Search

Phone use on the Mississippi

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Phone use on the Mississippi

Taking a 21 day NO to Minn cruise. Have T-Mobile. What use availability can I expect?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
If you follow the course of the Mississippi on T-Mobile's coverage map, that should give you an idea.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ranles
Taking a 21 day NO to Minn cruise. Have T-Mobile. What use availability can I expect?
Wherevere T-Mobile has cell reception, you will have access.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 747FC
Wherevere T-Mobile has cell reception, you will have access.
Exactly. This is not like an ocean cruise where you are too far away from the land based cell towersto get service.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
If you follow the course of the Mississippi on T-Mobile's coverage map, that should give you an idea.
I took a look at the t-mobile coverage map (this is for 4G/:LTE:

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

You will see that most of the map is red, but there are some areas that look like coverage will be spotty. I don't see many areas where you'd be out of coverage for any length of time. I don't know, but roaming my cover you for some of them. I wouldn't worry about this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If the boat has wifi, then you should be able to utilize T-Mobile's wifi calling for when you're in low-reception areas.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If the boat has wifi, then you should be able to utilize T-Mobile's wifi calling for when you're in low-reception areas.
As long as you're willing to pony up the money for what is very often high priced service with bad connectivity and speed.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: USair BA DL AA
You will have good coverage near bigger towns and in most of the South where the land is flat. The worst place along this route that I have experienced is North of St. Louis where the hills on each side are high and towers are historically weak. Cell service is basically line of sight. Just my opinion on this area. Verizon would be better coverage but....you have what you have.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I don’t know about how Mississippi riverboats work their wi-fi but most cruise ships block wi-fi calling apps. I guess they do that as part of the contract with their cell phone service provider so if you need to make a call while at sea you’re forced to use their provider and pay their high rates. I know our WhatsApp was blocked. I assume riverboats don’t generally bother to even have cell phone service providers as they are usually within range of existing land based service so they may not block wi-fi calling.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
River cruises in Europe provide free wifi to guests; it's a very different model from ocean cruising. Don't know about MS cruises - did the cruiseline website mention? It's been a few years since my in-laws did their MS river cruise and I don't remember what their internet experience was.....
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by milepig
I took a look at the t-mobile coverage map (this is for 4G/:LTE:

https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/coverage-map

You will see that most of the map is red, but there are some areas that look like coverage will be spotty. I don't see many areas where you'd be out of coverage for any length of time. I don't know, but roaming my cover you for some of them. I wouldn't worry about this.
True, but even in places where the coverage is spotty, it still might be possible to make/receive phone calls -- either with T-Mobile (if less than 4G/LTE coverage, but still adequate), OR with another carrier (roaming charges would probably apply), OR with wi-fi (again, charges might apply).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not sure what cruiseline OP is using, but this one offers complimentary wifi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.