Reload this Page >

"Seat Guru" for Cruises - Cabin rankings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Seat Guru" for Cruises - Cabin rankings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I agree with your facts but disagree with your conclusion. Yes, there are more cabin categories and quirks having to do with individual cabins, but that doesn't mean that a body of knowledge couldn't be collected from the stays of dozens, hundreds, or thousand of cruisers. I could easily see ship maps for each ship in each fleet with red/yellow/green rankings just like on SeatGuru!
Yes, but could one make money with such a site? Should there be charge like Expert Flyer or have ads like SeatGuru?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
A pay-for-service site probably wouldn't attract critical mass, so ads would be the way to go. Of course you could also offer cruise booking directly through the site and make some nice commissions that way.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mgt2007
Oceania has a great website with the layout of the ship but the info I am looking for would be more from customer experiences like noise, ship movement, access, specific room configuration issues, rooms in the same category but might be more desirable etc.
the one thing I've heard about movement of the ship is that the midship (from bow to stern) and lower decks have less movement, the less sway you will feel.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 8:27 pm

cruisestateroom.com

Staterooms for any cruise are important-this site is well done and worth the small fee to gain access
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:34 pm

Such a site does now exist.

Photos and Reviews for Cruise Cabins

http://www.cruizr.com
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Ah, technology; the response to a cabin I picked on HAL Eurodam in January:

Looks like we have sprung a leak.

No Matching Cabin information found.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:24 am

Have found cruisedeckplans to be more accurate (especially in size info) than the cruise line's info.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Linda VH
Have found cruisedeckplans to be more accurate (especially in size info) than the cruise line's info.
A quick look seems like the info on that site comes directly from the cruise lines themselves so how would it differ or be more accurate?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:11 pm

The cruise lines only post generic information about cabin classes. They do not disclose information about specific cabins. Some cabins or balconies are larger even though the cruise lines do not mention it.

Celebrity lists Solstice cabins 8343 and 8199 as being the same at 194 sqf for the cabin and 54 sqf for the balcony.

Looking at the deck plan and reviews, it is evident that 8343 has a much larger deck than the 54 sqf listed.

http://www.cruizr.com/Cruise-Info/cabin/Solstice/8343

http://www.cruizr.com/Cruise-Info/cabin/Solstice/8199

Since the cruise lines do not post the information, sites like these depend on travelers to post this information just like seatguru does for airline seats. So unless someone specifically says it is larger, all they can go in is the information provided by the cruise line.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:22 pm

The big if however is this information is helpful as long as someone has posted something about your cabin which nobody had in the case of my HAL Eurodam cabin. However I can see the benefit now you've pointed out the differnces and shared one example.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:38 pm

As posted there already are sites. One of my agents sends me quotes that shows a picture of the ship with an arrow pointing to the specific deck and room. He then has a floor plan below. Also since he is making 17%+++ he tells me little things any agent should know...Noise issues from what is above, beside and below you, etc.

This is one area of travel that you still can deal with an agent and they should be really working hard for your business as it seems it is the last place a travel agent can make big money. All of it should be spoon fed to you.

And at the very least do not think you are special with the bogus ship board credit, free excursion, bottle of xyz sent to your room, etc. Oh yeah Airfare, upgrades, etc. You are making them $$ in one of the very last profit areas of travel agencies
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:28 am

Meh. How much of what, though? Cruise line have been tacking on NCF's (Non-commissionable fares) on top of port taxes for years so not all of the base is actually commissionable. This NCF amount is almost a quarter of the base fare cost on my HAL cruise. BTW most cruise lines actually break out this amount on passenger copies as I'm constantly explianing what that amount means.

Also not every line pays every agent or agency as much commision as was quoted.

Should TA's work for their money? Absolutely and giving this kind of detailed advice is what I do for all cruise clients, or at least the ones who want it and not all do. But while there are profits to be made they aren't as fat as has been hinted at.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 10, 2010 at 12:33 am
Old Sep 10, 2010, 7:57 am

Most cruise websites say "approximately" ---sq. ft. Some say "including balcony". They do differ from cruisedeckplans. My TA now uses that website to double check his own cabins.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tcook052
Meh. How much of what, though? Cruise line have been tacking on NCF's (Non-commissionable fares) on top of port taxes for years so not all of the base is actually commissionable. This NCF amount is almost a quarter of the base fare cost on my HAL cruise. BTW most cruise lines actually break out this amount on passenger copies as I'm constantly explianing what that amount means.

Also not every line pays every agent or agency as much commision as was quoted.

Should TA's work for their money? Absolutely and giving this kind of detailed advice is what I do for all cruise clients, or at least the ones who want it and not all do. But while there are profits to be made they aren't as fat as has been hinted at.
Amen to that!^

I completely agree. I work hard to make every client's trip as sucessful as possible to the level of detail they require but the notion that TA's are making fat cat money is just not true. Many work very hard just to make a decent salary; yes there are a few ones out there that make great salaries but that's not most
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:35 am

Getting this discussion back to the size of the matter , this TA really likes HAL/PCL/Cunard's Polar Online reservation system as it allows us quickly to access specific cabin size and give clients options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.