Miles to Cuba

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles to Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Miles to Cuba

Can an American earn UA miles on Air Canada from YYZ (Toronto) to Havana? I have done this route before and was too worried to give them my FF#.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by x1achilles
Can an American earn UA miles on Air Canada from YYZ (Toronto) to Havana? I have done this route before and was too worried to give them my FF#.
Uh, I wouldn't if I were you. Your government is nuts about Cuba for some reason (for now). Not worth the risk.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Why leave a paper trail for traveling illegally? Whether you agree with the policy or not, going there is not allowed by the US government unless you meet special circumstances. If you have family there or for business, educational, or government needs you can be allowed but otherwise you not allowed.

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS /TRAVEL TRANSACTION LIMITATIONS: The Cuban Assets Control Regulations are enforced by the U.S. Department of the Treasury and affect all U.S. citizens and permanent residents wherever they are located, all people and organizations physically located in the United States, and all branches and subsidiaries of U.S. organizations throughout the world. The regulations require that persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction be licensed in order to engage in any travel-related transactions pursuant to travel to, from, and within Cuba. Transactions related to tourist travel are not licensable. This restriction includes tourist travel to Cuba from or through a third country such as Mexico or Canada. U.S. law enforcement authorities enforce these regulations at U.S. airports and pre-clearance facilities in third countries. Travelers who fail to comply with Department of the Treasury regulations could face civil penalties and criminal prosecution upon return to the United States.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by x1achilles
x1achilles, I thought that because you are transiting US airspace with this route, you are still reported to Big Brother.

*I am not certain and stand ready to learn more
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
The question is also valid for us furriners who are not Merkins. Could there be any hassle with US visas or visa waivers?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by alief
x1achilles, I thought that because you are transiting US airspace with this route, you are still reported to Big Brother.

*I am not certain and stand ready to learn more
My understanding is that the passenger manifests for this route are handed over to the US government. I'm not sure what branch would use the information.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Merkins?

If there is a papertrail that somehow links to anything American, then at some point a US government agency will be involved. Giving a FF# provides confirmation that you were a flight going to and/or leaving Cuba. The Feds take this very seriously. Even though actual prosecution is rare they can make you sweat while you're in custody and make your future international travel a nightmare.

Its not worth the 5,000 miles.

Off topic, but the same goes for using credit cards or making phone calls while you are in Cuba. Anything that leaves a papertrail with an American company is a potential problem if the wrong person decides to snoop.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:43 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

This thread isn't very pertinent to mileage running, so I'll go ahead and move it to the Cuba Forum.

--jpdx, MR Moderator
Old Nov 4, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by Roger
The question is also valid for us furriners who are not Merkins. Could there be any hassle with US visas or visa waivers?
Probably not, unless you do business there. If you do business there and they (choose your US government agency) find out about it, you'll be banned from entering the United States until they get rid of that stupid rule.

Happens periodically to Canadians. All very funny to me (not in the ha ha way).
Old Nov 6, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Can an American earn UA miles on Air Canada from YYZ (Toronto) to Havana?

I rather doubt it and don't think it would be worth trying either. DL specifically excludes earning SkyMiles on any partner flight to/from HAV. I didn't see any wording to that effect in UA's rules, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's in there somewhere.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:23 am

I agree that I would not enter my UA number if I was american. Being european based I have travelled on award ticket three times now Europe-EWR-YYZ-HAV and back and it is a big problem at EWR everytime. This has been on SK document and one single PNR. I have gotten the SSSS every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.