Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Regent v. Oceania?

Regent v. Oceania?

Old Sep 27, 22, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Regent v. Oceania?

DH and I have a lot of cruises booked on Regent through 2024, and are really looking forward to them. We like the size of the ships (smaller), the all-suite layout (really love that), the country club casual dress code, the food options (we like good food), and the all-inclusive nature (we like to travel in J class, which is included on international segments of Regent cruises). We also like the fact that tips, including cabin stewards' tips, are included in the price of the cruise, so there is no whipping out your room key card whenever you are paying for things, no figuring out extra tips for cabin steward etc. at the end of the voyage.

Here's where it gets complicated (for us):: excursions are technically included, but we have found that in certain ports, there are NO excursions available for wheelchair users (so I guess we will be staying on board). Not what we expected at all. Alcoholic beverages are included. However, my DH and I don't drink much (just the occasional glass of wine or flute of champagne), so this benefit seems really lost on us.

In the future, should we be looking at Oceania, booking our own flights with miles, and maybe booking a suite category? Would that be a good fit for us? We've heard the focus on Oceania is the food. And their ships can be comparable in size to Regent. Just not sure.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Sep 27, 22, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
I can't compare Oceania to Regent as we haven't sailed Regent, but I can give you my Oceania review. We did a Caribbean holiday cruise, rt Miami, in Dec 2019 (our last big trip before quarantine). First time on Oceania, on Riviera (one of the 1100 passenger ships) for 10 days, I think. (Later, I will look to see if I reviewed this trip here or on cruise critic ;-) Another caveat - I don't enjoy beaches, don't love to cruise the Caribbean, but my inlaws wanted us to do this trip with them, so of course!

The ship had more people than I enjoy, but I did enjoy the amenities the larger ship offered - more restaurants and bars, cooking school - we did 3 cooking classes!- art studio etc. We had a standard balcony, but I think it was the second or third tier up bc it was nicely positioned midship. Though the space was fine, we much preferred our seabourn cabin - better layout and more efficient use of space. I'll have to look up the cabin size but I think ours were quite close on each cruise.

The food is amazing. I prefer seabourn and can't wait to sail them again but oh my the food on Oceania really is that good. But also my very meat & potatoes inlaws love the food too. They've done several Oceania cruises in the past 10 years and had planned to do another this year but had to cancel due to health concerns :-(. They have a strange way of making Old Fashioneds, but they'll make it like I like if I tell them....(we had a drinks package and tips came with our travel agent and a deal the cruise line was running; we did our own air - always do- and our own excursions as well)

I'll go see if I wrote a review anywhere to share....
ysolde, gretchendz and 747FC like this.

Last edited by Hoyaheel; Sep 27, 22 at 7:01 pm
Old Sep 27, 22, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Thank you, Hoyaheel . This is good information. The art classes especially would be right up our alley (especially during sea days). I do wonder whether we might not be better off tailoring a mid-level cruise like Oceania to our needs just a bit. Well, it's good that cruising is happening again, isn't it, and that we have the flexibility to think about these things.

We do realize that the mega ships, with the race cars and the rock climbing walls and such, sound like an awful lot of fun, but at our age and activity level, they just are not our cup of tea. We much prefer a ship that. has afternoon tea and lectures and classes and the like. Even a library appeals to my DH tremendously. And if you add in lots of good food, we are sort of in heaven.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 27, 22, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
I really prefer a smaller ship. But I don't want to sail on Oceania's R class ships either - I love those ships but I'm not paying what Oceania charges and then not get the specialty restaurants ;-)
Old Sep 30, 22, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might also check out sea dream
edit - sorry, did not know this >
seadream.com/about/faq

coincidentally, regent and oceania are only ones to offer top suites that are full 'width' of ship (vs half 'width')
marina, riviera, vista - owners suite
grandeur, splendor, explorer - regent suite
gretchendz likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 14, 22 at 10:20 am
Old Sep 30, 22, 9:23 pm

I've not been on Regent, but I have sailed on Oceania two larger ships Marina and Riviera. I've also sailed on the SIZE of the smaller O ships, but on Azamara.

I sailed Seabourn ( down the coast of Chile and Peru in 2019

Sailed 16 nights to Antarctica November 2021 on Silversea.

Just did Silversea Galapagos in August.

My 2 cents. I enjoyed Oceania food ( specialty restaurants, no charge) the most of all the lines. The pax # a little bigger than we like on O, but it was fine. O also has a little thing to most people, but to us a big deal. Self serve coffee machines. Also, we don't drink, so not having alcohol included was nice that we weren't paying for something we didn't use. SS and Seabourn were expeditions, so those excursions being included was a big deal. Suite size ( regular balcony stateroom ) pretty much a tie. All are fine.

Ask me any questions.
FlyerEC, gretchendz, Rare and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 22, 3:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Our last dozen cruises have been on Regent 7 Seas and Holland. We have not done Oceania.

