Trans-Atlantic cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trans-Atlantic cruise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I've done several transatlantic trips. Loved each one of them. The ships definitely put on more activities when there are lots of "at sea" days. Topics vary, but one of my favorites was a series by a university professor on "plate tectonics". The 1-hour sessions were the highlights of my day.

There usually is a nice little library on board.

There usually is a fairly well equipped gym for a daily work-out.

I knit, read, and sometimes just climb as high on the ship as I can and just watch the ocean. Sometimes I just watch and study some aspect of the ship.

Sometimes one manages to meet very interesting people.

Usually there is a daily little newspaper listing all the events and activities for the day. It was not unusual to have several choices for the same time, and have to make a tough decision.

It really is a matter of what kind of person you are. I've been told I"m "easily amused". Happy to just quietly spend time on my own. Happy to explore something new.

You are wise though to carefully consider the choice, as once the ship pulls away from land there isn't any practical way to change your mind.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by RetiredATLATC
Ok, this sounds amazing!
Here is some additional discussion of non-traditional cruising, which includes freighters.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/foru...cruise-travel/

There are some fun reviews of Aranui.

Enjoy!

GC
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Efrem
I wouldn't call a trans-Atlantic crossing a cruise, though personal definitions may vary and cruise lines have a vested interest in labeling it as one. I'd call it a crossing.
Exactly. And mostly a different crowd of people. OP: All transatlantic crossings are sold primarily as one-ways.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
crossing the pond on the queen is one of life's great experiences
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:09 pm

Resurrecting this thread as I am researching maybe taking the Queen Mary 2 NYC-Southampton. Any advice on whether to bother with a travel agency or Amex/Chase etc? Or just book straight with Cunard? For flights, I would normally book direct, but didn't know if there was some other benefit booking via a 3rd party.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by xooz
Resurrecting this thread as I am researching maybe taking the Queen Mary 2 NYC-Southampton. Any advice on whether to bother with a travel agency or Amex/Chase etc? Or just book straight with Cunard? For flights, I would normally book direct, but didn't know if there was some other benefit booking via a 3rd party.
Most TAs give discounted fares and/or onboard credit. I never book directly with the cruise lines.
gretchendz, Randyk47 and 747FC like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Agree

Lovely choice, I love sailing TA on the QM2. In fact we have a princess grill suite booked in October for HAM to NYC.
It can often be less expensive than flying Business or First with a whole week entertainment and food. and accommodation.

I agree with sfvoyage

Find the sailing and cabin you want. Find a TA who will book at that price and offer you something extra (usually some on board credit unless you express a wish for something else). Most TAs will.

As to flights, I suggest finding the flights you want independently, but before you book, you can check against the Cunard flight program. Not always, but often you can book it through Cunard for the same price or less.
https://www.cunard.com/en-us/the-cun...rd-completeair
Old Jun 12, 2022, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
For Cunard cruises, I recommend https://www.cruisecompete.com/.

The only problem with the Queen Mary 2 is that it sails to New York. I wish they used a more friendly port.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Agree but

Originally Posted by mahasamatman

The only problem with the Queen Mary 2 is that it sails to New York. I wish they used a more friendly port.
I do love sailing in past the Statue of Liberty and under the bridge!
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Cunard Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman

Brooklyn to be precise
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tatia
Brooklyn to be precise
Last time I looked, Brooklyn was part of New York City.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Huge difference between Brooklyn and NYC......which I think of as Manhattan for purposes of this thread title.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by hedoman
Huge difference between Brooklyn and NYC.
Not as far as the attitude of the people.

I think of as Manhattan for purposes of this thread title.
Where is New York mentioned in the thread title? Transatlantics can go to/from Florida, the Bahamas, Boston, Québec, etc, all of which are preferable to New York in my mind.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
My error.......should have typed forum title. To be more specific as the topic thread is transatlantic, I think of two different ports in NYC. Very different.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:04 am

My error.......should have typed forum title.
The forum title also does not mention New York in any way.

I think of two different ports in NYC.
Some would say there are three.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.