Where to book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to book?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
While we've never been on Seabourn I would take the caviar and champagne being served in the water with a bit of the grain of salt. I'm not saying it hasn't or doesn't happen but photos like that are typically PR or advertising setups and not the norm. We cruise almost exclusively with Silversea which is a fairly similar product and experience to Seabourn. If you look at their ads or visit their website you see some of the same kind of thing like a line of butlers standing on the dock greeting passengers or white gloved service of coffee on your verandah. Again, not to say that doesn't or can't happen but it's mostly hype.

The thing to remember is Seabourn, Silversea, or any the other upscale cruise lines are not the same product as a mass market line like Carnival, RCCL, etc. They're all cruises but there is generally a very distinct difference in the level service, food, and ambience between the mass market and all inclusive luxury lines. I would hesitate to call the difference over the top or pretentious.
Seabourn staff serving caviar and champagne in the surf is not hype. Our first cruise was with Seabourn in the Caribbean and yes, "caviar in the surf" was offered. "Pretentious"? No, it was simply something they offered. Our second cruise was with Seabourn as well, but in the Baltic and yes, caviar was served again, but poolside. It was a one time special occasion offered on each cruise, but I suppose you could ask for caviar anytime.
We've been on Silversea the past three times and again, no hype. "Butlers" attend to each suite - don't recall white gloves all of the time, but do recall seeing them.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Sunny 1
Seabourn staff serving caviar and champagne in the surf is not hype. Our first cruise was with Seabourn in the Caribbean and yes, "caviar in the surf" was offered. "Pretentious"? No, it was simply something they offered. Our second cruise was with Seabourn as well, but in the Baltic and yes, caviar was served again, but poolside. It was a one time special occasion offered on each cruise, but I suppose you could ask for caviar anytime.
We've been on Silversea the past three times and again, no hype. "Butlers" attend to each suite - don't recall white gloves all of the time, but do recall seeing them.
You’re right and what I was trying to say, maybe unsuccessfully, that it can look a bit over the top to somebody who is just seeing the ads and has not actually been on a cruise with Seabourn or Silversea. Indeed Silversea has butler service for every cabin on every cruise and I didn’t mean to imply they don’t. What I was saying is at least one of Silversea’s ads has a line up of white gloved butlers greeting you dockside as you board. OK that happens but in 72 days on Silversea in the last four years it’s happened once. Personally we’ve had six diffferent butlers and without exception they’ve been excellent. They don’t hover though and I think adjust to their passengers and provide assistance and service they sense the passengers want or need. Within reason they’ll do as much or as little as a passenger asks or expects. It’s also not a one cabin one butler relationship. While I’m not sure of the exact number I’d say the ratio of cabins per butler is around 10 to 1.

Last edited by Randyk47; Sep 29, 2017 at 5:29 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:51 pm

You’re right and what I was trying to say, maybe unsuccessfully, that it can look a bit over the top to somebody who is just seeing the ads and has not actually been on a cruise with Seabourn or Silversea. Indeed Silversea has butler service for every cabin on every cruise and I didn’t mean to imply they don’t. What I was saying is at least one of Silversea’s ads has a line up of white gloved butlers greeting you dockside as you board. OK that happens but in 72 days on Silversea in the last four years it’s happened once. Personally we’ve had six diffferent butlers and without exception they’ve been excellent. They don’t hover though and I think adjust to their passengers and provide assistance and service they sense the passengers want or need. Within reason they’ll do as much or as little as a passenger asks or expects. It’s also not a one cabin one butler relationship. While I’m not sure of the exact number I’d say the ratio of cabins per butler is around 10 to 1.
You're exactly right. I saw (from our balcony) aboard Silversea the white gloved butlers greeting those who went to the evening convert at Ephesus a few weeks ago. Also, I think you're spot on describing the suite "butler". It's rare they just come by with snacks (for example), but when called, they answer. On our first Silversea cruise, we did have a wonderful butler who came by upon leaving port in some rocky seas asking if we would like some tea. "Oh yes, please." It was perfect timing and was the perfect elixer.

Back to the OP's question, we have always (except our very first sailing) booked with our travel agent who was Virtuoso related and is now Signature. She has always gotten us some OBCs. I'm still trying to figure out how to maximize our OBC credits.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Sunny 1
You're exactly right. I saw (from our balcony) aboard Silversea the white gloved butlers greeting those who went to the evening convert at Ephesus a few weeks ago. Also, I think you're spot on describing the suite "butler". It's rare they just come by with snacks (for example), but when called, they answer. On our first Silversea cruise, we did have a wonderful butler who came by upon leaving port in some rocky seas asking if we would like some tea. "Oh yes, please." It was perfect timing and was the perfect elixer.

Back to the OP's question, we have always (except our very first sailing) booked with our travel agent who was Virtuoso related and is now Signature. She has always gotten us some OBCs. I'm still trying to figure out how to maximize our OBC credits.
Funny you should mention Ephesus, well actually the port at Kusadasi, because that’s the one and only port I’ve seen the butlers line up at the gangway with a “Welcome Back” banner.

As for travel agents we’ve used a few over the 24 years we’ve been cruising. We started with a brick and mortar agent in a large cruise-only store in Tyson’s Corner in Northern Virginia. In 2004 we booked a cruise through an Internet based agency and have tried two or three others since then. Four years ago we were referred to an agency that still does cash rebates in the form of a check. They’ve been super and often not only rebate 10-12% but often throw in a $200-$300 OBC.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:11 am

We have cruised on Carnival, Disney, NCL, RCI & Holland. Cyber Monday can be a good time to book with a Cashback portal and maybe Expedia if you find the cabin you want. I try to watch the prices to see if it goes down before the final payment to see if they would adjust it, but it doesn't seem to go down ever. I am still learning how to book cruises. As a smoker, I always search to find the smoking areas to pick my cabin close by but the information is spotty on the internet.

We have tried Cruise Compete and tried 2 agencies and now I just booked another one with Expedia and a portal at 12%. It will be easy to make cruise payments with Expedia, but I will have to call the agencies to make payments with them, so I think I like Expedia better. We hope to try each line at some point.

We have been on 10 cruises and plan to do more because they are entertaining and relaxing. Last 10 years we have been all over the US and Europe in and out of hotels which has been amazing, but we are excited to have everything in one big ship. Our Mediterranean & Baltic Sea cruises on NCL were great but the ships were really big. I like all the tips I have been reading. Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:32 am

Four years ago we were referred to an agency that still does cash rebates in the form of a check. They’ve been super and often not only rebate 10-12% but often throw in a $200-$300 OBC.

Is this an internet only agency also?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by missymssy
Is this an internet only agency also?
Kind of. They have an office in Albuquerque, NM but unless you just happen to live there I guess that makes them an Internet agency. They are reachable by phone or email and I’ve never had an issue dealing with them. Personally I don’t know of any discounting agency that has both a large multi-office present (i.e., in several states or cities) and also has a large Internet presence. Part of the business model for Internet based agencies is not to invest a lot of money in brick-and-mortar stores which drives up the overhead and impacts them being able to rebate a part of their commission. While there may be a discounter who has offices where you can go and visit face to face there’s not one in San Antonio and I’m not aware of any in other states that are used by anybody I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.