Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Dispute over the Falklands and repercussions

http://en.mercopress.com/2012/12/12/...s-omit-ushuaia
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://en.mercopress.com/2012/12/12/...s-omit-ushuaia

Seabourn Sojourn was boarded in Buenos Aires by a gang of radical thugs, with the support of the maritime workers union and the passivity of law enforcement agents and delayed until forced to sign
suddenly even small ships dont seem appealing
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Falklands/Malvinas

Too bad about Ushuaia. I have not been able to understand what the crazy nationalism in Argentina is all about. I love Argentina and visit as often as I can but the vast majority of its citizens are completely brainwashed and incapable of even entertaining that there may be other opinions.
I understand Argentina's claims to the islands, however I do not agree with them any more than if Mexico still claimed California.
Moreover, I believe that self-determination is the key and in the Falkland's case, the citizens there have made it clear to remain a UK protectorate.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Much of the folderol is actually political - President CFKs unpopularity ratings are going to break the sound barrier soon, so the nationalist schtick is used to divert peoples' attention from the many problems Argentina is experiencing due to Mrs. Cristina Fernández de Kirchner 's ministrations.

I don't have much more to say about that, as this is a cruise forum and not one on political discussions, best carried out in OMNI/PR.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:10 am

The way to unite a country is to convince its people that they have a common enemy.Twas always thus and twas always thus will be.

(Musolini and Mr. Keating, Dead Poets Society, respectively).

Self-determination is a reasonable approach in principle. However, how long will it be before Palestine is colonised to the point of determining to be part of Israel?

I am reminded of an episode of the BBC's masterful comedy 'Yes Minister' when Sir Humphrey (head of the Civil Service and therefore a-political) explains the British approach of dividing and leaving a country to ensure they are more pre-occupied with themselves rather than with Britian. He lists British foreign policy successes - India, the Middle East, Cyprus and Ireland!

The British should never have been in the Falklands anyway but they were practically everywhere not so long ago. The old maps still in use at mother's school when she was a girl showed two-thirds of the World "pink" meaning British.

Like the Gibraltarans, the Falklanders tend to be much more pro-Britain than the British. It is not easy to see a solution when there are politicians fanning the nationalistic flames.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.