Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Family of 5 on cruise -- cabin approach?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.

I've never cruised before with my family (husband/me + 3 kids, currently ages 12, 12, 13).
We're considering a cruise -- actually a transatlantic crossing -- in the coming year or two, and trying to figure out how families of 5 book cruise cabins?
When we stay in hotels, we usually get a suite (us) + adjoining room with 2 doubles (kids). Is there a cruise ship equivalent of that?

I've had a look at Cunard's QM2, and they don't book cabins for U16 without an adult -- but presumably we could just book an adult for each room, and then sleep differently.
Any experience on the QM2 -- are there adjoining rooms?

Thanks for any guidance!
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
https://ask.completecruisesolution.c...nnecting_rooms

You might also want to consider searching or posting on Cruise Critic. You should get more of a response there.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:19 pm

Pretty sure you have to book 1 adult in each room. My friend last time was travelling with 2 kids and they booked 2 connecting rooms on Celebrity cruise. Celebrity actually combined the entrance into one entrance (opening the inside doors and close the outside big door, see picture), and the 2 balconies into one balcony. That was really cool. The 2 connecting 2 rooms is just like one big suite.

albie likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 7:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Yes-the best would be to book two adjoining cabins with one adult and one/two kids each. The Queen Mary 2 has some cabins where you can open the door between. Once you are onboard, no one will care who sleeps where

I love the Queen Mary 2. Lots to do. Although not especially child-oriented. No roller coaster But if your kids would enjoy a planetarium. beautiful library, and interesting lectures, they will love it. It does tend to have more formal nights and dress code than other lines.

Depending on when you are going, the more family oriented cruise lines will have transatlantic crossings as well. In most cases you can do the same. Depending on the ship, there will sometimes be family suites as well.

I'd be happy to look some up for you if you have a date range.
albie likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by albie
I've never cruised before with my family (husband/me + 3 kids, currently ages 12, 12, 13).
We're considering a cruise -- actually a transatlantic crossing -- in the coming year or two, and trying to figure out how families of 5 book cruise cabins?
When we stay in hotels, we usually get a suite (us) + adjoining room with 2 doubles (kids). Is there a cruise ship equivalent of that?

I've had a look at Cunard's QM2, and they don't book cabins for U16 without an adult -- but presumably we could just book an adult for each room, and then sleep differently.
Any experience on the QM2 -- are there adjoining rooms?

Thanks for any guidance!
You say that you've never cruised before with your family--but have you or anyone else in your family cruised before? I would seriously consider a short coastal trial cruise of a few days before putting your family through a long TA cruise. You don't know how they will adapt to the environment--physically or psychologically.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
You say that you've never cruised before with your family--but have you or anyone else in your family cruised before? I would seriously consider a short coastal trial cruise of a few days before putting your family through a long TA cruise. You don't know how they will adapt to the environment--physically or psychologically.
The "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" ad infinitum...

The one advantage to Cunard is a faster TATL trip (1 week?) vs at least a few days more for the other lines.

For best deals (at least in the past) ships typically repo to Europe anytime from March to June, and repo back to the Americas (some go to South America & Caribbean) from September to December.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:49 pm

We did it, one adult registered in each cabin and just went to the purser, err I mean Customer Service to get additional key cards so whomever was going to stay in that room had access even though they were booked in the other.
It was split by sex, me and my nephew in one and wife her sister and her daughter in the other. Only problem was when I asked the room steward to put the beds together I got a very weird look and asked if I was sure, that's when I said my wife would be joining me in this cabin and my nephew would be moving to his mother's cabin so he made the single bed.
The key cards had no charge privileges but did have a name.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:25 am

Programs: amex
no experience with Cunard but did a med cruise with a family of 5 (10 y/o triplets) plus grandma on Disney great experience in adjoining cabins. They do have a family cabin that fits 5 but probably pretty tight. Yes, 1 adult listed per room. If getting adjoining try to get balconies that also open up.

We are booked next year on NCL haven 2 bedroom suite in the haven. You may want to check that out as well. Best
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We took a couple teen boys on a 4 night cruise with RCCL. I booked one adult and one teen per room and gave the boys their own cabin. I’ve seen cabins with bunks that would hold 3. We didn’t get adjoining cabins but I know they’re available.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
It depends on how old the children are.
When we were cruising with our kids and the oldest was only 12, then we split up and had an adult in each cabin.

