Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Oceania Cruise Specialty Restaurants: What time do they open for dinner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oceania Cruise Specialty Restaurants: What time do they open for dinner?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by david55
Thanks GeezerCouple. Great Post.
GeezerCouple makes some excellent points and their post also speaks to the attraction of cruising as a vacation option. There is indeed a great deal of variety in the industry from party ships to the very subdued quiet country club like cruise lines. This is also true for cruisers looking for a cruise line that caters more for a full range of family oriented multiple entertainment and dining venues and those cruisers who would prefer to cruise on ships with fewer or no children. Point is there is actually a lot of variety and it’s a matter of finding that cruise line that best fits your lifestyle.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Randyk47

GeezerCouple makes some excellent points and their post also speaks to the attraction of cruising as a vacation option. There is indeed a great deal of variety in the industry from party ships to the very subdued quiet country club like cruise lines. This is also true for cruisers looking for a cruise line that caters more for a full range of family oriented multiple entertainment and dining venues and those cruisers who would prefer to cruise on ships with fewer or no children. Point is there is actually a lot of variety and it’s a matter of finding that cruise line that best fits your lifestyle.
I wish it was somehow easier for "cruiser newbies" to learn (BEFORE their cruise or reservations) about the cruiseline differences.

It's not too uncommon to read on CruiseCritic a question that involves a family "trying" a cruise (or for financial reasons) planning a short Miami-Bahamas cruise, without realizing it is likely to be a "booze cruise" (even if the "free beverages" is clearly noted).
Or those who book Oceania, and report dissatisfaction because it was "too quiet" late in the evening, and they were clearly expecting "party time!!"
Then they decide they hate cruising, when the problem may well have been only a mis-match of cruiseline for their interests, etc.

And this is for those who actually found and posted on CruiseCritic, where most cruisers *never* post (and most probably also don't read).

GC
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
I wish it was somehow easier for "cruiser newbies" to learn (BEFORE their cruise or reservations) about the cruiseline differences.

It's not too uncommon to read on CruiseCritic a question that involves a family "trying" a cruise (or for financial reasons) planning a short Miami-Bahamas cruise, without realizing it is likely to be a "booze cruise" (even if the "free beverages" is clearly noted).
Or those who book Oceania, and report dissatisfaction because it was "too quiet" late in the evening, and they were clearly expecting "party time!!"
Then they decide they hate cruising, when the problem may well have been only a mis-match of cruiseline for their interests, etc.

And this is for those who actually found and posted on CruiseCritic, where most cruisers *never* post (and most probably also don't read).

GC
Spot on. While cruising is not for everyone I can’t count the number of people I know or have seen posts from on Cruise Critic who picked the wrong line for their initial and many times only and last cruise. I got very lucky 25 years ago to go on a Carnival 4-day cruise out of Florida to the Bahamas as kind of a “try it you’ll like it” cruise. Was rational enough to realize that even in my mid-40s I wasn’t up to a party hardy cruise after that experience but still liked cruising. We had a good cruise only travel agency in Northern Virginia back then. One of their agents sat down with us and discussed what we liked and didn’t like. From that she recommended Holland America as best fitting our preferences. That was the beginning of 12+ years of cruising with Holland America until our preferences shifted a bit and Holland America drifted away from the product we once knew and loved.

Today, actually seven years ago, we tried Silversea and found that to better suit our likes and dislikes. We’ve cruised 100 days with them and have another 11-day cruise booked with them this coming January. I don’t mean this as an all out ringing endorsement of Silversea but it works for us. Truth is we’d love to try Seabourn or maybe one or two of the other luxury lines but just haven’t found the right itinerary at the right time and right cost so far.

