Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Suggestions welcome -- Celebrity or Holland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

I'm new to cruising and are planning a Mediterranean cruise to see the Greek Isles this year.

I'm trying to decide between an April sailing on Holland America Westerdam with Balcony for $1,700 pp and a June sailing with Celebrity in an inside cabin (probably on a lower level) for around $1,500.
My research tells me the Celebrity comes pretty highly recommended and I think that's the smart choice. On the other hand, I'm wondering about the lower-end cabins on Celebrity. With this cruise, there isn't that much time at sea, so my gut tells me the better cruiseline is the best choice. I'm feeling a little bipolar here Would any of you seasoned cruisers like to voice any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 5, 2004, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I haven't been on Celebrity so can't give you a direct comparison. However, I was supposed to have been on the Westerdam on 7 May on a cruise with my family (now canx for family/health reasons) and we went through the same selection process.

The feeling from those family members who had done both Celebrity and HAL was that they were broadly comparable lines, and would have been happy with either. HAL is my personal favourite, having had many very good cruises - although this has something to do with the fact that I am a bit younger and more extrovert than HAL's typical pax, so usually get on very well (and party) with the cruise staff and other crew.

The one thing that you should be aware of is that the April Westerdam cruise will be her first true sailing - we were very aware that we were booking her second "proper" cruise. This has the usual pros and cons - a sense of occasion on one hand, but also an increased risk of teething problems on the other.

I myself wouldn't let the potential problems put me off; if you go in with the right attitude nothing will matter very much. But this is coming from someone who has booked onto a brand new RCI ship on 1 May on an unbrochured shakedown cruise, just to go and watch things going wrong.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:59 am

I'm trying to decide between an April sailing on Holland America Westerdam with Balcony for $1,700 pp and a June sailing with Celebrity in an inside cabin (probably on a lower level) for around $1,500.

We just sailed on the Celebrity Mercury (3 cabins -- 2 outside, one inside). While we haven't sailed on Holland, we can say that Celebrity was great. My immediate family had an outside cabin while my sister booked an inside cabin. We were both on the Plaza deck (we were 5025, she was 5011). While we had a window, our floor space was only 2/3rds of her's. Her particular cabin must be where the put "leftover" space,as not all inside cabins are as large as hers. But with 4 people in the cabin, extra space is nice!
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Definitely go with HAL - especially with a balcony in the Med. You gotta have one here & they have very large verandas. General consensus is that HAL, although always very good, is striving to be better, while Celebrity is sinking - a lot of nickel & diming, and not nearly as nice as it originally was. No matter what line, go with the veranda whatever you do!!
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:17 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Veranda's are great, but in my opinion you spend 98% of your waking hours outside of your room. I would take the nicer cruise line over the nicer room...but thats just me. Some people spend hours in their cabin, which I have never really understood. I prefer to be out of the room and on deck or enjoying the ship.

Old Mar 6, 2004, 9:53 am

But I DO think HAL is a nicer cruise line, so it's a win-win. Check out google groups rec.travel.cruises & I think you'll get similiar input.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 4:15 pm

This is a no brainer! I have been on both cruises. You will have a much better experience on HAL. No contest! By the way, if you are not locked into an agent, I recommend calling Sue from CruiseOne toll free at
888-680-7245. She is the only cruise agent that I know who will issue you a credit if your rate goes down before you sail. Tell her that Ray said to call.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 4:48 pm

My TA did that for a Silversea cruise last May - great service!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:29 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Celebrity is a great line, we cruised in a balcony cabin on the maiden voyage of the Millennium a few years ago. Even with a few onboard problems and slightly uneven service on that first cruise for that ship, we greatly enjoyed Celebrity.

I have no experience on HAL, but for only $200 difference, I would absolutely positively choose the HAL balcony cabin---especially as the poster above points out, for a cruise in the Med. It's wonderful to wake up and step onto your own private balcony to enjoy the sunrise (if early) or just check the weather.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for you input. We've decided to go with Holland and an outside veranda (it's the Med for goodness sake!)
You're input has gone a long way towards making me feel comfortable with our choice and I truly appeciate it.
We'll be on the May 7th sailing from Venice!
Bon Voyage and Grazi,
Janet
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:10 pm

Sounds like your choice is a good one, especially given the latest news regarding those problematic propulsion pods on some Celebrity vessels. That would scare me away until they finally fix this once and for all. I feel sorry for those affected by the Millennium cancellation.

Happy cruising.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jnexplores:
We'll be on the May 7th sailing from Venice!</font>
Ah! The sailing that I would have been on if we hadn't cancelled the trip. Enjoy it - I was certainly looking forward to that and I'm sure it will be just great. (If I decide to fly to Venice to use up the air ticket anyway, I will give you a wave.)
Old Mar 17, 2004, 9:15 am

Bon Voyage - and enjoy that veranda! I slept an entire afternoon on one on the Ryndamm - pure bliss! Where does your itinerary take you? We're doing Venice/Rome the end of May on SS - I'm very excited as I have never visited any of the stops in between - Positano & Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Sicily, Malta, Corfu, Croatia - Dubrovnik & Split.
Old Mar 20, 2004, 9:55 am
Original Member

I'm on the Ryndam right now. It's quite nice. The food and service are better than my recent cruises on RCCL. Say hi to the Hungarian staff in the Pinnacle for me.

QL
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:05 am

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brendamc:
.. We're doing Venice/Rome the end of May on SS - I'm very excited as I have never visited any of the stops in between - Positano & Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Sicily, Malta, Corfu, Croatia - Dubrovnik & Split. </font>
Sounds exciting! What ship is SS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.