Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Travel Agents of Any Value?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ak333
Some of us have not only been travel agents for a long time, we are also long time FT members as well.
Last year, I reached out to a TA/Long Time FTer mod to discuss/bid on my cruise.

He said: "No can do. It would be a conflict of interest."
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:05 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Last year, I reached out to a TA/Long Time FTer mod to discuss/bid on my cruise.

He said: "No can do. It would be a conflict of interest."
At least here on FT you can mention TA websites. Over on Cruise Critic, it's verboten.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
We have cruised a lot.

I check at least two websites ( discounters, sign up for specials etc)
When I see a buy, I compare with cruise line direct, check what "official" discounts I am entitled to ....then send the sale details from mass marketer to my TA and ask if he can beat it. He has failed me once out of 12 times I have contacted him !
Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Does Costco count as a TA?

I'm leaning toward using Costco as the TA for my July 2015 cruise from Barcelona to Athens. The prices on the Princess and Costco travel websites are identical, and Costco will give me some kind of onboard credit. They're also pretty good with customer service, so I imagine if I have a problem, they'll stand behind what they're selling me.

I'm reluctant to use a "real" travel agent because I expect to use hotel points on my hotels in Barcelona and Athens, and would like to use airline miles for at least one of the four tickets I'll need into Barcelona and out of Athens. I think I sound like a cheapskate, nightmare client, but going through Costco means no fuss.

Am I making a mistake? Would it be worthwhile for a "real" travel agent to work with me?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by Don in LA
I'm leaning toward using Costco as the TA for my July 2015 cruise from Barcelona to Athens. The prices on the Princess and Costco travel websites are identical, and Costco will give me some kind of onboard credit. They're also pretty good with customer service, so I imagine if I have a problem, they'll stand behind what they're selling me.

I'm reluctant to use a "real" travel agent because I expect to use hotel points on my hotels in Barcelona and Athens, and would like to use airline miles for at least one of the four tickets I'll need into Barcelona and out of Athens. I think I sound like a cheapskate, nightmare client, but going through Costco means no fuss.

Am I making a mistake? Would it be worthwhile for a "real" travel agent to work with me?
Absolutely nothing wrong with Costco, just make sure to get a "live" person phone number to call in case of problems. ^
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Another vote for Costco + doing you own thing. Not for everyone, but for your situation.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I haven't booked a cruise anywhere, and I like Costco, but I'd certainly check out some recommended cruise TAs. I've heard that they often have quite the amount of extras they can give you.

I hope to book my first cruise next year some time, and will certainly check out Costco, but will certainly consider competent TAs.

I'd certainly think that if you want to book the cruise only, a reasonable TA would have no problem with it.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:25 pm

TA benefits

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thrill...b_5591994.html

The article forgot that a travel agent does not cost!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:42 am

Many cruises always TA

I have been on at least 20 cruise over the years and my agent always keeps on top of the deals and sometimes gets reductions as the departure approaches.
We had a terrible experience about 15 years ago when our luggage was stolen and while on ship she was able to work with airline, cruise line to try to track things down and get money from both to purchase clothing and such.
We have travelled all over the world on ships and she is always an email/phone call away.
This year after booking a cruise for the coming year she noticed the line introduce a deal inside for outside. As we were already booked she went to bat for us with the company and got the deal.
Also we use our points many times for flights and hotels she has no problem with us booking that on our own as we have done for this new cruise.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: none
I like to use a TA only because I like to give money to a local business as opposed to dealing with the giant companies myself...it's all about supporting the local people and keeping them employed
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Platinum
As a 50+ cruiser, I offer the following recommendation. Book with the cruise line after you get your best deal.

Then you find a travel agent that will give you the most benefits, such a on board credits, wine, tips, etc. From the cruise line web site, you can download a form that will allow you to transfer the booking to your selected agent. Fill it out and FAX or mail to the cruise line.

Voila, you have the best of both worlds -- lowest cruise price and all the benefits of an agent.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

has anyone ever done a deal with an agent where agent passed on commission in form of discount of onboard credit etc?

im not really talking about the usual 10% commission. im talking about the cruise deals where cruiselines offer 20-25% or more commission as a special sales promotion. cant recall the highest ive seen, but they can be very high.

rogodwin, indeed, probably called "taking over reservation" or something similar, thats what its called for hotel reservations.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:05 pm

TA

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
has anyone ever done a deal with an agent where agent passed on commission in form of discount of onboard credit etc?

im not really talking about the usual 10% commission. im talking about the cruise deals where cruiselines offer 20-25% or more commission as a special sales promotion. cant recall the highest ive seen, but they can be very high.

rogodwin, indeed, probably called "taking over reservation" or something similar, thats what its called for hotel reservations.
Not sure if it works out to the percent amount but mine gives me a generous OBC
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LillianJ
Not sure if it works out to the percent amount but mine gives me a generous OBC
and its above / beyond OBC offered by any consortium they may be part of (virtuoso etc) ?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
Originally Posted by Don in LA

I'm also considering your Costco for this same cruise, I do like the large OBC being offered by costco, I haven't pulled the trigger yet, still thinking about their $25 change fee if the rates do go down. On my last cruise prices fell more than one.

Other than the change fee, I can't find any other negatives with using Costco. Can anyone think of any other reasons not to use Costco?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.