Wiki Posts
Search

Dream Cruise for Wife

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton Honors
Dream Cruise for Wife

My wife has a dream from her childhood as a military brat in the Panama Canal Zone. She saw the ships going through the canal and wanted to make the passage. We have been married 34 years and her health is failing. Our resources are limited so I have been shopping for an affordable Panama cruise for several years. There are two possibilities this September, both departing from Los Angeles(San Pedro I believe). This could be her last chance before her kidney failure requires dialysis and after pending gall bladder surgery. She has some mobility limitation from a partial foot amputation and un-healed broken ankle both from diabetes. She also had a heart attack and has five heart stints. We plan to fly Southwest to LAX and will try to keep our luggage to carry-on standards for simplicity and to avoid lost/delayed items. We would like suggestions for overnight lodging and transport to the ship.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
You'll probably get more and better responses at Cruise Critic.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 1:56 pm

Programs: Lifetime Gold UA and AA
Stay near LAX or near the Marina

While there are a couple of hotels near the San Pedro dock, the area is not very good, and a bad experience there could turn a dream vacation into a nighmare. While traffic is generally bad, around the boarding time (after lunch-the trip from LAX to San Pedro should be pretty painless. I would advise looking at the bidding relating sites (see that category) and researching priceline for these areas. Otherwise, all of the major chains have a presence at LAX.

Another idea is to find a hotel near marina del rey. This is very close to the airport, and has an abundance of nice waterfront restaurants and some beautiful hotels. The trip to San Pedro might be a couple of miles longer, but the stay would be much more pleasureable.

Be aware that there are two cruise ports in the LA area, San Pedro and Long Beach. Carnival goes from Long Beach, and there may be others. The advice above would not be applicable to the Long Beach Pier.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by ken4304
My wife has a dream from her childhood as a military brat in the Panama Canal Zone. She saw the ships going through the canal and wanted to make the passage. We have been married 34 years and her health is failing. Our resources are limited so I have been shopping for an affordable Panama cruise for several years. There are two possibilities this September, both departing from Los Angeles(San Pedro I believe). This could be her last chance before her kidney failure requires dialysis and after pending gall bladder surgery. She has some mobility limitation from a partial foot amputation and un-healed broken ankle both from diabetes. She also had a heart attack and has five heart stints. We plan to fly Southwest to LAX and will try to keep our luggage to carry-on standards for simplicity and to avoid lost/delayed items. We would like suggestions for overnight lodging and transport to the ship.
Wow!!! One of the most heart touching posts I have seen on FT in a long time. When you find out EXACTLY what pier you are departing from, we will be able to give you more information, regarding transport and lodging. Priceline will probably work very well. Super Shuttle at LAX will definitely get you to the pier, although there are lots of options.

You may email me personally. I was born and raised in LA. I currently live just over the border in Arizona. I am in LA for business every 2-3 weeks, so know my way around the city. [email protected]. Please put FT in the subject line.

I sure hope my husband thinks as highly of me as you do your wife. Congratulations. We will all try to make your trip a cruise of a lifetime.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton Honors
Dream Cruise Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.