Community
Wiki Posts
Search

snorkeling cruise from Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico port

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Question snorkeling cruise from Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico port

Is there a 3-5 days cruise that you would recommend that has a lot of great snorkeling opportunities? I prefer to snorkel (and other water activities) during excursion instead of shopping.

I am looking for a cruise that departs from from a southern US port that would give me the chance to snorkel a great deal.

Is there a cruise that you would recommend?

thanks
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by iowa guy
Is there a 3-5 days cruise that you would recommend that has a lot of great snorkeling opportunities? I prefer to snorkel (and other water activities) during excursion instead of shopping.

I am looking for a cruise that departs from from a southern US port that would give me the chance to snorkel a great deal.

thanks
Problem is the shorter 3-5 day cruises in the Caribbean don’t penetrate deep enough into Caribbean for the better snorkeling islands. You really need to think about 7-10 day cruises.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta

thanks
where do you want to snorkle? You can just stay in Key West and do day trips in the Keys for snorkeling.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For short cruises, look to ones that go to Cozumel over ones that go to Nassau. Still as said above the longer cruises will allow you to get to better islands for snorkeling.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoreMilesPlease
where do you want to snorkle? You can just stay in Key West and do day trips in the Keys for snorkeling.
is the water in the Keys warm enough for us "fair water" snorkelers in mid-March?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
is the water in the Keys warm enough for us "fair water" snorkelers in mid-March?
https://www.currentresults.com/Ocean...-in-spring.php

Husband did quite a bit of snorkeling when we did a BVI sailing trip a few years back and has said he doesn't want to snorkel on cruise trips - if he wants to snorkel, would prefer a destination based trip.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
https://www.currentresults.com/Ocean...emperature.php
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Trouble is, a lot of places where big cruise ships moor or dock may not be amenable to swimming or snorkelling.

You could try a cruise line where this is a featured activity (the one I have in mind is very unlikely to depart and/or arrive from the U.S. except for a select few cruises). Last cruise I was on, they actually had enough masks, snorkels and flippers for everyone who wanted to borrow a set. Missed the first place (we'd been there pre-cruise, found the water mucky due to river outflow, and presence of moored sail bots nd all their discharge). Could snorkel just from the pier where the cruise ship moored next, but the rest of the places were... shark infested and surf was rather rough..
Old Feb 19, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I mean, we were on a Caribbean cruise over the holidays (not my pick, I don't like sun & sand ) and we rented a golf cart for the day in Bonaire so we could drive around (I wanted to go to the flamingo preserves). We saw TONS of people snorkeling & diving right off the beaches - Bonaire has been a protected marine habitat since the 70s - my husband definitely would love to go back there and snorkel or dive. But you can't reach it from the US on a 3-5 day cruise.

We *did* see people snorkeling while in port. I personally wouldn't do it (too much traffic and I'm a scaredy cat!) nor would I ever think a mainstream cruise would actually have equipment on board - most people bring their own (I saw them getting on/off the ship every day) or rent locally with a group who'll drive them to a decent spot....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.