to an Etecsa location in Holguin, there'll even be more Cubans using facebook......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10329973.html
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
That is good news
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: lh sen
In the building of the US Interest Section (former US embassy) you will find an internet cafe with plenty of workstations for free and high speed internet access. It is called IRC (Information Resource Center).

Embassies of other countries (Spain, France, Germany) provide a similar service.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ill be back there in December and will report.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Sky Miles - Gold, IHG - Platinum, SPG - Gold, HHonors - Gold, AAdvantage - Gold
Having just returned from Cuba, I can stay that internet access is far more available and its like overnight, locals are crowded around all the hotspots... Access is still a bit of a chore as you have to purchase the cards - and they are not cheap - also make sure you are only buying from an official place as there are a lot of bogus ones out there.... Service is still slow and it was so painful i only got online twice to make sure my restaurant reservations were set....
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Just returned from a stay at the hotel SARATOGA in Havana and was quite pleased. Only hotel so it is said in Havana with free Wi-Fi in all rooms as well as the public areas and the business center.

Did not have to play games with buying cards as well as "hanging out in certain spots."

Worldspan
Naples, Florida
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed across from the Habana Libre in a casa. The WIFI zone was right in front of my casas. 1 hour 3 pesos for the card. Some of the people I know in Havana were selling these cards, of course for me the card was free. They buy in bulk at about a 1.40 and sell at the regulated price of 3 pesos when buying 1 or 2.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Generally the whole process is easier outside Havana.
Even purchasing a scratch card at its face value it's doable (say Trinidad, Cienfuegos etc.- 2CUC x hour) with no lines and without surcharges like in the capital.
Navigation IME was decent too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.