Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Tipping in Italy

Tipping in Italy

Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Tipping in Italy

Slightly OT, but so many cruise itineraries include Italian ports!

Great help from my friend Katie Parla who lives in Rome and writes and travels extensively.

http://www.parlafood.com/tips-for-tipping-in-italy/
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Katie's site is fantastic! We're visiting Rome and the Italian Riviera this month and used Katie's site to draw up a list of must-visit restaurants.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Yes, she's a treasure and for the last two years I have booked a day with her as a guide, seeing things off the beaten path, so to speak. She is so knowledgeable with her background in art history from Yale.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
I've seen her site before and it's really helpful. About tipping though...is it about expectations? I mean, sure the locals don't expect tips from the locals - but do they assume or expect a tip to come from the obvious foreigners?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: BMI Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Excellent find.......
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
We tip the same in Italy as we do in any European country. Most of the places we have bid, the tip is already included so we don't feel compelled to tip extra.

Good write up though.

We tend to go to the local places where there are not tons of tourists, so have not really run into the servizio situation. There is sometimes a pane charge if you sit outside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.