Wifi on Cruises- for work

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2024, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I am considering going on one of Alaska or Caribbean cruise in May 2024.

Major factor in deciding on which cruise liner depends on qualify of wifi-which I will use for work.

I may or not need VPN to connect to work- but it is easier to access work email and work apps with VPN access.

I am confused as to buying wifi as a separate add-on, or as part of package.
Unless going on luxury cruise liner, I understand wifi on cruises is not free.

I am confused as to several levels of wifi that one can buy- ideally I want the fastest wifi I can get- but of course at a reasonable price.

Any recommendations?

Any web sites (recommended by FT) with links to cruise wifi advice.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I am considering going on one of Alaska or Caribbean cruise in May 2024.

Major factor in deciding on which cruise liner depends on qualify of wifi-which I will use for work.

I may or not need VPN to connect to work- but it is easier to access work email and work apps with VPN access.

I am confused as to buying wifi as a separate add-on, or as part of package.
Unless going on luxury cruise liner, I understand wifi on cruises is not free.

I am confused as to several levels of wifi that one can buy- ideally I want the fastest wifi I can get- but of course at a reasonable price.

Any recommendations?

Any web sites (recommended by FT) with links to cruise wifi advice.
You may get responses here, however, your best bet would be posting your query on cruisecritic.com.

Last edited by Randeman; Mar 24, 2024 at 8:32 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 24, 2024, 12:22 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Our last two cruises were on Celebrity. One cruise we had the basic all inclusive; basic drinks package, basic wifi and prepaid tips. We had to upgrade the Wifi because the basic is just so slow and only good to check email. With the upgraded my husband watched the Premier Legue game on his laptop. The basic drinks package wasn't really worth it. It's only good for drinks of a certain price and there really isn't any comprehensive drinks menus to know what you're paying for. They are trying to pass off a margaita made with beer on the cheap drinks package. It was disgusting to say the least. So unless you drink beer or low cost drinks the drinks package may not be worth it.

The second cruise we just did the prepaid tips. Waited till we got on board and bought the high grade wifi on the first day we decided we wanted Wifi (it's prorated by day) and just bought drinks as we wanted. You can bring on soda/non-alchoholic drinks to keep in your cabin.

I would think that any cruise line that offers more than one speed internet you will need the premium one. The websites are pretty good about explaining what the internet speed can be used for.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Princess has converted to Starlink. It’s on all ships AFAIK. It has sufficient horsepower for streaming, video calling, surfing, etc. If I needed to work, I wouldn’t hesitate to book one of their Alaska cruises. There is anecdotal evidence on CC that it even works well on Antarctica voyages.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
Our last two cruises were on Celebrity. One cruise we had the basic all inclusive; basic drinks package, basic wifi and prepaid tips. We had to upgrade the Wifi because the basic is just so slow and only good to check email. With the upgraded my husband watched the Premier Legue game on his laptop. The basic drinks package wasn't really worth it. It's only good for drinks of a certain price and there really isn't any comprehensive drinks menus to know what you're paying for. They are trying to pass off a margaita made with beer on the cheap drinks package. It was disgusting to say the least. So unless you drink beer or low cost drinks the drinks package may not be worth it.

The second cruise we just did the prepaid tips. Waited till we got on board and bought the high grade wifi on the first day we decided we wanted Wifi (it's prorated by day) and just bought drinks as we wanted. You can bring on soda/non-alchoholic drinks to keep in your cabin.

I would think that any cruise line that offers more than one speed internet you will need the premium one. The websites are pretty good about explaining what the internet speed can be used for.
Basic WiFi on Celebrity used to be able to handle normal stuff like sending pictures, etc... but they now limited it. You can't really do much with it other than sending a few messages without pictures. If OP is on Celebrity, upgrade to premium internet is a must. Premium internet with Celebrity is on Starlink but is also limited by Celebrity on bandwidth. You will get about 5Mbps down and 2Mbps up. It's not bad, normal work can be done, but you probably can't host a video meeting.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:14 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Virgin is about to launch a much better premium wifi that they’re saying will be good enough for full work on their ships. They’re also marketing a work
from helm month long pass.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Randeman
You may get responses here, however, your best bet would be posting your query on cruisecritic.com.
Agreed, you will get much better answers there for cruising related questions
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:35 am

Some cruise line internet packages may not allow access to all websites, even if they offer a premium or faster service. My husband's job includes monitoring several internet forums, but found out (after purchasing the premium package) that access to all of them was blocked, due to bandwidth considerations according to the customer service desk. I also believe that most streaming services and video calls were also blocked. This was in the Caribbean, and also a Starlink connection.

You might want to contact the cruise line directly for specifics.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:32 am

Just got off an NCL Joy cruise - they are (or have) upgraded most ships to Starlink. The "Premium Streaming" package was fast, but I did have issues with my VPN and Authenticators in certain areas. I assume they were likely protecting me from what it saw as unknown behavior. The IPs are issued from a variety of Caribbean nations - so just be aware if that is an issue for your IT group. Otherwise, it was functional and I was able to do what I need...however, there were some blocks for video calling and some voice features. So your mileage may vary.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Virgin

Originally Posted by Omnivore
Virgin is about to launch a much better premium wifi that they’re saying will be good enough for full work on their ships. They’re also marketing a work
from helm month long pass.
This is a really cool offer-sail for a month for a smidge over $10,000 per CABIN for 2. Includes wi-fi, gratuities, specialty dining, group fitness.
Old Apr 19, 2024, 8:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Did a bit of research after a really disappointing StarLink experience, which fortunately will not be the norm.

A word of caution regarding StarLink. It uses lower-orbit satellites for improved responsiveness and speed, and it works wonderfully in areas it's designed to cover. But on our December Hong Kong-Singapore cruise on Celebrity, it was often reminiscent of dial-up for speed, maybe DSL a few times, but often no coverage at all. More populated corridors (and seaways) are going to have better coverage, but Starlink's advantages from lower orbits might turn into a disadvantage when you're off the beaten track.

I think StarLink should be a dramatic improvement for most cruise ship routes. But if work requires a good connection, I'd check with others who have traveled the same route previously.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Mike Jacoubowsky ,

Your experience with Starlink is a big contrast to mine. We went from HK to Singapore in March on Seabourn and had absolutely great wifi. We did have the "Streaming" package, which is marketed as good for streaming, VPN, internet telephony and cloud access.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by 747FC
Mike Jacoubowsky ,

Your experience with Starlink is a big contrast to mine. We went from HK to Singapore in March on Seabourn and had absolutely great wifi. We did have the "Streaming" package, which is marketed as good for streaming, VPN, internet telephony and cloud access.
We were told it was hit & miss on that route, and in our case, a miss. The crew themselves were quite frustrated with it. We were in The Retreat so we had to best wifi package. Didn't matter if we were in our room or anywhere else on the ship.

Some believed it had something to do with China. Glad your experience was better! I did look up the Starlink coverage maps and they don't have much going on in that area.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Last year we had an interesting situation with Starlink sailing the South Pacific. Everythng was fine except when we were in port at Noumea. No connectivity the entire day until we sailed away.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
This is for general information. Explora Starlink so superior to the other two lines I've been on recently.....Seabourn and Crystal. If being connected is serious for your business, Explora is worth a look. Plus, IME no blockage of anything.
747FC and Global Adventurer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.