I should add we we no longer use a brick and mortar travel agency or agent. With somewhere around 400+ cruise days we have a pretty good idea of when and where we want to go. We’ve tried a number of cabin categories on a number of ships from the highest suite to a mid range verandah so we know our basic cabin preferences and where those are located on a ship. We are also, thanks to business and vacation travel, generally pretty experienced travelers so don’t look for a lot of handholding from an agent. Today we research, plan, and pick our own cruises and book with an agency that gives us the biggest discount and incentives package. This is not for everybody. Works for us but I would not recommend that to an unexperienced cruiser.
Hoyaheel and 747FC like this.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 28, 2019 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Believe it or not I think we might pass on the cruise...we both eat quite early to combat indigestion at night and a 6:30 reservation would be too late for us to dine. Seems a shame to go on a cruise and not take advantage of the specialty restaurants.
This would make dinner while away from home very difficult in many places. For instance, in Paris the real restaurants don't open for dinner that early, so you'd be stuck with fast food, cafes, or hotel all day dining "restaurants." Italy is similar, although people tend to ear somewhat earlier in Germany and Scandinavia. In parts of Spain, dinner hour is around 10 pm. Even in the USA, most restaurants, especially fine dining, open for dinner at 6, and the same seems to be true in much of Asia. Latin America varies, but IME I wouldn't expect to be able to get a dinner reservation before 7.
gretchendz and Randyk47 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Randyk47

Spot on. While cruising is not for everyone I can’t count the number of people I know or have seen posts from on Cruise Critic who picked the wrong line for their initial and many times only and last cruise. I got very lucky 25 years ago to go on a Carnival 4-day cruise out of Florida to the Bahamas as kind of a “try it you’ll like it” cruise. Was rational enough to realize that even in my mid-40s I wasn’t up to a party hardy cruise after that experience but still liked cruising. We had a good cruise only travel agency in Northern Virginia back then. One of their agents sat down with us and discussed what we liked and didn’t like. From that she recommended Holland America as best fitting our preferences. That was the beginning of 12+ years of cruising with Holland America until our preferences shifted a bit and Holland America drifted away from the product we once knew and loved.

Today, actually seven years ago, we tried Silversea and found that to better suit our likes and dislikes. We’ve cruised 100 days with them and have another 11-day cruise booked with them this coming January. I don’t mean this as an all out ringing endorsement of Silversea but it works for us. Truth is we’d love to try Seabourn or maybe one or two of the other luxury lines but just haven’t found the right itinerary at the right time and right cost so far.

I should add we we no longer use a brick and mortar travel agency or agent. With somewhere around 400+ cruise days we have a pretty good idea of when and where we want to go. We’ve tried a number of cabin categories on a number of ships from the highest suite to a mid range verandah so we know our basic cabin preferences and where those are located on a ship. We are also, thanks to business and vacation travel, generally pretty experienced travelers so don’t look for a lot of handholding from an agent. Today we research, plan, and pick our own cruises and book with an agency that gives us the biggest discount and incentives package. This is not for everybody. Works for us but I would not recommend that to an unexperienced cruiser.
We have learned far more "about cruising" from CruiseCritic than from any travel agent.

My first two cruises were back in '74 and '75, when my parents took 3 generations on one of those short Miami-Bahamas cruises. Maybe they weren't "booze cruises" back then, or perhaps because we spent time together as a family (that was the purpose of our cruises), we didn't notice.
But I *LOVED* it.
Alas, on the second, one of my children developed SEVERE seasickness (that continued on as motion sickness , although no idea of causality/etc.), so that was the end of cruising for quite a long time.
Then DH fought the idea like crazy, so I went on a cruise without him. I *hated* that, so again... no cruising for a while.

And then I got him to go on a cruise "to bond with family" (ha! we could have done that at land resort ) and by Day 2, he was totally hooked. As soon as we got home, we booked the next one...

Then "our" Amex Plat Trav rep suggested Oceania "for the food", which certainly caught our attention. But she screwed up one too many hotel reservations...
And by then, I had become well acquainted with CruiseCritic, so that was the end of Amex Trav...

I also enjoy doing travel-related research, so this works out well, too, with the help of CC members.

GC
Hoyaheel and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 10:53 am

Then "our" Amex Plat Trav rep suggested Oceania "for the food", which certainly caught our attention. But she screwed up one too many hotel reservations...
And by then, I had become well acquainted with CruiseCritic, so that was the end of Amex Trav...

I also enjoy doing travel-related research, so this works out well, too, with the help of CC members.

