Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

First Timer Cruisers Advice:Just how much will this trip cost really cost?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Timer Cruisers Advice:Just how much will this trip cost really cost?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:55 pm

Alaska cruises are scenic and absolutely addictive but you really should rethink a Seattle round trip. You will spend two days at sea and sail via the Pacific while only visiting 4 or 5 ports. Be sure to compare the time you will spend in each port if you are also comparing HAL ships or other lines. For many excursions you need 6 hours plus cushion times.
You mentioned sea sickness but have never cruised on an ocean going vessel before. There are remedies like Bonine that will have no side effects or the scopolomine patch that does have side effects but generally deal with a little mal de mer.
What others have not mentioned is timing. Early or late in the season it is possible to encounter fewer ships which is a real bonus. May and September are months to consider. Alaska is in the eco rain forest zone and it is best to prepare for cooler weather in those months but you can experience rain at any time.
I was thinking about excursions and for Alaska I'd average the cost to about $100 per. That would cover the low and high. Five ports = $500 per person.
Cruise Critic is a wonderful resource for all cruise lines. The Ports of Call boards will provide vetted information and opinion about Alaska. The Cruise Line boards will list the lines and ships. The most important board for assistance with planning is the Roll Call board. You find your cruise line, click on the specific ship and then find the date for your cruise.
Unless you can find a longer cruise, and there are some, I still recommend you sail from ports other than Seattle. I have sailed on HAL, and I have sailed in a suite or two and I would not book a suite for a week's Seattle round trip, but that's just me.
Consult a travel agent, preferably one you can sit down with to plan your FIRST cruise. A professional can decipher the variety of cabin options and decks and so much more.
I hope you do find a cruise that works. Enjoy your first cruise to Alaska.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd rethink booking a really expensive suite, as it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Having a nice balcony room is probably worth it so you have your own private spot to watch the sights, and I'd bet it would be significantly less expensive.

You've always struck me as a fairly gregarious person, and I'll bet that you meet a lot of interesting folks you'll spend time with in the public areas on the boat. Take along some good books and just sit in the observation areas and watch the scenery go by.

Regarding the "excursions," you don't have to pay those huge cruise boat prices to see interesting things. A lot of the ports you can just walk around and explore town, take public buses to interesting spots, or even rent a car, as I did in Juneau.

Have fun! I think you'll enjoy it.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:01 am

If you are doing any type of suite, especially the Neptune, I strongly suggest putting your cruise up for bids at www.cruisecompete.com
You can usually save some serious money and get some extra benefits.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Keep to yourself that this is your first cruise. Regardless of your previous travel experiences, the "cruise community" rates one's social standing on how many times you've cruised. Also, never refer to "the boat" otherwise you risk being publicly dressed down by some pretentious twit who demands that it be referred to as a "ship."
I think that's mostly an online thing. Unless it has changed a lot since we were new to cruising, in real life, face to face with people, that doesn't happen much.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Regarding the "excursions," you don't have to pay those huge cruise boat prices to see interesting things. A lot of the ports you can just walk around and explore town, take public buses to interesting spots, or even rent a car, as I did in Juneau.
I suppose it really comes down to what you plan to do, and that comes down to why choose to go all the way to Alaska? For the OP, it's a natural, given that he lives in the northwest. However, living within driving distance of the Floridian ports, going to Alaska is about going to Alaska, and probably just once. I've tested each of the excursions we've been considering to see if it would be worth going all that way to do something else, and to see if there is a way to do those things for substantially less money. I haven't been successful on either account.

One of the things I've noticed about Alaska is that the difference in price between private excursions and cruise line excursions is getting smaller. It almost seems to me that the cruise line must be finding the best vendors and bullying them into not underselling the cruise line. One of the excursions we looked at even mentions that it is best to book through the cruise line.

I do agree, though, that if your aim is to, "just walk around and explore town," that you're probably better off doing that without an excursion.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

[QUOTE=Doc Savage;28586344

You've always struck me as a fairly gregarious person, and I'll bet that you meet a lot of interesting folks you'll spend time with in the public areas on the boat. Take along some good books and just sit in the observation areas and watch the scenery go by.
Have fun! I think you'll enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Actually I am not gregarious. Quite the opposite by choice.

I am a great schmoozer when I need to be, but our favorite times are just my husband and me sitting in our backyard garden next to each other in chaise lounges w/ the two chihuahuas reading and talking and napping. When we have to go and be social we kind of look at each other and say " Why did we say yes?"

I like big hotel rooms. I usually pick the largest room we can afford that offers light, air and space to spread out. Outdoor space is critical. Hence our thinking on a larger suite.

Our budget for this cruise is $5000 and some change.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:35 am
glg

Originally Posted by wrp96
In Juneau, if you want to do the Mt. Roberts Tram, booking directly with the cruiseline will cost you at least $15 more per person than just walking up and buying your own ticket. Plus by waiting until you are there to buy the ticket, you'll know whether the weather makes it worth doing the tram or not.
What cruise line is ripping you off that badly? I see it as $33 direct or $33 from cruise lines. The advice I've read still says to wait though, as there isn't much to see up there if there are low clouds/fog, so wait to buy until day of to make sure the wonderful views are actually visible.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by glg
What cruise line is ripping you off that badly? I see it as $33 direct or $33 from cruise lines. The advice I've read still says to wait though, as there isn't much to see up there if there are low clouds/fog, so wait to buy until day of to make sure the wonderful views are actually visible.
They've gotten better then. It used to be quite a difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.