Sneaking Alcohol on a Cruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sneaking Alcohol on a Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Exec., Delta Silver
Lightbulb Sneaking Alcohol on a Cruise

I need RECENT result on if you tried to sneak alcohol on a cruise. I set sail on Sunday and would like some more recent feedback. Thanks!

@:-)
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Depends on the cruise line. Some don't care, some won't let any on, some allow one bottle. Which cruise line?

We were on RCCL in April, every bag carried on gets scanned when you come back from each port stop and at initial boarding. If they think there's liquid in it they ask to check it, mark the alcohol with your cabin number and give it to you the last evening.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Exec., Delta Silver
Originally Posted by cordelli
Depends on the cruise line. Some don't care, some won't let any on, some allow one bottle. Which cruise line?

We were on RCCL in April, every bag carried on gets scanned when you come back from each port stop and at initial boarding. If they think there's liquid in it they ask to check it, mark the alcohol with your cabin number and give it to you the last evening.

Cruising on Carnival Sensation
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruis...ze-cruise.html
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Carnival has recently stepped up enforcement of the alcohol policy. Your booze will probably be confiscated.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United, HAL Mariners Society-3 star, Travel Century Club Member (102 countries visited)
Holland America allows you to bring wine and sodas on board. Maybe even hard liquor, but no beer. Check them out. People pack on cases of wine which can be consumed in the room, but requires a $15 corkage fee if served in the dining rooms. Often, there are liquor stores near the ports Holland America frequents, well-known by its loyal passengers who stock up before they come on board.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:54 pm

I usually cruise RCI and have managed to get boxed wine on. I cruise on Carnival next month and their website stated that PAX 21 years and older may bring on one bottle of wine per person.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, All on my own dime.
I have an acquaintance that fills one of those big, sturdy plastic cups that have the straws through the lid on the tip with vodka. The straw has a cap on the end. It holds about a quart of liquid and he and his partner carry it on board like its water. Never been stopped, never been questioned. They periodically "sip" on the straw to make it seem legit (I guess).
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: TK Elite, QR Gold
Originally Posted by Randeman
I have an acquaintance that fills one of those big, sturdy plastic cups that have the straws through the lid on the tip with vodka. The straw has a cap on the end. It holds about a quart of liquid and he and his partner carry it on board like its water. Never been stopped, never been questioned. They periodically "sip" on the straw to make it seem legit (I guess).
WOW... what a great tip. I love how some people come up with innovative ideas. there is always a loop hole ^
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
That's a good one! I'm going to try it on my next cruise.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Last December, we took 9 bottles of wine onto a Princess ship. No questions. Now corkage is a different issue, but there are ways around that, too.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I've had clients tell me they did much the same with water bottles they filled up on shore with vodka. Now I like my spirits to a certain degree especially while on holiday but I can't see myself going to such lengths to smuggle libations on board a cruise ship. YMMV obviously but luckily HAL never objected to my Alaskan beer I brought back from a shore excursion and enjoyed over the next few days. I gather from talking to others HAL is more lenient than some other cruise lines.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:54 pm

I have never found a way around the corkage fee? How do you get around it?
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
I never had a problem carrying on a bottle of rum and vodka onto Princess, but I haven't cruised in a few years. IMO, the cost/risk of bring on the rum/vodka is worth the savings/convenience.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jaguare
I have never found a way around the corkage fee? How do you get around it?
Get glasses from any bar. Open the bottle in your room. Fill your glasses and carry them into the dining room. You can also try carrying the already-opened bottle in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.