Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Atlas Ocean Voyages?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just got a paper brochure from them in the snail mail and their itineraries look nice. I have not heard of them, however. What have been peoples' experiences?

edit: I used the Google machine and determined they're a newer cruise brand that focuses on Antarctic and Arctic cruises but also has a BOGO Mediterranean sale for 2024 (the brochure I got is for the Med itineraries). Small ships of about 200 passengers, with all food and drink included. They bill themselves as an "adventurous" or "more active" cruise line for people who want to use the ship more as a jumping off point for their own adventures vs having the cruise line do all the planning for them. They also stay in port longer to let you spend more time ashore.

Prices are not as expensive as other cruise lines with similar-size ships. The 2024 BOGO Med sale advertises per person prices from $2000, which seems highly reasonable to me for a 10 night small ship Mediterranean cruise. Mr Gfunk and I really want to go to Antarctica, and it looks like prices for those are more like $10k pp.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Feb 26, 2024 at 3:25 pm
Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:33 pm

Smile Saw videos of their Antarctic Expeditions

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Mr Gfunk and I really want to go to Antarctica, and it looks like prices for those are more like $10k pp.
We're in the same boat google it on youtube...antarctica expeditions and you'll see a few reviews for Atlas Ocean Voyages. We're hoping to go January 2025 but I'm still doing my research and seems that Atlantic Ocean seems like a great value and cheaper than the other fancier cruise companies. We didn't want to "rough" it on a very small dinky research vessel with small portholes etc. but wanted something in the middle where we got to explore but still have some pretty nice accomodations and food on board.

I tried to get in contact with them but got referred to a travel agent,Avoya Travel, that put me on hold then hung up. So far I'm not impressed. I'll do further research and see if there's a reputable travel agent worth booking with.

If you find anything on your end..let me know and I'll do the same. We're budgeting $12k pp or $25k for our expedition.

M
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:44 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
I returned about a month ago from an Atlas voyage to Antarctica. Overall, it was spectacular, though not without its hiccups. The ship, the crew, and the food were amazing in every dimension. I have not been on other cruises, but from the comparison shopping I did, it seems Atlas was a tremendous value in the Arctic relative to other cruise line offerings. Our suite was very nice sized and well-finished. The ship itself is beautiful, with ample gathering places and wonderful dining facilities. I can't emphasize enough how much I liked the ship and how spectacular the crew was.

The complication came when we were delayed two days in Ushuaia because of a ship malfunction. Communication around the status of repair was subpar. More frequent announcements, even if they were "We know nothing new" would have helped ease the tensions. I blame this mostly on the corporate side of Atlas, not the ship crew. Indeed, the ship crew was spectacular, offering to move us to another Atlas ship (we had to decline because we could not change the return flights for our group). Atlas' first offer of compensation (from corporate) met with disbelief --50% off a future cruise. Many on this trip were never going to take another trip like this, so the offer was not very meaningful. Ultimately, we got a 25% refund to go with the original offer. This was very fair.

Once underway, the trip was simply spectacular. Atlas did everything they could to make up for the lost time. They stretched the days to fit in an additional activity and just did an outstanding job in showing us Antarctica. By the time we arrived in Antarctica the delay was largely forgotten. My advice to anyone heading down to Antarctica is absolutely consider Atlas. I would 100% travel with them again. But, regardless of who you travel with, be patient and flexible, and be well-insured. It is the Antarctic, and things can and do go wrong. Ultimately, Atlas stepped up and we had a fantastic time.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.