Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Best way for family to keep in touch aboard a cruise ship?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond

I've read that some ships have phones that you can use to keep in touch, but I'm fairly sure ours will not. As I will be travelling with the entire family, plus parents, etc., what is the best way to stay in touch without having to constantly set meeting times, etc.

Fair enough if we're in range of cell-phone networks, but any other ideas when cruising in the middle of the ocean? Are walkie talkies common at all?
Old May 2, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Walkie talkies may or may not work. If you don't have them already I wouldn't buy them though.

Best non-technical suggestion I have is post it notes on the door of one cabin (for a large group pick a single cabin door as the post it note door). "Mom, we're going to meet in the buffet at 1pm" "Kids, we'll be by the adult pool until 4pm and then we are going to the martini tasting in the SkyBar at 4:30"

My cruise roommate and I use this method all the time. Plus the post its come in handy if we need to leave a note for the stateroom attendant "can you please bring me some ice for this champagne?" etc.

What ship/cruiseline are you sailing? We may be able to give you more specific suggestions if we know that information.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Hi, we'll be on the RC Voyager of the Seas. Party of 6 spread across two junior suites, same floor but several cabins away from each other just to keep a safe distance.

With kids coming as well we might have LOTS of times where there is a change of plans, kids wanting one thing over another. Sure, we can probably still manage meeting points, etc., but I was just curious if there is some other way to track/communicate with others whilst onboard. I take it the cabins will at least have phones installed for calling other cabins, and there will be phones placed throughout the ship for that purpose too?
Old May 2, 2014, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by aster
Sure, we can probably still manage meeting points, etc., but I was just curious if there is some other way to track/communicate with others whilst onboard.
My opinion is: agree in advance which meals you're going to dine together at. Agree to meet at your cabin before shore excursions. Agree to meet at your cabin at the time of debarkation. Otherwise, let the kids go on their own. Just forget about the rest. And hope to gosh that they'll forget about you. They won't go hungry, get lost, or fall overboard. They can figure out the safety drill on their own, too. Whatever happens to them, the ship staff can help, and if something serous occurs, they can find you. Remember, the crew has pictures of everyone! Let it be a vacation. If they choose to stay out drinking soda on the Lido deck all night, don't worry--it's their vacation. You probably do not need to "track/communicate" with them. That's just your own obsessive/compulsive nature rearing it's head, trying to ruin the vacation. Relax, it will all work out.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:05 am

I definitely don't recommend any sort of walkie-talkie type things. A) they just don't work well on a ship (being a large piece of metal, it blocks signals pretty well) and b) they're really annoying to other passengers when you're yelling back and forth trying to be understood through the things.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Kids will be 7 & 4.5 so quite young. There are loads of activities for kids' though from what I've read, including this dining scheme where they come and take your kids away after 40 mins.

But overall they will need to be looked after constantly. Their climbing abilities and the notion of being on a ship are not a good mix.

The ship apparently also has child minding/babysitting services, I wonder what the charges are like per hour for that. Might be another option for us to explore.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
With young kids like you will need to pick them up/drop them off for all activities. They shouldn't ever be allowed to roam away from you.

Yes there are in cabin phones that can be used to call from cabin to cabin (and yes they have voice mail).

One recommendation I have for you, if you haven't already, is visit the boards at www.cruisecritic.com I can almost guarantee that someone there can answer all your questions to the nth degree. For you I would recommend asking your questions about babysitting/communication on the Family Cruising section and then any other questions (alcohol, tipping, etc) I would ask on the Royal Caribbean section (you can ask the babysitting, communication questions there too but you are likely to get very specific family friendly cruising advice on the Family Cruising section).
Old May 2, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by aster
Kids will be 7 & 4.5 so quite young... Their climbing abilities and the notion of being on a ship are not a good mix.
Well for some reason the talk of martini tasting made me think you were bringing teenagers. 7 and 4.5... yeah. Better keep an eye on the 4yo at least.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:07 am

Take the kids to kid's camp. You will not see them the rest of the day. And after they have gone once, they will not want to see you the rest of the day. Plus they have nighttime activities for the kids. Go and enjoy yourself, and do very little planning.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:36 am

Years ago we were on a megaship with a group of people and we all used walkie talkies. They were very easy and we were careful not to annoy other people i.e. moved away and spoke quietly. The ship did not hinder communication (must have some bad walkie talkies if it would do that).
Old May 6, 2014, 7:08 am

We have used Walkie Talkies for years and have had no problems with them working. Or annoying other cruisers as we move away from others when using them.

We have also used the dollar store wipe off boards. You can attach (magnets) these to the outside of your doors, so other family/friends can read them.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:10 pm

Free Wi-Fi on Royal Caribbean sailings

http://cruisesource.us/2014/06/free-...bbean-cruises/

This cruisedeal.com on Royal Caribbean for free wi-fi may help your family stay in contact while on board. It reduces some costs.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
VOS, like other similar cruise ships have in-room voice mail system, call & leave a message (plus leave sticky's as suggested)

Designate a centralized public meeting place for everyone @ a preset time if lost/unable to get in touch (nobody in the cabin, etc.)

Depending on your carrier/mobile plans - texting/SMS can be almost free or inexpensive to receive messages, and typically no more than 25 cents or 50 cents (USD) to send a 160 character text.

If you are staying in a suite, penthouse or similar higher tier, comp. use of ship-only (Nokia-style) candybar phone are often included - check with your cruise planner or TA.

Walkie-Talkies are nice gadgets but if they work so well, ship officers & crews would all be carrying & using them, right ... The select few are issued candybar phones exclusive to the ship's network and everyone else use the ship's hard-wired telephone system & extension phones found everywhere. Your typical UHF WT's are point-to-point communications ideally suited for unobstructed outdoor line-of-sights use, but you are free to believe otherwise. Keep in mind that at foreign ports-of-calls, use of devices might be restricted or prohibited by local regulations. Lastly, buy plenty of batteries and/or be prepared to do a lot recharging - they are very expensive onboard.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Disney Cruises offer cordless phones in all cabins that work throughout the ship. There is even a rudimentary texting app built-in.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9489/Firs...ew_Wave_phones
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
The newer NCL ships have the option to use their I-concierge app. For $7.95 per device you set up to make and receive call between the device and other devices signed up and staterooms. You can also send text messages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.