Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

NCL Alaskan Cruise - Any Benefit to Embarking Early?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2023, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN

Currently choosing my embarkation/check-in time for an upcoming Alaskan cruise. Is there any benefit to getting on the ship early? We do need some reservations for specialty dining that we have not been able to secure in advance, so was wondering if getting on the ship early would allow me to procure these.

Also, we are several different parties. Would I be able to make group reservations under their names as well if they're not yet on the ship?

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2023, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Is there any benefit to getting on the ship early?
It's good if you want to have lunch on the ship.
FlyerEC, gretchendz and BamaVol like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
And in general, you tend to avoid the boarding rush which occurs later in the afternoon, so less foofaraw going through the check in process.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Where are you departing? Vancouver or Seattle - I'd say get onboard and enjoy the ship as soon as possible. Especially Vancouver where you have to go through US immigration prior to boarding the ship. Seward? Take the extra time and go on day tour of Kenai Fjords for example.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Assuming you have a drinks package, you can start drinking immediately. It’s not all-day drinking unless you start in the morning.

I also agree with mahasamatman. Find the MDR that’s open for lunch and enjoy.
DJ_Iceman and gretchendz like this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
What time does the boarding process usually start? We'll be on an NCL cruise departing Baltimore in Sept. and my DW doesn't do well standing in long lines. She'll be using a cane or a walker. We'd like to start the process before it gets too crowded.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by philemer
What time does the boarding process usually start?
It really varies, but 11:00 is not a bad place to start. Note that most lines make you pick a boarding time during online checkin, so you can see what they offer. Depending on the port, disabled people (wheelchairs and scooters) can often check in and board without adhering to checkin time.
philemer likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It really varies, but 11:00 is not a bad place to start. Note that most lines make you pick a boarding time during online checkin, so you can see what they offer. Depending on the port, disabled people (wheelchairs and scooters) can often check in and board without adhering to checkin time.
You might even consider 11:30 to minimize time spent standing. That will still get you lunch in the MDR, which may be closed as early as 1:00 or 1:30. My next Princess cruise starts boarding supposedly at 11:30, but we probably won’t attempt until 12:30. I still like a sit down lunch to kick off a cruise but last time around, I was able to order a sandwich delivered right to my lounge chair by the pool within 15 minutes of arrival.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BamaVol
You might even consider 11:30 to minimize time spent standing. That will still get you lunch in the MDR, which may be closed as early as 1:00 or 1:30. My next Princess cruise starts boarding supposedly at 11:30, but we probably won’t attempt until 12:30. I still like a sit down lunch to kick off a cruise but last time around, I was able to order a sandwich delivered right to my lounge chair by the pool within 15 minutes of arrival.
I believe our hotel check out time will be 11am and we are about a 10 min. cab ride from the Baltimore harbor so will pick an early check in time. NCL cruise starts 9/21 so won't get check in docs until 9/1. I prefer boarding early vs sitting around the hotel.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You might even consider 11:30 to minimize time spent standing. That will still get you lunch in the MDR, which may be closed as early as 1:00 or 1:30. My next Princess cruise starts boarding supposedly at 11:30, but we probably won’t attempt until 12:30..
It's my understanding (since my experience on Princess is limited to 4 and 5 days repo cruises) that the MDR isn't open for lunch on port days. MDRs are (or were) open on embarkation day on Holland America though.
Old Aug 2, 2023, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
It's my understanding (since my experience on Princess is limited to 4 and 5 days repo cruises) that the MDR isn't open for lunch on port days.
In our experience, there is always one open for lunch on embarkation day.
BamaVol likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In our experience, there is always one open for lunch on embarkation day.
True. The difficulty is in getting a crew member to admit it and direct you to the correct one. They have a tendency, I’m told, to point you to the buffet. We found it ourselves in March. Second Princess cruise coming up in September and I am determined to eat lunch in the MDR even if I have to visit all 5 to locate the open one.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:24 pm

The difficulty is in getting a crew member to admit it and direct you to the correct one.
Look for the one that has the Reserve Dining area (for suites and Reserve Collection mini-suites). That's the one that will be open.

ETA: I believe your ship (Sapphire) uses the Santa Fe dining room.
BamaVol likes this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Aug 9, 2023 at 4:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.