GC
You bring up a good point. Not all travel agencies/agents are created equally. If a cruiser, especially a new cruiser, picks the wrong agency or agent that can be a big potential disaster. I don’t know of any surefire 100% way for a newbie cruiser way to find a good agent. Even if referred to an agent by a trusted friend who happens to be an experienced cruiser that doesn’t guarantee they’ll be right for the newbie cruiser. My sense is that brick and mortar cruise only agencies are few and far between. Most agencies, at least the ones around here, are generalists that book everything under the sun from airlines to hotels to resorts to cruises and probably aren’t expert in any of them. Of course it doesn’t help that even some cruise line in-house cruise consultants aren’t all that expert and they’re only working one cruise line. You get a good one and you’re good to go but a bad one can ruin a cruise.

I too endorse Cruise Critic. While certainly not perfect it’s about the best overall source cruise and cruise related travel on the Internet. I’ve been using CC since it’s initial birth as a travel section on AOL in the early 90’s and became a regular there in 2004. I do take some of what I read there with a grain of salt but you learn. At the same time I have made friends with some members to the point of even arranging cruises so we could cruise with them.

gretchendz and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jul 28, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I 've spent the last few days deep in research for our first cruise..... we know it will be Alaska because of proximity to where we live and not having to do too much extra travel to get to the ship. I had focused on Oceania....but then found a 10 day cruise on Regent Explorer for about $500 more then we were going to spend " all-in" with Oceania. Plus the suite and balcony are considerably bigger on Regent......My dilemma... is when I do a practice booking the cabin locations suck that they offer us. Does calling directly or working through a good agent get us better choice of cabins? The cruise is in 2021...so I doubt that the only cabins left are the handful they are offering us on Deck 6 underneath the fitness center.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:35 pm

I 've spent the last few days deep in research for our first cruise..... we know it will be Alaska because of proximity to where we live and not having to do too much extra travel to get to the ship. I had focused on Oceania....but then found a 10 day cruise on Regent Explorer for about $500 more then we were going to spend " all-in" with Oceania. Plus the suite and balcony are considerably bigger on Regent......My dilemma... is when I do a practice booking the cabin locations suck that they offer us. Does calling directly or working through a good agent get us better choice of cabins? The cruise is in 2021...so I doubt that the only cabins left are the handful they are offering us on Deck 6 underneath the fitness center.
Cruise lines have the tendency only to show a small portion of the available inventory. Personally I think it’s a marketing ploy to make you think you’d better book soon because there aren't many cabins left. Since you’re talking a 2021 cruise the chance that there are at least a few if not many more unbooked cabins is high.

Personally I’m not a fan of dealing directly with the cruise line. Yes the service can be very good if you get a good consultant and that’s a plus to many cruisers. I just feel they are working for the cruise line whereas my TA works for me. I’m also more into saving money and I deal with a TA that routinely gives 10-12% cash discounts on my cruises. She has access to all the lines, especially lines like Regent, and can easily check with the cruise lines for cabins. I know of at least three of us here who use the same agent and agency.
gretchendz likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:57 pm

David - Sent you some information. No problem asking questions here or privately. We enjoy cruising and like to share our experiences and what little knowledge we have about cruising in general. Being a fellow Pacific Northwester helps even more.
gretchendz and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We almost booked an Oceania cruise last season to Alaska - found a Seabourn cruise only a few hundred more and booked that instead - and LOVED it. Will be trying Oceania in December - my in-laws love it and want us to cruise with them, so we will. But we *are* drinkers and if I'm paying that much money, I want my alcohol included. We love small ships so Seabourn is perfect for us (we were on a smaller ship, Sojourn). My MIL hates sea days and always needs to be entertained - pretty sure that's why she prefers the larger Oceania ships (she has cruised their R class and didn't like, loves the O class, so....)

I'm an introvert and we don't cruise a ton - also prefer independent travel - tend to use cruising as a way to explore a new area and see where we might want to go back and explore more in depth. My husband is more of an extrovert - so we alternate doing dinner alone vs going for a large table so he can talk to new people. It works for us. Also nice in cruising is that I can sit on the balcony and read with a glass of wine (and my binoculars, just in case!) and husband can go explore the ship, meet people etc.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
We almost booked an Oceania cruise last season to Alaska - found a Seabourn cruise only a few hundred more and booked that instead - and LOVED it. Will be trying Oceania in December - my in-laws love it and want us to cruise with them, so we will. But we *are* drinkers and if I'm paying that much money, I want my alcohol included. We love small ships so Seabourn is perfect for us (we were on a smaller ship, Sojourn). My MIL hates sea days and always needs to be entertained - pretty sure that's why she prefers the larger Oceania ships (she has cruised their R class and didn't like, loves the O class, so....)