My analysis is Regent is very expensive, but this does not bother me IF I am going to use all of what is included. If you cannot take advantage of tours, you still are paying for them in the price. Same goes of booze. Wine packages are available on most any brand ships. While Regent has better food in all venues, you are limited to the number of visits to the upscale venues based on status. Your status includes the current cruise on Regent, not so on Holland. Holland is much cheaper. It too is very good, most of the time. They have a couple smaller ships. Food is limited to the lido (buffet) or main dining room (neither of which compare to Regent most meals). Hollands ships have Italian and Steak/Seafood specialty dining. Both require an upcharge. Tips are sometimes included in Holland, but when they are not, you will not have to make calculations.as they put a flat rate per person, per day, based on your cabin category., You can go on the website and see things that are included in promotion. As a past customer, specials are mailed to you.

You can usually book tours, suitable to your needs on your own at each port you go to. This requires effort. Some tours are private cars. More cost, but perhaps fits your needs. Cruise critic, on their roll calls, are often dominated by people looking to share privately booked tours. Both lines offer "upscale" tours at extra cost. Regent offers fares without air too. This could allow you to do award flights, and avoid double pay. Regent also has upcharges for flights you might find more suitable (directs, no stops, etc) under their program. Only the international portion of the flights are in upgraded categories. US portions are in coach.

In summary, we have cruised many different cruise lines. We have settled in on these two. We cannot take advantage of all of the includers in Regent, but still are planning to go with them, if and when we can again. Each cruise line has its own "package and pricing'. Finding a good fit is a good start. As I now have some mobility issues plus, we expect our next cruise will be on Holland as they have several San Diego to San Diego cruises. Good for you that you can do long flights in a wheelchair. Happy sailing.
ysolde likes this.
Old Oct 12, 22, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
might also check out sea dream
Did you read the OP? Why would you suggest this to a person riding a wheelchair?
Toolmaker96 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 22, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, all. There's a lot to consider. For now, we are going to go with the Regent cruises we have booked, and just enjoy them. That puts us into spring 2024. Lots of food for thought here as to cruise lines to consider in the future.
FlyerEC and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Oct 21, 22, 6:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We really enjoy being on Oceania particularly in OC on the larger ships or VS on the smaller ones . The larger ones with max 1200 passengers are preferred as we love having more of the restaurants especially on longer cruises . Fabulous meals & Barristas for coffee , tea , pastries & such with a view & yes , the afternoon teas in the lounge
The balconies are a somewhat generous size for these staterooms .
Our inaugural cruise on their new Vista was cancelled as the ship will not be ready by April ( even when we did not book the actual inaugural - the first 3 of her cruises were cancelled ) . Her subsequent cruises are all fully booked in the staterooms our Cruisemates prefer .

Have been trying to sail on Regent but since the borders reopened up , the preferred staterooms are always unavailable !
Friends have just returned from their Mediterranean cruise & are always on the Regent .
Old Nov 6, 22, 9:28 am

Our go to cruise line has been Silversea. We, like you, like the size and they have good airfare "deals" for business class. We have also sailed with Seabourn a couple times and like them as well. However, we sailed on Viking Ocean for the first time this past March from London (Tilbury) to Bergen, Norway and we cannot say enough good things about our experience. While it's a slightly bigger ship than those in the Silversea and Seabourn fleet, one would never know it, except when it come to the interior spaces. They are lovely! Bright and airy and simply well done in their Scandinavian style. The food was the best we've ever had on a cruise ship and many on land restaurants. The excursions we went on were excellent and the enrichment seminars were top notch. I highly recommend that you check them out.
ysolde likes this.
Old Nov 6, 22, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Sunny 1 View Post
Our go to cruise line has been Silversea. We, like you, like the size and they have good airfare "deals" for business class.
We're trying them for the first time next year, and just got bitten by their "deal". On the outbound, they wanted to book us with a short connection in AMS (which most seem to agree is one of the last places you want a short connection) rather than any of several available non-stops. And on the return, they tried to book us into Icelandair's "Business Class", which would not even qualify as Premium Economy on most other airlines. We had to pay significant additional money beyond their "deal" (more than double their original quote) to get real Business Class and a reasonable schedule.
Old Nov 7, 22, 10:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
We're trying them for the first time next year, and just got bitten by their "deal". On the outbound, they wanted to book us with a short connection in AMS (which most seem to agree is one of the last places you want a short connection) rather than any of several available non-stops. And on the return, they tried to book us into Icelandair's "Business Class", which would not even qualify as Premium Economy on most other airlines. We had to pay significant additional money beyond their "deal" (more than double their original quote) to get real Business Class and a reasonable schedule.
That would piss me off too and might have been a deal breaker for us. I would expect better from a premium cruise line.
Old Nov 7, 22, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
We have found its sometimes a better deal for us to book our own air travel and opt for Silverseas port to port fare rather than their door to door fare.
ysolde likes this.
Old Nov 7, 22, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Sunny 1 View Post
We have found its sometimes a better deal for us to book our own air travel and opt for Silverseas port to port fare rather than their door to door fare.
I don't think they introduced the port to port fares until after we had already booked.

Search this Thread