Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

I am sure it has been considered, but I wonder if it might be reexamined.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.

I was reading a thread over on cruisecritic and someone mentioned they would like to see a Voyager class ship ported in Bayonne, along with Anthem. It got me to thinking, I wonder how much interest there would be in winter trips to Bermuda? No, the weather is not ideal, but even in April it's very nice. Yes, I know February is not April, but overall, it's a very nice spot; one of my favorite islands. Very historical and quite old itself. If people wanted water time there is always the indoor pool on the ship. A weak substitute, granted, but there would probably be killer fares.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
It amazes me that with so many cruise ships there remain some underutilized cruise ports! We (in NC) would love for another line to start using Norfolk again. Our first cruise together (2006) was on HAL from Norfolk (10 day Caribbean). Sure, the first day was rough and not warm, but the convenience of driving to the port was great^ We don't have any desire to cruise Carnival, so....

I think Baltimore, Charleston - lots of other east coast ports should be used more! (not sure everyone's infrastructure for embarking/debarking, so I get that, but still....Smaller ships should be able to do it!)
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:04 pm

Baltimore has bridge clearance issues and not enough smaller ships to go there. Carnival was supposedly in talks a few years ago to put a second ship there, at a pier on the north side of Locust Point, but it would have been a Fantasy class ship and those don't excite me at all. I really think Carnival should take the Costa Atlantica and put it in the Carnival fleet for North America. Those Spirit class ships are really popular.

For Bayonne, that was quite the upgrade to get the Anthem after having the Explorer for so many years, although I would like to see another ship there as well (a driveable port for us).
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:02 pm

Bermuda has a pretty nasty channel to get into the port, especially when dealing with larger ships. Not sure what the weather patterns are in the winter there, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would increase the odds of them not being able to make port.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by piper28
Bermuda has a pretty nasty channel to get into the port, especially when dealing with larger ships. Not sure what the weather patterns are in the winter there, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would increase the odds of them not being able to make port.
Downtown for sure. I believe most ships that go there now are larger and dock at Kings Wharf, which is pretty easy access, but really far from anything. I think it's just that Bermuda isn't that warm in the winter that it wouldn't be a huge draw. Even I, from Canada, want more than the 60's out of a winter getaway lol.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Randeman
I was reading a thread over on cruisecritic and someone mentioned they would like to see a Voyager class ship ported in Bayonne, along with Anthem.
My first reaction was how Bayonne could handle a ship that big but then I realised I was thinking of the wrong one.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
Originally Posted by DanJ
Downtown for sure. I believe most ships that go there now are larger and dock at Kings Wharf, which is pretty easy access, but really far from anything. I think it's just that Bermuda isn't that warm in the winter that it wouldn't be a huge draw. Even I, from Canada, want more than the 60's out of a winter getaway lol.
I have seen King's Wharf on itineraries, but I don't think I have ever been there. The last time I was in Bermuda, the Seven Seas Navigator was docked at Hamilton which couldn't be a better location.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Randeman
I have seen King's Wharf on itineraries, but I don't think I have ever been there. The last time I was in Bermuda, the Seven Seas Navigator was docked at Hamilton which couldn't be a better location.

Yeah, being right in Hamilton would be the ideal situation, especially since so many ships go there for multiple days. The dockyard is just so far out of the way for any kind of coming and going, especially for evening entertainment in town. The dockyard is less than 4 miles straight across to Hamilton, but about 15 miles by road. Holland America still does go downtown with their smaller ships, but none of the other mainstream cruise lines have anything that can get in there now, that I'm aware of.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
but it would have been a Fantasy class ship and those don't excite me at all.
I'm curious about the Fantasy class ships. Care to share more?

I'm not defending them, and I have never been on one but I have a cruise booked on Carnvial's Fantasy and I'm told they are undergoing the FunShip 2.0 upgrades.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
I'm curious about the Fantasy class ships. Care to share more?

I'm not defending them, and I have never been on one but I have a cruise booked on Carnvial's Fantasy and I'm told they are undergoing the FunShip 2.0 upgrades.
I'm a fan of larger ships, bells and whistles, etc. The Fantasy class certainly have their fans. It did just get a few of the new upgrades, like the popular Guys Burger joint, the Blue Iguana Cantina, and the poolside tequila and rum bars. Guys Burgers seem to be the one thing people use to differentiate the ships, those that have it and those that don't. They also don't have a lot of balcony choices, although some of the ships have had balconies retrofitted.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 12:20 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
I'm a fan of larger ships, bells and whistles, etc. The Fantasy class certainly have their fans. It did just get a few of the new upgrades, like the popular Guys Burger joint, the Blue Iguana Cantina, and the poolside tequila and rum bars. Guys Burgers seem to be the one thing people use to differentiate the ships, those that have it and those that don't. They also don't have a lot of balcony choices, although some of the ships have had balconies retrofitted.
I don't see the big deal with Guy's Burgers. They are way overcooked and dry due to the concern over salmonella. I always get my burgers rare to medium-rare because the fat gives them the flavor. When you cook all the fat out and then squeeze the rest of the fluid out of them it just has no taste except the add-ons you put on top of them.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by teddybear99
I don't see the big deal with Guy's Burgers. They are way overcooked and dry due to the concern over salmonella. I always get my burgers rare to medium-rare because the fat gives them the flavor. When you cook all the fat out and then squeeze the rest of the fluid out of them it just has no taste except the add-ons you put on top of them.
I've never had them myself. It's amazing though the number of people on Facebook cruise groups or Cruise Critic base their cruise solely on whether the ship has them or not. It's a mass cruise ship, I don't expect gourmet on board, especially for fast food.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've never had them myself. It's amazing though the number of people on Facebook cruise groups or Cruise Critic base their cruise solely on whether the ship has them or not. It's a mass cruise ship, I don't expect gourmet on board, especially for fast food.
As noted in another thread, the outrage on CC that Margaritaville went to a la carte is pretty sad. It's a bleepin' chain.

In another review, someone mentioned getting to Ft. Lauderdale a day early to visit a wonderful restaurant that is "such a treat since we don't have something like that at home." It was a Sweet Tomatoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.