Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What happens if travel companion is a no-show?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

A friend and I have a 16-night LA-Chili cruise planned on Celebrity in a few weeks, leaving on 12/7. There's now a chance that he won't be able to make it. Obviously this close-in everything is fully paid and no longer refundable. I'd still like to take the cruise solo even if he can't go since I don't want to lose that money. Is there any risk of me being denied embarkation or having to pay any additional money if he can't go?
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Not usually. If you can find somebody who is able to go with you, you may even be able to switch out the name of the passenger so that person can go.
alenguy likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 2:37 pm

Best you can hope for is taxes back
alenguy likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 3:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Schnit
Best you can hope for is taxes back
...and port fees.
alenguy likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2023, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

A related question - what's the best way to verbalize what happened without making it sound too suspicious like it was planned (it wasn't)? Would something general like "He had some work stuff come up at the last minute that's preventing him from joining me" do the trick? This is the truth, but other people have advised me that it sounds too general and suspicious. Advice?
Old Nov 11, 2023, 9:00 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by alenguy
A related question - what's the best way to verbalize what happened without making it sound too suspicious like it was planned (it wasn't)? Would something general like "He had some work stuff come up at the last minute that's preventing him from joining me" do the trick? This is the truth, but other people have advised me that it sounds too general and suspicious. Advice?
I suspect you are overthinking this. The cruise line has there rules re intended no-shows. Call them up and find out what options are available.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by alenguy
No need to say anything beyond "He couldn't make it". I have done this on Celebrity, although it was many years ago. If you wish, you can call (or have your TA call) Celebrity ahead of time.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Since there is no financial benefit to having someone cancel, why would Celebrity care if it sounds "suspicious"? Celebrity comes out ahead since they don't have to provide services for a second guest.
AfterHour likes this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Nov 15, 2023 at 5:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since there is no finncial benefit to having someone cancel, why would Celebrity care if it sounds "suspicious"? Celebrity comes out ahead since they don't have to provide services for a second guest.
There is if they retrospectively charge a "Single Supplement"... I think thats what the OP was worried about.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by trooper
There is if they retrospectively charge a "Single Supplement"... I think thats what the OP was worried about.
I think the no show companion has effectively paid the single supplement. I have heard that you can make a substitution prior to sailing as long as one of the original cruisers is still sailing.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
With the cheap cruisecos (i.e., most of them), they're banking on making more money on ancillary spending than costing (very marginal) costs of actually being onboard.
trooper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.