Luxury Cruise Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Cruise Lines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by KatW
Disney is not a luxury line.
perhaps not, but their reviews on food, cabins, service, etc are better than that of any other cruise line including the "luxury Lines"

cf cruise critic
(the flyer talk of cruising)
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...all&sort=large
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many cruisers are unaware of what is available, in both cruise world, and world of land accommodations
in other words, its their (lack of) comparison that can be problem, which applies to reviews of most things
and not entirely their fault - travel agencies make a fortune (sometimes with zero effort) on cruises/tours

the world needs more of this >
http://www.alilahotels.com/purnama/rates
http://www.fourseasons.com/maldivesfse/
and perhaps >
http://pelagian.wakatobi.com/
http://www.northstarcruises.com.au/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 24, 2014 at 2:14 pm
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by BeatCal
perhaps not, but their reviews on food, cabins, service, etc are better than that of any other cruise line including the "luxury Lines"

cf cruise critic
(the flyer talk of cruising)
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...all&sort=large
Still doesn't make it a luxury line ... plus, well, you know, KIDS.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 6:33 pm

[QUOTE=KatW;24048734]Still doesn't make it a luxury line ... plus, well, you know, KIDS.[/QUOTE

I have heard that kids are less of an issue on Disney than on almost any other line because their kids programs are so good. So I've heard.....I haven't sailed with them because, as I said, Crystal offers such great value for solo passengers. My last cruise (transpacific) had 2 kids on board who were out of school for a year to travel the world with their parents. It was 3 days before I even knew that there were children on board.....a table mate at dinner told me, because they were in the iPad Movie course with her.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
[QUOTE=Calliopeflyer;24048978]
Still doesn't make it a luxury line ... plus, well, you know, KIDS.[/QUOTE

I have heard that kids are less of an issue on Disney than on almost any other line because their kids programs are so good. So I've heard.....I haven't sailed with them because, as I said, Crystal offers such great value for solo passengers. My last cruise (transpacific) had 2 kids on board who were out of school for a year to travel the world with their parents. It was 3 days before I even knew that there were children on board.....a table mate at dinner told me, because they were in the iPad Movie course with her.
That is very true. There are many older adults who travel without kids. One of the restaurants (which was the best at sea I have seen) does not allow kids.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Un-Cruise Adventures is another small ship to consider. I believe they top out around 125 passengers. I do not know much about them - I have a colleague well versed in them and they definitely highly recommend them for the cruiser who likes adventure.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:54 am
Suspended

Heard this as well. As one of my close friends put it: you can go on a Disney cruise and never see a single kid!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by Travel K
Un-Cruise Adventures is another small ship to consider. I believe they top out around 125 passengers. I do not know much about them - I have a colleague well versed in them and they definitely highly recommend them for the cruiser who likes adventure.
For the cruiser who likes adventure Un-Cruise might work. However, you are posting on "luxury cruise lines" thread.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:37 pm

Will be sailing june .
If ok , may cruise to Alaska with either of them . Unless figure out better line by decision time
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Am contemplating Alaska , M. S . Regatta , Oceania in May , if not this year then soon I hope . Haven ' t sailed there since the 80s .
Prefer their smaller ships
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

This is good to know because so far we have avoided this cruise line because of this. We love kids as we have them ourselves and grand children too. One day we will do a Disney Cruise with the whole family in tow.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Am contemplating Alaska , M. S . Regatta , Oceania in May , if not this year then soon I hope . Haven ' t sailed there since the 80s .
Prefer their smaller ships
We're looking at an Alaska cruise in 2018 (husband's 50th) and would love to do on a small ship. BUT I worry that lines that are new to Alaska can't get the limited passes to Glacier Bay....

We were on Pacific Princess in Alaska in 2007 and it was ideal! We love the R ship size, could get into some of the fjords larger ships cannot, AND Princess has the history in Alaska. But since they seem to be getting rid of all the ships I like.....

(for us, the itinerary in Alaska is more important than the ship amenities, but we would prefer not to cruise at all if the big ships are the only option - so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for what the options might be in 2018....)
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
(for us, the itinerary in Alaska is more important than the ship amenities, but we would prefer not to cruise at all if the big ships are the only option - so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for what the options might be in 2018....)
Crystal's Symphony does some Alaska cruises in 2017 and 2018....it's not as small as Princess' R class, but it's a medium sized ship (51,000 GT) with just over 900 passengers. Smaller than many, and very spacious and comfortable.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Crystal's Symphony does some Alaska cruises in 2017 and 2018....it's not as small as Princess' R class, but it's a medium sized ship (51,000 GT) with just over 900 passengers. Smaller than many, and very spacious and comfortable.
It's on the possibility list (anything smaller than 1500 pax is) but even for the 2016 itineraries that do include Glacier Bay - they say it depends on availability - I would have thought all the day passes for Glacier Bay would be assigned already?

Ah, well, do see at least they're on the list of the 5 that have concessions in the park http://www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisi...ndservices.htm

Geez, our only options among those will be Crystal and HAL if I insist on Glacier Bay....(we do like HAL but I know it's not a luxury line and thus not appropriate in this thread ;-)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:58 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Oceania , M . S . Marina

We have just returned from our March Pure Polynesia cruise on Oceania , M . S . Marina . It was our second time sailing with her but in a much larger suite which was unavailable on the last cruise . Think this Oceania Suite was the last one available too of the larger suites on this cruise to what might be the most enjoyable region for cruising .

We appreciated the 1000 sq ft of space with her own AV room , outdoor tub , etcetera & our friends could also join us for meals in our dining area - thankful for our butler .

Overall , while there has been a welcome refurbishment since we last sailed on her about 3 years ago , the service seems to have slipped somewhat . We were on an South America CHRISTmas / NY cruise before . The excursions for one , did not have a crew / staff accompany us on activities or at least see us safely off & back . Our group was actually left behind on one , unheard of previously & we have sailed with Oceania 4 times .

There seemed to be many greenhorns too , as evidenced in the main dining room , Grand Dining , as well as other areas .
How can crew not tell the difference between starboard & port ??!! Had to correct him ..

While it is still a good line , we will be sailing with others too . Our cruisemates already have .
Has anyone been on Oceania ‘ s M . S . Insignia ? We have only sailed on M . S . Nautica & M . S . Regatta .

Will likely sail on Seabourn as other friends have enjoyed it except that the cuisine likely won’t be as fine / good & varied . We do not quite like Silversea staterooms .
We shall see - pun intended .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.