Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cuba Travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Cuba Travel

I know it's "illegal" for a US Resident without a license or family in Cuba to travel but I know many Americans travel to Havana every year through Mexico and Canada. Is there a good travel agency that someone recommends that can help ?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, justj0shnya. FT has a Forum which is dedicated to Cuba. Thus, I am moving your thread to the Cuba Forum.
Please follow there...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:16 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I don't believe it is illegal to travel to Cuba. Technically, it is only illegal to spend money there.

I think you need to go through some place in Mexico, Canada or another country.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by fti
I don't believe it is illegal to travel to Cuba. Technically, it is only illegal to spend money there.
This has been covered in many threads many times. Because the very act of travelling to Cuba causes you to spend money there (a portion of your ticket pays the landing fees so you've in effect spent money) it's illegal for US Citizens to travel there.

Of course many do - On my last holiday in Cuba the guy in front of me in the customs line was from Seattle, and the guy behind me was from San Francisco - Both had travelled on our non-stop from YVR.

Both of them entered with no problems whatsoever.

Last edited by gglave; Nov 30, 2009 at 9:20 am
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:24 pm

Try Solways Travel in Toronto.

By the way, has anyone experienced issues upon return to the U.S. from Cuba via Mexico with a Mexican re-entry stamp on their passport?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: lh sen
I always open my passport with the pages of the cuban immigration stamps (I ask always to stamp my passport and not the paper they put in) while entering the US and show it to the US-Immigration officer.

Most of them, especially when they are latinos, appreciate it.

But I am a holder of a german passport.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 2:01 am

Programs: lh sen
For a local tour guide and/or accomodation in HAV I recommend this guesthouse (licensed):

http://www.cubaguesthouse.com/index.htm

They speak english, spanish, german and swiss-german!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 10:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carpetbagger
I always open my passport with the pages of the cuban immigration stamps (I ask always to stamp my passport and not the paper they put in) while entering the US and show it to the US-Immigration officer.

Most of them, especially when they are latinos, appreciate it.

But I am a holder of a german passport.
My only regret during a trip to Cuba a few years ago was I didn't get my (UK) passport stamped. Other members of the group I was travelling with were apparently asked if they wanted their passport stamped on leaving Cuba. I was never asked possibly because of the number of US immigration stamps I had in my passport.

I lost the opportunity to add a Cuban immigration stamp to my collection of visas from "dodgy" countries including Yemen, Iran, Libya, Syria, Lebanon, Ethiopia... My passport ran out of blank pages soon after my visit to Cuba and my current passport is a lot more boring.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA, WN, DL, AA, KE, OZ
Originally Posted by justj0shnya
I know it's "illegal" for a US Resident without a license or family in Cuba to travel but I know many Americans travel to Havana every year through Mexico and Canada. Is there a good travel agency that someone recommends that can help ?
Hopefully, you speak some Spanish. As a rule, most Cubans do not speak English well. The only English speakers will be those in the travel industry, such as tour guides, hotel front desk workers, etc. Below is the link to a Mexican/Cuban travel agent.

http://www.tainotours.com.mx/taino.php

Prices are in Mexican pesos. Again, I do not recommend unless you speak Spanish to some extent.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by SBayGirl
Hopefully, you speak some Spanish. As a rule, most Cubans do not speak English well. The only English speakers will be those in the travel industry, such as tour guides, hotel front desk workers, etc. Below is the link to a Mexican/Cuban travel agent.

http://www.tainotours.com.mx/taino.php

Prices are in Mexican pesos. Again, I do not recommend unless you speak Spanish to some extent.
Flight centre in Canada offer all inclusive to many resort on various part of the island.. Airfare, transfer resort with all meals and some activities. Local tour are optional. All tour guide, drivers, resort staff that needs to interact with tourist all speak English.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I lost the opportunity to add a Cuban immigration stamp to my collection of visas from "dodgy" countries
I do hope you're kidding and that's why you used the quotation marks as I happen to have a very large soft spot for Cuba.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.