However, once there were 2 teens and a single digit child, we booked cabins across the hall, with the kids in the inside cabin with bunk beds and us on the balcony side. That way we didn't have to deal with the side effects of children, namely dealing with the disorder of 3 children. It also allowed them to sleep later (we are early risers) and it gave them some degree of freedom. We had rules about meals (they were required to be only at dinner with us) and of course if they wanted to join us when leaving the ship, they could, but otherwise they were enrolled in the ship's children's activities which we made sure they attended.

With all that said, the above answers are also perfectly acceptable solutions to your question.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
We've done this many many times as a family. When my brother & I were kids, we had connecting rooms on Royal Caribbean. On paper one parent was with one kid in each room, with parents actually sleeping in one room, kids in the other. As we got older with our own families, we all had individual rooms, in some cases with extra beds for grandkids.

I can't even say how much we all love doing this. Everyone does their own thing during the day - including me as a kid in the kids/teen club - and then we meet up as a family for dinner, scattering again after. Occasionally we'd do an excursion together or have after dinner drinks/see a show.

We have never done a transatlantic as a family, though, and while my husband & I want to do one, I don't think we ever will as a family. I think shore days and a kid/teen club with other kids to meet and hang out with should be requirements for any family cruise.
gretchendz and Randyk47 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
The "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" ad infinitum...

The one advantage to Cunard is a faster TATL trip (1 week?) vs at least a few days more for the other lines.
My first transatlantic was unique in that it was not supposed to have more than two sea days in a row, but due to weather we ended up skipping a port and had 4 sea days in a row. When we docked at the next port, I watched people step off the ship and kiss the ground because being at sea for 4 days was too long for them. Most TAs are going to have at least 6-7 sea days in a row, so definitely something to consider when deciding on a transatlantic for a first cruise.

The other thing I will advise is that transatlantics will typically have an older crowd than a typical round trip cruise, even on the most family oriented of lines. There are still amazing times to be had for all ages, but I would not book one expecting lots of other kids for yours to hang out with (which can be a plus or a minus depending on the personality).
gretchendz and BamaVol like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
My first transatlantic was unique in that it was not supposed to have more than two sea days in a row, but due to weather we ended up skipping a port and had 4 sea days in a row. When we docked at the next port, I watched people step off the ship and kiss the ground because being at sea for 4 days was too long for them. Most TAs are going to have at least 6-7 sea days in a row, so definitely something to consider when deciding on a transatlantic for a first cruise.
True enough, that's the typical cruiser (want lots of ports). My last cruise left port, and didn't get to the destination/disembarkation point until 12 days (or 12 nts) later. No stops (due to having nowhere to stop!) inbetween. Nothing to interfere with leisurely enjoyment of the food and complimentary beverages. Ship was even late arriving (at least 8 hrs) due to having to avoid bad weather so we got an extra lunch and tea in.
wrp96, Randyk47 and gretchendz like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Count Me As

Count me as someone who loves at sea days...Here's one list why. Many of these would apply to other TATLs too I admit, not everyone's cup of tea, but it is ours.

Queen Mary 2 101 Things (cunard.com)
Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Count me as someone who loves at sea days...Here's one list why. Many of these would apply to other TATLs too I admit, not everyone's cup of tea, but it is ours.

Queen Mary 2 101 Things (cunard.com)
Try a Ponant TPAC (or other repos). In my case, it was Honolulu (departed 3hrs late for whatever reason) to Maizuru at ~USD 130 pp pd which included gratuities, unlimited internet, complimentary basic wines and liquors. and Nespresso coffees. Facilities limited on a ship that can only carry 260-270 pax but since there were only 70 of us so lots of room. Entertainment was limited too due to low numbers. Other problem is that there was something going on in the galley so we lost the French executive and sous chefs for this part of the voyage (and a good part of the previous one). One of the FiIlipino cooks stepped up into the role as acting sous chef but the menu did get a bit repetititve (but still very good food). Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) the French (and Belgian respectively) chef patisseuse and 2nd patissier stayed on as did the French boulanger. Croissants though small (but unlimited) were among the best we've ever had. My wife's daily breakfast was croissants with good bacon and Corsican (IIRC) marmalade. We always had Champagne to start the day - a not very good minor label but better than Kirkland (drier) but it appears Ponant has since upped the game to Veuve Clicquot (not that it is necessarily good which used to be served only for the Captain's dinner.
gretchendz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.