Get airline miles for booking a cruise?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond

Anyone heard of any lucrative bonus airline miles offers for booking a cruise? It seems like a few of the majors offer a 1.5K to 10K bonus for booking through their preferred channels, depending on length of cruise.

Yeah, I did a search, but did not see much info on this topic.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:15 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
You will usually being paying more for the cruise and thus "purchasing" your miles. You can get much better prices elsewhere.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:25 am

Marysunshine is correct.

AA vacations sells cruises. They have not come anyplace close in price to other outlets (especially Vacations to Go). I can easily forget the miles when saving a LOT of money. Difference in price between AA vacations and Vacations to Go for a 14 day Celebrity cruise I took in November, 2006 was slightly over $1000.00pp.

Thank you, I will keep the cash!!!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 12:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
United droped their program in December, not sure anybody else even has one any more.

Prices were way higher than you could get doing it on your own, so high in fact that you could often upgrade your airfare to business and get double air miles and get more that way.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:52 pm

I think US Air is doing it now.

Don't be so sure that it can't be worth it. I did one of these with Delta a few months ago and got 10K for it, and while I might have been able to pay a few $ less somewhere else (mainly because all of the airline cruise sites seem to add on a processing charge), it wouldn't have been much less ($30?). Delta advertised "guaranteed lowest price" and while their advertised price was maybe twice the rate that I saw elsewhere, the agent came up with the better price pretty quickly when she called the cruise line. We actually received the tickets about a week after booking, and the miles posted within a few weeks of the end of the cruise, so I don't have anything to complain about.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:52 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mung
I think US Air is doing it now.

Don't be so sure that it can't be worth it. I did one of these with Delta a few months ago and got 10K for it, and while I might have been able to pay a few $ less somewhere else (mainly because all of the airline cruise sites seem to add on a processing charge), it wouldn't have been much less ($30?). Delta advertised "guaranteed lowest price" and while their advertised price was maybe twice the rate that I saw elsewhere, the agent came up with the better price pretty quickly when she called the cruise line. We actually received the tickets about a week after booking, and the miles posted within a few weeks of the end of the cruise, so I don't have anything to complain about.
But, were they able to match any price reductions you found after booking? All of the cruise lines will reduce your cruise fare if you inform them of a reduction you found - they, of course, will not contact you to inform of a reduction. And, some of the lines (Celebrity, RCCL, maybe others) will even reduce the price after final payment, if you discover that there has been a general (not happy-hour) price reduction.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Continental.com sells cruises and they earn onepass miles depending on the length of the cruise.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL, UA, US, HHonors, PriorityClub, etc.
I've booked a Hawaii cruise thru Delta Skymiles Cruises for January 2008. I paid $300 less than any other price I could find online. I will receive 5000 skymiles for purchasing an outside cabin on a 10 day cruise (in addtion to the skymiles I'll receive for the CC purchase itself). My total cost is < $2300 for 2 people. Bargains and bonus miles can be found.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Free companion air on cruise411.com

Thanks for the feedback.

cruise411.com has a free companion airfare deal if you book a 7 night or longer cruise on an oceanview or higher category. I am thinking about going that route as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.