I'm an introvert and we don't cruise a ton - also prefer independent travel - tend to use cruising as a way to explore a new area and see where we might want to go back and explore more in depth. My husband is more of an extrovert - so we alternate doing dinner alone vs going for a large table so he can talk to new people. It works for us. Also nice in cruising is that I can sit on the balcony and read with a glass of wine (and my binoculars, just in case!) and husband can go explore the ship, meet people etc.
I assume you know that on Oceania you can select a "beverage package" so that drinks *are* included?
There is one that offers wine (or liquor, not sure) at meal times only, and I'm pretty sure that the upgraded package allows "drinks anytime". What some of those who prefer the "luxury lines" (on that scale, Oceania is often considered "premium") object to is the need to "sign" a tab, even if no additional charge ls later added.

We prefer "fine wine", which is never "included", so there's no beverage package that works for us. Ditto, the "all inclusive" luxury lines thus price their cruises such that both drinks and excursions are "included" don't work as we prefer private excursions, too.
That makes the "luxury lines" not such a good $ arrangement for us. We'd still have to pay for the fine wines (or buy them elsewhere and bring them aboard) and also pay for our own excursions (with or without other cruise companions).
Even if the drinks and excursions are "included", we are still paying for them in the total fare price, obviously.

We're still tempted to try one of the "luxury" lines, but it hasn't yet seemed to make sense money-wise.
Also, some of theme seem to have just a bit more formality than we prefer at this stage, although that's not a deal-breaker.
We'll see... It will probably come down to itineraries.

GC
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I assume you know that on Oceania you can select a "beverage package" so that drinks *are* included?
Of course, and we have purchased it. For the December Oceania cruise, our per diem is over $400, more with the beverage package, and I just received an offer for a very similar Seabourn itinerary (2 days shorter) with a per diem of $330 or so. I'm unhappy ;-)

Honestly, given "luxury" line per diems, I find Oceania's per diem rates pretty high in comparison. Which is why we haven't booked them until this year.

I'm very glad there are many options for cruising, as we all have different priorities. It does make it challenging for those new to cruising to sort through, though, and I feel for the people who don't enjoy doing the research as much as I do.....

I don't like included excursions, which is why I think Regent and Viking are priced too high. Again, options & priorities :-) I do a spreadsheet so I can compare apples to apples as best I can and figure out the overall per diems....
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel

Sounds a lot like us. By nature I’m the extrovert and wife more the introvert. She’s gotten kind of use to my wanting to be around people so she’s not as withdrawn as when we first got married. We kind of balance being just the two of us and also not minding if we get asked if we want a larger table at dinner. We also are drinkers though certainly not to excess or anything approaching being drunk. We have gotten very used to not have to pull out our room card for every beer, glass of wine, cocktail, soda, or bottle of water. We’re willing to pay a bit more not to be hassled. We’ve also found if we shop carefully we can get an all-inclusive luxury cruise for about the same cost or maybe slightly more than a pay-as-you-go nickel and dime you to death cruise.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I ran the idea (pros/cons) of taking a cruise to my dear friend today. She knows us well.

At the end of the conversation she said " You sound a little Woody Allen-esque. You haven't given me one compelling reason to take a cruise."

Our cons far outweigh the pros.

Pros:
Never cruised before and like to try it. Cruise Curious.

Cons:
Always Independent Travelers and don't socialize except for a dozen or so friends.
Picked Alaska because it is closest to our home port Seattle meaning less travel to the ship...but we really have no desire to go to Alaska.
Prone to seasickness.
We eat breakfast and late lunch...rarely dinner.... so we would miss out on one of the best meals of the day and all the specialty restaurants which open too late for us.
While we travel in an upscale(ish) manner... shelling out this kind of money is way more than we have ever spent for a 10 day vacation.
I haven't been on a bus in years.
I like being first in line.... although on Regent or Oceania I don't think that will be a problem.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Pros:
Never cruised before and like to try it. Cruise Curious.
Looks like an overwhelming reason to book!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.