FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cuba (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba-476/)
-   -   Americans and Cuba Travel - the Facts, Resources, Related Experiences [only] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cuba/1512229-americans-cuba-travel-facts-resources-related-experiences-only.html)

FPmiles Jun 23, 2016 1:45 pm

Sure I will not declare as Tourism. I will declare as "Journalism" to document my trip as I leisurely explore Cuba.

I think I have a better understanding.

SJOGuy Jun 23, 2016 2:38 pm

Don't declare "journalism" to the Cuban authorities. They will want to see your press visa. That is not easy to get. Without it, that will cause you all kinds of problems.

carpetbagger Jun 23, 2016 11:08 pm

According to cubans living in Europe who have as well a passport of the EU it is easily to travel from HAV to MIA or any other US airport with AA and other US airlines. It seems to be a loophole for cubans with an EU passport to enter the US and ask for the benefits. Maybe interesting for some ex-cubans who have family in Cuba.

VidaNaPraia Jun 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26765275)
AA and other U.S. airlines begin commercial service to Cuba in September, U.S. airlines' flights to CFG, CMW, HOG, SNU and VRA / Varadero have been announced and tickets.....

....are/were on offer at bargain prices this week.

AA will allow you to book online and take your money. However, AA is NOT currently prepared to give buyers any information about the required tourist card (other than to direct callers inquiries to the new Cuban embassy in D.C. which only serves walk-ins) or Cuban required insurance, both of which the charter airlines have usually bundled in the fare or offered to their passengers at check-in. AA phone reps and supervisors have been given NO info that these issues even exist.

YVR Cockroach Jun 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Are the flights even loaded on AA.com? I can't find any over a range of dates into late December.

FWIW, the fare code for the Cuban Tourist Card is YR (bundled in on flights from Canada). A very-reasonable CAD 16 is charged.

VidaNaPraia Jun 30, 2016 7:56 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 26849215)
Are the flights even loaded on AA.com? I can't find any over a range of dates into late December.

How do you think I managed to purchase?
Right now AA is selling seats "on speculation" really though. They have permission for the routes, but no flights until September.

YVR Cockroach Jun 30, 2016 10:30 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 26851998)
How do you think I managed to purchase?
Right now AA is selling seats "on speculation" really though. They have permission for the routes, but no flights until September.

Pulled the flights since? Tried from end of Sept onward to December, random dates to HOG and VRA from MIA. Nothing offered.

VidaNaPraia Jun 30, 2016 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach (Post 26852767)
Pulled the flights since? Tried from end of Sept onward to December, random dates to HOG and VRA from MIA. Nothing offered.

Just went to the site now and...
.....all OK for flights from, for my example, Boston to Varadero for end of Sept.

YVR Cockroach Jun 30, 2016 3:33 pm

Looks like the problem is AA.com is not letting you buy OW tickets. Only RT permitted.

From taxes and fees breakdown, I'd surmise only Cuba departure tax is permitted. Good question where you buy the tourist card!

US APHIS USER FEE (UNITED STATES) $3.96 USD
TRANSPORTATION TAX (UNITED STATES) $35.60 USD
PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE (UNITED STATES) $13.50 USD
US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE (UNITED STATES) $7.00 USD
US SECURITY FEE (UNITED STATES) $11.20 USD
US CUSTOMS USER FEE (UNITED STATES) $5.50 USD
OTHER TAXES $25.00 USD

diver858 Jul 7, 2016 10:14 am

US DOT Havana fact sheet for new service

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...se_Order_0.pdf

VidaNaPraia Jul 7, 2016 11:21 am

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 26883075)

However, most of the AA flights are not addressed. They are TO airports other than Havana, and originating FROM other US cities but going through Miami).

diver858 Jul 7, 2016 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia (Post 26883442)

However, most of the AA flights are not addressed. They are TO airports other than Havana, and originating FROM other US cities but going through Miami).

Did you bother to read the document? It specifically addresses 15 different Havana routes, on 8 different carriers, various US gateways:

AA: 4x daily MIA-HAV, 1x daily CLT-HAV

Antonio8069 Sep 26, 2016 5:02 am

cycling question - any answers, suggestions

Lots of good queries in this thread about cycling in Cuba? Alas, no answers!

I (& others) are looking for local cycling resources? One day tours, SAG wagon supported, etc.

Most of the on-line services are foreign-based and fixed multi-day itineraries.

Also, the rule for this thread is those with actual experiences traveling to Cuba? Opinions can be found anywhere, whereas experiences welcome?

VidaNaPraia Oct 6, 2016 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 27264208)
Lots of good queries in this thread about cycling in Cuba? Alas, no answers!

I (& others) are looking for local cycling resources? One day tours, SAG wagon supported, etc.

Most of the on-line services are foreign-based and fixed multi-day itineraries.

Also, the rule for this thread is those with actual experiences traveling to Cuba? Opinions can be found anywhere, whereas experiences welcome?

This has gotten to be a OLD thread, especially with info and conditions changing so rapidly.

miamiflyer8 Jan 9, 2017 1:36 am

Can I obtain a tourist card from the Stockholm embassy and use it on a B6 flight departing MCO?