Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

And yet another cruise line COVID fail....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

And yet another cruise line COVID fail....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
This could the problem. Cruise lines may require crew to be inoculated as they may not be able to travel to deployment ports otherwise, and the some of the countries the crew come from may not be able to source approved vaccines for quite sometime (or pessimistically, forever), and the cruises lines may not be able to obtain (approved/accepted) vaccines privately and transport them to inoculate their employees. I don't think Bermuda, the Netherlands, the Bahamas, Liberia, Malta, Panama, Wallis & Fotuna, etc. will provide their vaccine stock to cruise ships flagged in their country (or maybe they would in return for a generous contibution to an anonymous Swiss bank account)..

As for inoculation being a condition of employment, the work requirements could perhaps be "must be admissible to all destination countries" and one of the criteria is be proof of inoculation.
No doubt getting potential employees vaccinated is going to be a daunting challenge. Of course when you’re burning millions dollars a month you have a big incentive to try to solve that problem quickly. I would imagine cruise lines are working very hard to obtain vaccines as soon as they can without raising some huge international stink. I am still very pessimistic that we are going to see a significant return of cruising until late 2021 if even that early. We have yet to hear from countries in terms of their future plans for travel restrictions. If we return to the old days where you literally did no international travel without proof of vaccinations then we have a long haul to normal or new normal.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We are scheduled out at the end of Oct. 2021. SAN to the UAE Abu Dhabi flying. Then cruise to South Africa over 20 days. Several issues of concern:
1. Talk of current admin. banning some domestic flights.
2. Testing to get back into USA.
3. Americans flying into Abu Dhabi (no hotel, just flight and trip to ship...although the timing could be messy)
4. Testing necessary while in flight

That gets us to and on the ship. and perhaps home.
5. Port issues everywhere...testing, restrictions, etc. Ship docking. Passengers allowed off. Servicing and restocking of ship.

That's getting around.
6. Exposure to covid in countries that have not gotten "herd immunity" or even any immunity
7. Exposure to new variants of the disease in these 3rd world countries
8. Close quarters when using the lifeboats to get into port (tendering)

That's is some off ship exposure
9. Close dining, buffets, shows, etc. on ship exposure

Finely, all the normal risks of senior international travel.

So we worry about getting there, getting around, being safe, getting home...all while trying to have fun on $45,000, at risk (you never get it all back!). Payment/insurance time is coming in a couple months.

We really want to get back to Africa. Going to Madagascar is a key port, as is Cape Town.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by ranles
Is there a difference between exposure to new variants in a developing nation vs a developed nation? Or is it simply a new variant while traveling? Or introducing a local variant to a new area? CAL.20C (aka 20C/S:452R;/B1429) is one of the new variants which was first noted circulating in S. CA https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...ied-california

I see key ports/bucket list ports as especially tricky with cruises since they don't guarantee they'll be able to visit the port in non-COVID times. Weather is the most common disrupter and occasionally mechanical issues. I would personally be disappointed to pay so much to miss a bucket list destination when it can also be visited more reliably with less pre-planning for similar money via flight. Perhaps Madagascar needs a bit more advance planning and/or non-refundable deposits.

Yes, I know cruises are a different travel style and feel than a flight & lodge but I guess I'd be asking myself if I really wanted to visit the specific ports or want to be on the ship. The ship might be more leisurely or comfortable way to get there but it usually isn't the only way when you have a decent budget. Sometimes several ports on the itinerary appeal and being able to get to at least half of them would be acceptable.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
It looks like Costa will try to sail from Italy in March. I didn’t see any details, just a headline. I have no idea how this is possible.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BamaVol
It looks like Costa will try to sail from Italy in March. I didn’t see any details, just a headline. I have no idea how this is possible.
I can’t find it right this minute but as I recall these were “bubble” cruises that were limited to Italians only. Even then it was Italians from selected areas within Italy. I can’t remember the length or itineraries but it was seven days or less.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cru...-in-march.html
Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:12 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ranles
We are scheduled out at the end of Oct. 2021. SAN to the UAE Abu Dhabi flying. Then cruise to South Africa over 20 days. Several issues of concern:
1. Talk of current admin. banning some domestic flights.
2. Testing to get back into USA.
3. Americans flying into Abu Dhabi (no hotel, just flight and trip to ship...although the timing could be messy)
4. Testing necessary while in flight

That gets us to and on the ship. and perhaps home.
5. Port issues everywhere...testing, restrictions, etc. Ship docking. Passengers allowed off. Servicing and restocking of ship.

That's getting around.
6. Exposure to covid in countries that have not gotten "herd immunity" or even any immunity
8. Close quarters when using the lifeboats to get into port (tendering)

That's is some off ship exposure
9. Close dining, buffets, shows, etc. on ship exposure

Finely, all the normal risks of senior international travel.

So we worry about getting there, getting around, being safe, getting home...all while trying to have fun on $45,000, at risk (you never get it all back!). Payment/insurance time is coming in a couple months.

We really want to get back to Africa. Going to Madagascar is a key port, as is Cape Town.
I don't think you are making a good case for cruising in this environment.
Need, freecia and Randyk47 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I’m not convinced they have all the details ironed out. I wish them good luck. I think they will need it.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I’m not convinced they have all the details ironed out. I wish them good luck. I think they will need it.
We can require immunizations for everyone prior to boarding .....and

We can require testing (PCR or otherwise) prior to boarding and while on board as well (every day, 2 days ??)....and

We can do the social distancing and mask wearing while on board and in public spaces............and

We can have a fully equipped infirmary with physicians on board .......and yet

Until we know how foreign ports and countries are going to treat our cruise if and when someone tests positive (and doesn't necessarily even get sick ), cruises will remain a travel medium at great risk for having a vacation ruined by the appearance of Covid-19 on board. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.