Wiki Posts
Search

Watch those itineraries

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Watch those itineraries

I was looking at a cruise where the map showed a day in a port, and the itinerary showed an At-Sea day. When I checked with my travel agent, she told me the itinerary rules. The cruise lines sometimes use the same maps from cruise to cruise, even when there are changes in the stops.

Since this was a port I particularly wanted to see, that cruise is off my list now.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by Romelle
I was looking at a cruise where the map showed a day in a port, and the itinerary showed an At-Sea day. When I checked with my travel agent, she told me the itinerary rules. The cruise lines sometimes use the same maps from cruise to cruise, even when there are changes in the stops.

Since this was a port I particularly wanted to see, that cruise is off my list now.
Don't forget, the ship can change the itinerary in advance or on short notice, depending upon weather or "whatever".
So if a port is *really* important, consider a land trip.
Or be prepared to visit again later...

GC
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
...Or be prepared to visit again later...

GC
One of my favorite theories - on a trip always leave something undone at a great place ... a reason to go back.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Don't forget, the ship can change the itinerary in advance or on short notice, depending upon weather or "whatever".
"Weather", yup... NYC Canada did NYC Bermuda (yes people complained they didn't have warm weather clothes), NYC Bermuda and did NYC-Boston Hurricane Arthur/Sandy.
"Whatever" had ship disabled at Punta Cana did a day at sea to name a few. Big lines a customer service to complain but read your cruise contract, they can just change it to 7 days at sea no port of calls or whatever.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
they can just change it to 7 days at sea no port of calls or whatever.
And even worse, they don't have to refund the port fees!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And even worse, they don't have to refund the port fees!
I think some (many?) cruise lines do refund port fees if they skip a port/ports.

GC
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:19 am

I have gotten back port fees and more importantly on our reroute from Canada to Bermuda they didn't charge us additional even though Bermuda's fees are significantly higher than Halifax and Saint John.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
I know in the past when a port was missed, Royal Caribbean would issue an refundable onboard credit of the port charges. When we missed the ports on Princess, they issued a refund of the port charges. In every situation I got some type of refund if the ports were different than what I actually book. There been a couple times when the trip was change to add ports like my upcoming cruise on Symphony of the Seas but they didn't change the fare or port charges. They most likely won't ask for more money but will refund if you overpay in port charges / taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.