Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore to allow 2 ships to pilot "cruises to nowhere"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Singapore to allow 2 ships to pilot "cruises to nowhere"

From November the Singapore government will allow Genting Cruise Lines' World Dream (November) and Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas (December) - to trial cruises to no where at 50% capacity for Singapore residents only.

I wonder if this is just a precursor to figuring out a) if cruises can operate safely and b) how they will in future allow people to fly and cruise.

Singapore to resume cruises to nowhere for residents from November

Last edited by SQTraveller; Oct 7, 2020 at 11:30 pm Reason: Added link
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
From November the Singapore government will allow Genting Cruise Lines' World Dream (November) and Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas (December) - to trial cruises to no where at 50% capacity for Singapore residents only.

I wonder if this is just a precursor to figuring out a) if cruises can operate safely and b) how they will in future allow people to fly and cruise.

Singapore to resume cruises to nowhere for residents from November
While cruises to “no where” hold no interest to us I do see these attempts as potential test beds for future cruises. After a bit of an initial hiccup Silversea seemingly has successfully conducted a number of limited bubble cruises out of Saudi Arabia. I assume there have been a series of lessons learned that they can use on future cruises but so far we’ve heard little of what works and what doesn’t. If there is a downside it’s that regardless of what might be considered a success Silversea, and pretty much the rest of the industry, continue to cancel cruises. Longer itineraries with multiple destinations involving several countries and jurisdictions is still a challenge.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Singapore is reporting no active cases of COVID. Cruises in other parts still have active cases.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ms europa has annual 1 day cruise with michelin chef festival, 2021 is 16th

NCL did 1 night cruises, and i'm pretty sure cunard did as well
(no idea how to search for past cruise itins)

and obviously there have always been transoceanic crossings, most nonstop

but perhaps the rule of 2 countries unless round trip will be suspended/ended

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 16, 2020 at 8:46 am
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ms europa has annual 1 day cruise with michelin chef festival, 2021 is 16th

NCL did 1 night cruises, and i'm pretty sure cunard did as well
(no idea how to search for past cruise itins)

and obviously there have always been transoceanic crossings, most nonstop

but perhaps the rule of 2 countries unless round trip will be suspended/ended
At this point there are no trans-Atlantic sailings available. The typical Europe to the US at the end of the Med and Northern Europe seasons have been either delayed or cancelled. There was even some talk, maybe speculation, that some ships would cross to the US empty in hopes of starting some kind of Caribbean season. At this point none have and Cunard has parked its fleet until pretty much next Spring.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my comment was in terms of cruise to nowhere, primarily that there were in the past quite a few 1 nights

the other thing that may pop up is more yachts taking bookings of cabins, whether ultra low end or ultra high end, although at the highest end there is likely more demand then there is supply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.